• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Typhoon

Established Member
Not sure about their history but in the current climate of renovation, house building, buy to let, second homes, and many people flipping houses; it seems odd to have a bathroom business going down the drain...
Very good! I see the administrators have pulled the plug on the installation service. More seriously, they mention 530 staff, but there will also be small businesses who did the installation work. I think there is a fair chance that some of these will be facing tough times.

Regarding buy to let, just five minutes watching Homes Under The Hammer will convince anyone that the emphasis is on cheap and quick and that is not Bathstore. (And how regularly do you change your bath/ shower?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
Pizza express is reported to be struggling and has huge debts as the casual dining sector continues to decline

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Pizza express is reported to be struggling and has huge debts as the casual dining sector continues to decline
Luke Johnson's old ventures not doing very well, are they? First Patisserie Valerie, now this.

underbank

Established Member

Same old story of crap service. We went in twice last year, 2 different outlets. First time, pizza was burnt but cold and hard. Second time, they completely forgot MIL's lasagne so we'd all finished before she got her meal. Neither time were they busy,neither peak times - just too busy horsing around and talking/laughing with other staff.

Iskra

Established Member
Same old story of crap service. We went in twice last year, 2 different outlets. First time, pizza was burnt but cold and hard. Second time, they completely forgot MIL's lasagne so we'd all finished before she got her meal. Neither time were they busy,neither peak times - just too busy horsing around and talking/laughing with other staff.

Agreed. Also it’s mediocre quality, expensive and the ingredients are previously frozen. You can get better, fresher Italian food at the same prices quite easily.

I made the mistake of allowing my employees to choose our Christmas do meal venue and they chose Pizza Express this year. 18 of us booked in at 8pm, so not that late, but there was only 1 other booking after us. The waitress walked up to our table and let out a loud sigh before taking our order, and the staff generally just made us feel like a total inconvenience to them. That’s not the vibe you want to be giving someone who is spending £500 with you!

Another chain I won’t be sorry to see go.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Pizza Express are always participating in O2's Priority offer. Their pizzas are nice for a fiver, but I wouldn't pay much more. The last few times I've been in one of their branches, it's been on 02 Priority £5 deal.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I have been thinking for sometime now, why does anyone go into pizza restaurants these days? you can get just as good in a supermarket at a fraction of the price and it is not difficult to cook it in an oven. Personally I am quite happy with cheese on toast.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have been thinking for sometime now, why does anyone go into pizza restaurants these days? you can get just as good in a supermarket at a fraction of the price and it is not difficult to cook it in an oven. Personally I am quite happy with cheese on toast.
I personally have never found a pizza
in a supermarket that tastes as good as a “takeaway” style pizza (eg. Dominos/Pizza Hut) or a “restaurant” style pizza (eg. Franco Manca/Pizza Express).

I love Pizza Express; without a doubt my favourite restaurant; I love the food they serve. I think their problem is that they have so many branches; many of them in obscure places, and they very rarely seem to be busy, even on busy dates or in busy locations. We went there on Valentine’s Day and the place was only half full.

I personally would plan to go there for dinner because I like it so much, but in a way it’s a bit like Zizzi, the kind of place you go to because every other restaurant is full rather than the place people plan to go to.

underbank

Established Member

We only have them when we're away so don't have access to an oven. We've never ordered in a takeaway pizza when at home and don't go to restaurants near home. As you say, cheaper to buy and cook yourself.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Pizza Express are always participating in O2's Priority offer. Their pizzas are nice for a fiver, but I wouldn't pay much more. The last few times I've been in one of their branches, it's been on 02 Priority £5 deal.
I only have a Pizza Express when I go to stay with my sister: it has to be a takeaway as she's housebound, and I go to collect because half-hour old pizza is inedible. The fact that I then pay twenty odd pounds for two average pizzas does rather p*ss me off, though.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I only have a Pizza Express when I go to stay with my sister: it has to be a takeaway as she's housebound, and I go to collect because half-hour old pizza is inedible. The fact that I then pay twenty odd pounds for two average pizzas does rather p*ss me off, though.
I’ve always thought it a bit cheeky how the offers seem to exclude Take-a-ways, meaning that it is often cheaper to eat in with two pizzas, a starter/dessert and a drink each than it is to just get two Pizzas in a box. I suppose drinks is where they make their money and there’s no point ordering a drink from them if you’re eating at home.

richw

Veteran Member
I’ve always thought it a bit cheeky how the offers seem to exclude Take-a-ways, meaning that it is often cheaper to eat in with two pizzas, a starter/dessert and a drink each than it is to just get two Pizzas in a box. I suppose drinks is where they make their money and there’s no point ordering a drink from them if you’re eating at home.

