• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies that make you think "how are they still going "

Status
Not open for further replies.

overthewater

Established Member
Are there any companies that make you think "how are there still going " either because of the state of the buses or the routes operated etc

* Avondale based in Glasgow who operate 7/8 min service on most of its routes, with around 16 buses running about. Im surprised Mcgills have never taken them over or cut the service back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Buses Etcetera - except for their school runs, I have never seen one of their vehicles with more than 3 or 4 people on board - including the driver...

alex397

Established Member
Nu-venture in west Kent. I think they are an excellent company - clean buses and good drivers whenever I've used them. Whenever i've seen on been on their buses, or seen photos, the buses only have a small handful of passengers. The exception being their school workings, which must be their 'bread and butter'.

jamesst

Happy Als on Wirral. Some decent coaches but otherwise a mix of dirty knackered old buses in many contrasting liverys held together with gaffer tape.

Typhoon

Established Member
Nu-venture in west Kent. I think they are an excellent company - clean buses and good drivers whenever I've used them. Whenever i've seen on been on their buses, or seen photos, the buses only have a small handful of passengers. The exception being their school workings, which must be their 'bread and butter'.

I've been on some of their routes in Medway and Maidstone, many journeys had reasonable loadings. Almost all the fleet is second hand (they had Titans until recently - end of 2016, I think), nothing wrong with that but obviously cheaper than Arriva's inflow of new vehicles. A few journeys had low numbers but these services 'operate on behalf of' Medway or KCC. Arriva don't seem keen on subsidised services (they have dropped a couple like the 58 which Nu-venture have picked up). I think there have been a couple of services which they themselves have dropped, because the numbers weren't there. They seem particularly good at keeping passengers informed. On some routes at least the drivers seem to know the passengers, which helps.

I would say they were a well run company - quite large for an independent - who live within their means and operate the types of routes that Arriva won't touch in a county where the authorities are still prepared to put their hands in their pockets. If they weren't there, someone would have to invent them.

Typhoon

Established Member
Didn't they take over Kent Top Travel which was Kent's "in house" firm at one point?
They were based in the same town (Aylesford), where KCCs Highways and Transportation Unit is based, they might well have taken over some of the routes when Kent Top Travel contracts expired* but my understanding is that the contracts were all put out to tender. Certainly in East Kent the main beneficiary was Stagecoach (Park & Ride, 36) but then Nu-venture don't venture too far from their mid Kent base - probably wisely.

* I can't think of any off-hand but that is probably down to senility/ not being fully awake!

Typhoon

Established Member
They were based in the same town (Aylesford), where KCCs Highways and Transportation Unit is based, they might well have taken over some of the routes when Kent Top Travel contracts expired* but my understanding is that the contracts were all put out to tender. Certainly in East Kent the main beneficiary was Stagecoach (Park & Ride, 36) but then Nu-venture don't venture too far from their mid Kent base - probably wisely.

* I can't think of any off-hand but that is probably down to senility/ not being fully awake!

I believe they staffed some Kent Top Travel journeys as the operation ran down.

(Definitely senility/ not being fully awake.)

whhistle

On Moderation
Confidence around Leicester.
They had really old buses but must have done something right over the past 10 years as I've seen much newer examples around.

Lynford1976

Renown of Bexhill
Buses Excetera of Merstham (although I gather they are in some trouble)
Arriva Southern Counties!

route101

Established Member
Colciri in Glasgow, there buses always seem to be empty.

Was on Colchri 22 from Braehead to Silverburn other day and it was a busy wee optare , i think they have some loyal customers as the driver knew plenty of passengers and waved to plenty of people on the street .

route101

Established Member
Are there any companies that make you think "how are there still going " either because of the state of the buses or the routes operated etc

* Avondale based in Glasgow who operate 7/8 min service on most of its routes, with around 16 buses running about. Im surprised Mcgills have never taken them over or cut the service back.

The Avondale driver dont seem to wear a uniform . I think they might have a few loyal customers .

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Was on Colchri 22 from Braehead to Silverburn other day and it was a busy wee optare , i think they have some loyal customers as the driver knew plenty of passengers and waved to plenty of people on the street .

Must be at the wrong time of day to see it busy. Every time I see the Colchri service at Silverburn it's pretty empty.

route101

Established Member
Must be at the wrong time of day to see it busy. Every time I see the Colchri service at Silverburn it's pretty empty.

I took it for no reason than other to see what route it took . Was busiest leaving braehead , was around 3 on Tuesday there.

A Challenge

Established Member
With Buses Excetra in my area it appears to depend on the route, but I am surprised it hasn't gone as the ones that generally have passengers are mostly duplications of other routes.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
So that's three of us naming Buses Excetera whereas the other companies listed are only getting one mention each.

That in itself says something doesn't it?

I am sorely tempted to post their nickname...

alex397

Established Member
I've been on some of their routes in Medway and Maidstone, many journeys had reasonable loadings. Almost all the fleet is second hand (they had Titans until recently - end of 2016, I think), nothing wrong with that but obviously cheaper than Arriva's inflow of new vehicles. A few journeys had low numbers but these services 'operate on behalf of' Medway or KCC. Arriva don't seem keen on subsidised services (they have dropped a couple like the 58 which Nu-venture have picked up). I think there have been a couple of services which they themselves have dropped, because the numbers weren't there. They seem particularly good at keeping passengers informed. On some routes at least the drivers seem to know the passengers, which helps.

