• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

TheEdge

Established Member
Is Volvo cars linked to the other more industrial (Lorries, plant etc) things with Volvo on the side?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
In terms of car companies:

Volvo. Are they in danger of going the same way as Saab? Too expensive to be a volume brand, compete in the premium sector but an eccentric choice and the wrong (non German) name on the bonnet for the badge snobs;

Vauxhall (GM/Opel really). Not well regarded, bland undesirable cars, market share still high but falling and job cuts recently. Accesible PCP finance deals these days mean the equivalent of 1990s Cavalier/Vectra man probably now drives a 3 series/C class.

Disagree with you on Volvo, they make excellent cars (& the best seats ever!) which rival the quality of Mercedes, BMW etc. I see a hell of a lot of them around Berkshire.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Disagree with you on Volvo, they make excellent cars (& the best seats ever!) which rival the quality of Mercedes, BMW etc. I see a hell of a lot of them around Berkshire.

I called that completely the wrong way. As someone else pointed out they are apparently achieving record sales!

It was based on the fact they seem to be a niche maker like Saab were who fell between the stools of too expensive for volume, wrong badge for premium. But clearly not!

I’m glad they’re doing well.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Is Volvo cars linked to the other more industrial (Lorries, plant etc) things with Volvo on the side?

Not any more. AB Volvo sold Volvo Car Corporation to Ford Motor Company in 1999, who subsequently sold it to Geely in 2010.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I haven't been to a large high street Boots in years, but their shops at Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham New Street are always busy when I'm there. Similar pattern to what people are saying about other shops. I am a big fan of their range of food though, I definitely prefer it to what you get at Sainsburys or Tesco, and it's cheaper than M&S.

I never buy anything from WH Smith - ever. But I notice that all of their 'travel' shops in railway stations, service stations and airports are always busy. They recently moved to a new Manchester City Centre location.

As far as the clothes shops go, crucially I would quite like to buy clothes from somewhere other than Primark, mainly because they might last longer and be slightly nicer, but I don't because I can't really afford it. So many people I know think similarly, and I can sort of repeat that in other markets e.g. I buy lots of food from Aldi based on price, even though I'd prefer to trade up to buying a nicer version of it for slightly more from Morrisons or Sainsburys.

Last edited:

whhistle

On Moderation
maybe someone who voted for it can explain what the situation will be?
Was that a serious suggestion? That people who voted to leave are somehow in the know?

Or yet another dig at those who voted to leave... because, ya know, if you still don't like it, you can move to a European country if you wanted.

I wasn't bothered either way (about the result), but this turning things into "it's because we're leaving Europe" is the most tiring thing I read.

Tax avoidance is legal. However, if you mean tax evasion, then I am in full agreement.
Avoidance: the action of keeping away from or not doing something
Evasion: the action of evading something.
Evade: escape or avoid (someone or something), especially by guile or trickery
I'd suggest those "avoiding" tax are doing so by trickery... IE, with intent.

I buy lots of food from Aldi based on price, even though I'd prefer to trade up to buying a nicer version of it for slightly more from Morrisons or Sainsburys.
That's an interesting comparison.
The only two things I note about Aldi are:
1) Their blackcurrant hi-juice tastes like ribena. Morrisons and Asda versions don't.
2) You're limiting yourself on choice.
Number 2 is the severe downfall.
I tried shopping at Aldi for a couple of months but found they didn't have as much choice in the much larger supermarkets. I also hate their checkout system - they open and close checkouts like a fiddlers elbow and I've seen elderly people struggle at the speed the assistant checks them out.
I think the revival for those stores has happened.

Last edited:

njamescouk

I tried shopping at Aldi for a couple of months but found they didn't have as much choice in the much larger supermarkets. I also hate their checkout system - they open and close checkouts like a fiddlers elbow and I've seen elderly people struggle at the speed the assistant checks them out.
I think the revival for those stores has happened

different strokes for different folks. I like not having millions of the same item to look at. you want custard creams? there they are! likewise the tills, not sure why they open and close them all the time but they're super quick because there's no faffing area at the till, get your stuff in the basket / bag / whatever and go to the faffing area if need be.

whhistle

On Moderation
different strokes for different folks. I like not having millions of the same item to look at.
Indeed!
Except it's not millions.
It's up to 3... and not of every item... and usually not even the 3.

But then these days I shop online and pick up. Easier, no faffing.

