• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commuting with offpeak returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

orpine

I was wondering, what's the best way to commute using Offpeak returns? I don't want to buy a season ticket (it's more expensive!), and nor do I want to buy a ticket every day manually.
Is there some way of buying lots of tickets at once easily?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
If you buy the exact same ticket every day, or every two days or something, our ticket office software can choose multiple dates, so why not ask a friendly ticket office clerk. We do it all the time for people who buy a railcard-discounted Anytime Day Return as it is cheaper than a weekly travelcard or Oyster!

MarlowDonkey

Or you can book them online and collect them all in one go from a TVM.

Simplest really. If your starting station doesn't have a machine, you may need to receive the initial tickets by post.

It's a surprise that those who travel regularly but not often enough or at times to justify a season ticket don't pre-book and collect rather than have to defy the queues, seek out the guard or the Excess Fares window at their destination.

gray1404

Established Member
With 1% cashback in Nectar points via First TOCs and slightly more if done through Quidco.

Or like myself Nectar points, 2% cash back via Quidco and First Hull Trains AND cash back on the visa card I use to buy the tickets with.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Carnet tickets!

Nah, they're often based on the Anytime fare not the off peak fare, as well as the issue JakeF mentions.

On WebTIS websites you can buy up to five separate journeys in one transaction, I'd agree with the recommendation to use First Hull Trains via Quidco (2 Nectar points per £1 spend, 2% Quidco cashback), that should do you for a week.

westv

Established Member
Wouldn't it be good if there was some way that you could pay a lump sum amount of money in advance which then enabled you to travel, say, 2 journeys a week over the year between two points. Each journey costing the same as you would pay per journey for 5 journeys a week if buying an annual season ticket.

talldave

Established Member
Wouldn't it be good if there was some way that you could pay a lump sum amount of money in advance which then enabled you to travel, say, 2 journeys a week over the year between two points. Each journey costing the same as you would pay per journey for 5 journeys a week if buying an annual season ticket.

That's just the sort of functionality that smart cards could offer, if only TOCs weren't so incapable in the technology department . It's the same frustration as in the energy industry where smart meters could enable all sorts of dynamic tarrif options, if only the post-privatised industry wasn't wasn't so lacking in business vision.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hang on, so someone making 2 journeys a week should get the same discount as an annual season ticket holder.

Doesn't seem quite right.

westv

Established Member
Hang on, so someone making 2 journeys a week should get the same discount as an annual season ticket holder.

Why not if they pay for 12 months in advance?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

So if I pay a year up front could I buy all my train travel at the same rate as a season ticket holder?

westv

Established Member

So if I pay a year up front could I buy all my train travel at the same rate as a season ticket holder?
If it's between two fixed points and 1 or 2 times a week then yes. You would effectively be buying a limited use annual season ticket.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So how much would I pay if I had to make a 3rd journey one week?

miami

Established Member
If it's between two fixed points and 1 or 2 times a week then yes. You would effectively be buying a limited use annual season ticket.

And these exist, at least a 3 weekday one. For example an Ivybridge-Plymouth "MO TU TH &WKND" season for £580 per year, compared with £852 for a normal 7 day ticket, or about £850 for 3 days a week buying anytime singles.

They are the exception rather than the rule.

orpine

Thanks for the thoughts. Probably going to end up doing the quidco thing, but for the new few trips it will be lots-bought-at-once-at-the-ticket-office.

Status
Not open for further replies.