I would say they were a well run company - quite large for an independent - who live within their means and operate the types of routes that Arriva won't touch in a county where the authorities are still prepared to put their hands in their pockets. If they weren't there, someone would have to invent them.

Good to hear you have been on some busy journeys. I have only ever travelled on their services in the off-peak. I agree, I also think they are are well run company. Their good drivers, clean buses, and punctuality are proof of that. The reason I listed them on here, is because I am surprised a company is able to support themselves just on Kent/Medway contracted routes (although they do have some commercial routes). They don't really appear on private hire, or even rail replacement, very often.

Banga Buses

The name says it all :D

Renown of Bexhill
Buses Excetera of Merstham (although I gather they are in some trouble)
Arriva Southern Counties!

Not sure I would agree with Renown. Although they do sometimes have some scruffy buses. But generally they have a smart fleet, and they seem to run the 297 (Tunbridge Wells - Tenterden) route quite well. Drivers usually professional and polite. They also don't rely too heavily on council contracted routes. They are often seen on private hire and rail replacement

Typhoon

Established Member
Not sure I would agree with Renown. Although they do sometimes have some scruffy buses. But generally they have a smart fleet, and they seem to run the 297 (Tunbridge Wells - Tenterden) route quite well. Drivers usually professional and polite. They also don't rely too heavily on council contracted routes. They are often seen on private hire and rail replacement

The reservation I would have about Renown is that they take on work some distance from their base. They took on and have now handed back their routes in the Rye area. I travelled on the 313 last summer and was quite surprised at the numbers travelling. Whether the inland routes generate the same numbers I'm not certain. From talking to a couple of drivers from their previous incarnation, numbers fluctuate dramatically between school-time journeys and others. There is precious little room for route development in their Bexhill base - they have been left with Bexhill locals, 297 and school buses.

Buses are generally fine, and a livery you can't miss!

smtglasgow

About 10 years ago there was a report in The Herald that Strathclyde Police was investigating some West of Scotland bus operators over allegations of money laundering. Don’t remember ever seeing any follow up, but its always been a badly kept secret that money laundering is endemic in the area. There is no doubt that between roughly 2000 and 2010 there was a rash of small cowboy firms running around – many of which didn’t seem to be too bothered about carrying any passengers! Is this just a west of Scotland phenomenon?

6Gman

Established Member
About 10 years ago there was a report in The Herald that Strathclyde Police was investigating some West of Scotland bus operators over allegations of money laundering. Don’t remember ever seeing any follow up, but its always been a badly kept secret that money laundering is endemic in the area. There is no doubt that between roughly 2000 and 2010 there was a rash of small cowboy firms running around – many of which didn’t seem to be too bothered about carrying any passengers! Is this just a west of Scotland phenomenon?

I remember those reports, but I also seem to remember reading an official statement that no evidence of such money laundering had been found.

Not aware of any suggestions of it happening elsewhere, though the West Midlands has had some ... interesting ... operators over the years.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Would say Select Buses (Staffordshire) & the trio of Sunny Travel, Discount Travel Solutions and Social Travel in Solihull.

For a close seconds I would have said anything run by Mike James of Tamworth Bus and Coach/Heartlands/People Movers/North Warwickshire Travel. He's a dealer who happens to run buses (when the TC will let him!).

overthewater

Established Member
I remember those reports, but I also seem to remember reading an official statement that no evidence of such money laundering had been found.

Not aware of any suggestions of it happening elsewhere, though the West Midlands has had some ... interesting ... operators over the years.

I do found it strange that many of the companies disappeared shortly after the new Scottish Government ticket machines come in to operation.

Typhoon

Established Member
Would say Select Buses (Staffordshire) & the trio of Sunny Travel, Discount Travel Solutions and Social Travel in Solihull.

For years Birmingham (and other parts of the West Midlands) have attracted operators who run on existing operator's route (normally NEx) with weird timetables. Take, for example, Sunny Travel's 11C (https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/timetables/#/route/cen_5311C_ _H_y11-9 and download timetable) or Discount Travel Solutions' 11A (https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/plan-your-journey/timetables/#/route/cen_4811A_ _H_y11-7) - a gap of 140 minutes followed by a gap of less than 30 minutes on routes where there is an 8 minute service. They cannot build up loyalty like this, no opportunity to develop multi-journey tickets, which the main operators have. I have nothing against competition but this is pointless. When I lived in Birmingham most potential passengers just let them pass by. Certain routes like the 97 used to attract these types of operator; in a years time they would have gone.

Observer

a gap of 140 minutes followed by a gap of less than 30 minutes on routes where there is an 8 minute service
The obvious reason for this being that it is utilising one driver per bus, when it is time for the meal break due to driver hours regulations, the bus is off, no relief driver employed to take care of that. Not a lot of companies will hire a driver just for a few hours of work at lunchtimes every day unless they have other work to do between that such as a school contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.