With the advent of click and collect, I can see some supermarkets closing their larger stores. I'm sure Tesco said their express and metro stores do well because people like being able to pick up a few items every now and again instead of doing larger shops.

With the likes of Asda bringing in self-scan checkouts and self-scan guns, I'd be a little concerned if I was a checkout operator.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Aldi/Lidl - I love them both. As others have said - Flour is Flour, Sugar is Sugar and the savings can be huge. There are some items that have failed the taste test, though not many. (Weetabix-a-like springs to mind). There are many items that are better or can't be found in traditional supermarkets. I can be in, shopped and out in 20 minutes with a good load.

I make the occasional trip to the bigger stores or use Ocado or Morrisons for deliveries if I need "choice" or bulk items on special offer.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Burger King - with a few honourable exceptions , (such as Paddington) but recent visits to Chester / Croyden etc show BK in poor light in terms of slightly out of date furniture and fittings etc , but more worryingly deserted.

Now the big Yellow M seems to have invested heavily in updating , and generally are extremely busy.

I only ever buy a 99p cheeseburger as a snack lunch in any case.

Lucan

Established Member
I don't think anyone yet has mentioned that Countrywide have gone bust. For Townies' info, they have a chain of stores mostly in or near country towns that sell stuff like smaller agricultural machinery and chemicals, heavy duty gate hinges, nuts and bolts, rope, animal feed, fencing, country clothing and horse stuff. They are not "HighStreet", more "Small Industrial Estate". They are in administration according to notices on the doors. I don't know what the alternatives will be; Screwfix for the bolts but I'm mostly up the creek otherwise.

What are doing well is out-of-town garden centres. They are like OAP's social clubs/cafes which also sell almost everything (clothes, books, shoes, food, furniture and even a bit of garden stuff) at fancy prices that only OAPs can afford. The one nearest me is becoming a mini-town with the attraction of having parking and no beggars or muggers.

Clip

Established Member
Im surprised if CEX stays in business much longer - was browsing in a window the other day and their prices for second hand stuff was extortionate - £275 for a pre owned Nintendo switch which RRP is £279 and can be found new online for around £250 so who is going to buy it? Their phones all seemed over priced too.

Unsure about any of the clothing shops that have been mentioned as i dont go in them apart from maybe next for workshirts but Primark seems to be a bloody jungle when i reluctantly go in with me lass - Just how many people can you fit in a shpo on a thursday evening is beyond me.

I see Argos mentioned but theyre great as you can see if its in stock before you go or even order it for next day collection which is perfect for people really

ComUtoR

Established Member
Looks like 'Select' and 'House of Frasiser' are next in line. House of Frasier are pretty big and will most likely survive but I suspect it will downsize a little or take a 'new approach'

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Looks like 'Select' and 'House of Frasiser' are next in line. House of Frasier are pretty big and will most likely survive but I suspect it will downsize a little or take a 'new approach'
HoF are midway through a substantial restructuring.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
With the likes of Asda bringing in self-scan checkouts and self-scan guns, I'd be a little concerned if I was a checkout operator.

The Tescos I use more than any other has about 45 tills, 40 of which are self service.

ComUtoR

Established Member
House of Frasier are having financial difficulties if the reporting is to be believed. I've been reading about them a lot recently. I used to work in Retail and was around when Arcadia was split from Debenhams. I can understand why and how they would be in trouble.

whhistle

On Moderation
I don't think anyone yet has mentioned that Countrywide have gone bust.
Hmm. This isn't great. I grab my chicken feed in huge bags from here.

What are doing well is out-of-town garden centres. They are like OAP's social clubs/cafes which also sell almost everything (clothes, books, shoes, food, furniture and even a bit of garden stuff)
The one near me has a large farm shop, clothes, shoes and a little Works inside. I've noticed quite a few Works book stores inside garden centres recently.
The whole area is supplemented with other shops though; there's about 5 in total, so they all help each other.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The one near me has a large farm shop, clothes, shoes and a little Works inside. I've noticed quite a few Works book stores inside garden centres recently.
The whole area is supplemented with other shops though; there's about 5 in total, so they all help each other.

The Works have had concessions inside garden centres for a long time: I know Cardiff, Hereford and Gloucester have had theirs for a decade or two. A glance at their website's store list suggests they may have been expanding that side of their business elsewhere recently.

SteveP29

House of Frasier are having financial difficulties if the reporting is to be believed. I've been reading about them a lot recently. I used to work in Retail and was around when Arcadia was split from Debenhams. I can understand why and how they would be in trouble.