The mark up on fizzy soft drinks is 100 times or more!

ComUtoR

Established Member
I personally have never found a pizza
in a supermarket that tastes as good as a “takeaway” style pizza (eg. Dominos/Pizza Hut) or a “restaurant” style pizza (eg. Franco Manca/Pizza Express).

ASDA

Their over the counter, create your own pizza is pretty decent. Nice price too. Typically found near the deli counter.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
ASDA

Their over the counter, create your own pizza is pretty decent. Nice price too. Typically found near the deli counter.
I’ve had those pizzas before from both Sainsbury’s and Asda’s, and I still don’t think they’re as nice as ones you can eat out or buy on take-a-way.

richw

Veteran Member
ASDA

I second this. £3.xx for a 14inch with my preferred toppings. Always enjoy these

scotrail158713

Established Member
ASDA

I’d agree with you on that. My local ASDA stops that service at 5pm on a Saturday though. <(
It’s possibly the least customer-friendly store I’ve been in in my life.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I still don’t think they’re as nice as ones you can eat out or buy on take-a-way.

I've kinda gone off takeaway pizza. They really have gotten expensive too.

ASDA (for me) is the best supermarket one but they tend to over stack the toppings. The packets always bulge. Value wise that's superb but not everyone likes a well topped pizza. I've also found that because it's fresh; it will cook very quickly. Getting them to make it lets you control how much they use and you can go more cheese and less other bits.

What I like to do is under cook it slightly and then blast the top under the grill to get the cheese nice and golden. This also stops the bread going solid or too crispy. Change the way you cook it :) Get yourself a Pizza tray too as I found those can make a huge difference. If your preference is Pizza Hut. Brush with oil...

What me and the kids love the most is just getting some pizza dough (the roll out kind) and making our own.

Now I'm craving Pizza !

scotrail158713

Established Member
Flour, Water, Yeast, Olive Oil, Salt, Sugar. Elbow Grease. Save a fortune on buying it and much nicer with zero additives.
Some bread machines also have a setting which makes pizza dough - you just put those ingredients in the machine and it makes it.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Some bread machines also have a setting which makes pizza dough - you just put those ingredients in the machine and it makes it.

I have several friends who own bread making machines that they bought and now no longer use. They are stored away somewhere in the back of the kitchen.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Isn't that true with all other restaurants?
You don't just go for the food, but also the experience, plus freshly prepared food always trumps pre packed superamrket stuff.

deltic

Established Member
Isn't that true with all other restaurants?
You don't just go for the food, but also the experience, plus freshly prepared food always trumps pre packed superamrket stuff.

Except many chain restaurants are not using freshly prepared food. Things like salads come out of a plastic bag having been portion controlled in some central distribution centre, some dishes and breads have been part-cooked and frozen and are just finished off in your local restaurant.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Except many chain restaurants are not using freshly prepared food. Things like salads come out of a plastic bag having been portion controlled in some central distribution centre, some dishes and breads have been part-cooked and frozen and are just finished off in your local restaurant.

Which is probably why they are all failing.
There are lots of very nice independent gastro pubs near me, which always seem really busy.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Garlic and tomato and herb base
Mozzarella and herb stuffed crust (brushed with sesame oil)
Pepperoni and red onion topping.

Maybe about £1 in total.

Eating out is falling out of fashion. Home cooking has been in resurgence and dinner parties are in vogue. In the same way that pre loading is destroying pubs and clubs. Home baking and eating in isn't helping the restaurant industry. Pop ups do well because they are also on trend and they are contributing to more and more people moving away from the more traditional dining out experience.

Eating out also demands time and effort. Something the modern generation is lacking.