Kelsey Grammer must be devastated, all the time and effort he put into it

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
As far as the clothes shops go, crucially I would quite like to buy clothes from somewhere other than Primark, mainly because they might last longer and be slightly nicer, but I don't because I can't really afford it. So many people I know think similarly, and I can sort of repeat that in other markets e.g. I buy lots of food from Aldi based on price, even though I'd prefer to trade up to buying a nicer version of it for slightly more from Morrisons or Sainsburys.

Clothes is an intriguing one. Over the last decade or so, the durability of clothes - especially fashion items - seems to have dropped through the floor. I'm guessing that's due to intense price competition. But for me the result has been that I now buy clothes much less often than I used to because durability is important to me: If I see something I want to wear, then I want to be able to carry on wearing it for at least a few years. But I've been burned too many times by stuff that looks really nice on the shelves but wears out after a couple of months - and because of that I now only normally buy clothes when I have to. If there was a premium fashion brand on the High Street that sold stuff you could guarantee would last (and which, by established reputation, you could be fairly sure of that upfront), that brand would get my custom instantly, even if prices were higher than other stores. But none of the chains seem to be attempting to go that route, it's always primarily about price. I wonder if there is a gap in the market that is not being filled there, all the while that clothing chains are going under.

r37

I don't think anyone yet has mentioned that Countrywide have gone bust.

It's annoying as I used to have a large one relatively near me. Now we have to drive a long way to get chicken food and they don't sell it in the size of bag they had in Countrywide. :(

telstarbox

Established Member
Clothes is an intriguing one. Over the last decade or so, the durability of clothes - especially fashion items - seems to have dropped through the floor. I'm guessing that's due to intense price competition. But for me the result has been that I now buy clothes much less often than I used to because durability is important to me: If I see something I want to wear, then I want to be able to carry on wearing it for at least a few years. But I've been burned too many times by stuff that looks really nice on the shelves but wears out after a couple of months - and because of that I now only normally buy clothes when I have to. If there was a premium fashion brand on the High Street that sold stuff you could guarantee would last (and which, by established reputation, you could be fairly sure of that upfront), that brand would get my custom instantly, even if prices were higher than other stores. But none of the chains seem to be attempting to go that route, it's always primarily about price. I wonder if there is a gap in the market that is not being filled there, all the while that clothing chains are going under.

I would nominate Zara for good quality. Expensive but very good value in the sales.

Clip

Established Member
The Tescos I use more than any other has about 45 tills, 40 of which are self service.

I believe that till operators are moved to other duties like personal shopping rather than losing their jobs

Bromley boy

Established Member
I would nominate Zara for good quality. Expensive but very good value in the sales.

I must admit I’d have put Zara the other way around!

In my experience it’s relatively cheap and cheerful, quality not the best, but does well designed mens’ fashion stuff.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Has anyone noticed the rapid downsizing of Millies cookies? They are one I wouldn't be surprised to see disappear soon.

Puffing Devil

Established Member

I have just parted with an M&S Grey T-Shirt that I think was around 20 years old, the quality was fantastic and I have never found much like it since. There has to be a GAP in the market, pun intented, as their stuff has gone downhill as well.

underbank

Established Member
I have just parted with an M&S Grey T-Shirt that I think was around 20 years old, the quality was fantastic and I have never found much like it since. There has to be a GAP in the market, pun intented, as their stuff has gone downhill as well.

Most of my wardrobe is M&S from over 20 years ago - I cringe when I look at holiday or work photos of that era and recognise clothes I still wear today! Their older stuff was pretty much indestructible. Nearly all my work shirts, trousers, suits, and casual rugby & t shirts will be of that vintage. I've bought new M&S stuff since, but it's either had to be returned due to sizing or thrown away due to damage from poor quality. The older stuff is certainly outliving more recent. The thing is, I'd love to buy new replacements and chuck it all out as I'm pretty bored with it now, but M&S is pretty awful these days, sizing isn't consistent, quality is rubbish. Sooner or later I'll have to succumb and try out other shops to replace it all.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I believe that till operators are moved to other duties like personal shopping rather than losing their jobs

There’s quite high staff turnover. Besides that particular Tescos didn’t have that many manual tills in the first place.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Bargain Booze (Conviviality plc) is the latest to go under. Won't be missed - horrible name for a dubious company selling cheap beer to people who can't afford it.