• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Bargain Booze (Conviviality plc) is the latest to go under. Won't be missed - horrible name for a dubious company selling cheap beer to people who can't afford it.

They’re in trouble, but not gone under yet. Suspect they will though.

Interestingly, they are more of a supplier / distributor than a retailer. Most Bargain Booze outlets are actually franchises. More interestingly, one of their biggest customers is Wetherspoons, who I suspect have been driving some hard bargains. Too hard it seems.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveP29

Clothes is an intriguing one. Over the last decade or so, the durability of clothes - especially fashion items - seems to have dropped through the floor. I'm guessing that's due to intense price competition. But for me the result has been that I now buy clothes much less often than I used to because durability is important to me: If I see something I want to wear, then I want to be able to carry on wearing it for at least a few years. But I've been burned too many times by stuff that looks really nice on the shelves but wears out after a couple of months - and because of that I now only normally buy clothes when I have to. If there was a premium fashion brand on the High Street that sold stuff you could guarantee would last (and which, by established reputation, you could be fairly sure of that upfront), that brand would get my custom instantly, even if prices were higher than other stores. But none of the chains seem to be attempting to go that route, it's always primarily about price. I wonder if there is a gap in the market that is not being filled there, all the while that clothing chains are going under.

DM's or Nike trainers, jeans and a band t-shirt (bought at a gig or from their webstore) has seen me never out of (and indeed never in) fashion in the last 30 years!

Darandio

Established Member
North East chain Grainger Games have now gone as well, 67 stores and over 400 staff gone.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/business/business-news/game-over-grainger-games-closes-14472108

JS147590540.jpg

Grainger Games is understood to have closed its remaining 46 shops, making around 400 people redundant.

The North East video game retailer closed 21 of its high street shops yesterday, after sending an email to certain staff telling them not to open.

But the company - which started life selling video games within Newcastle’s Grainger Market - is understood to have closed its remaining 46 shops and made hundreds of workers redundant.

ChronicleLive has attempted to contact the retailer’s senior management team but no response has been received.

The firm’s Newcastle city centre branch, which stands metres from its original stall, is among those that have closed.

A sign placed in the shop’s window said: “Sorry to say we are now closed. Thanks for 21 years of custom. Game OVER.”

Iskra

Established Member
If a fashion brand were to go bust, my money would be on Superdry. Their shops are always empty, they have to discount heavily, their share price has crashed and the brand seems to be increasingly uncool.

Clip

Established Member
Also pickers for home deliveries - our local Tesco is full of their staff with trolleys etc.
Thats who i meant with personal shoppers. They may be getting their own areas for certain fast moving stuff within the superstores too so that will keep some out the way of people

johntea

Established Member
Grainger Games is one of those places that never really felt like it had anything unique to offer, it always seemed like a blend of GAME and CeX to me.

Video games isn't a good business to go into these days, you now have digital downloads (people will pay the extra just for the convenience), and even physical games will come out at £50 and less than a couple of months later will be in the £20 or less region, unless they're super popular titles such as Call Of Duty where the majority will have already pre-ordered from the likes of Amazon.

BestWestern

Established Member
Im surprised if CEX stays in business much longer - was browsing in a window the other day and their prices for second hand stuff was extortionate - £275 for a pre owned Nintendo switch which RRP is £279 and can be found new online for around £250 so who is going to buy it? Their phones all seemed over priced too.

I see Argos mentioned but theyre great as you can see if its in stock before you go or even order it for next day collection which is perfect for people really

My recent experiences with what I presume is the 'new' Argos have been dire! One store in London appears to hold nothing in stock, so whilst the computer will gladly "reserve" it for you, you then have to hop on a Tube to the next one several miles away to collect it! What is the bl**dy point in that? The store you collect it from has an awful layout, the staff have sort of individual 'pods' in front of the warehouse racking, and once you've handed them your receipt they disappear off for about 10 minutes whilst you hover awkwardly in no particular area until they re-emerge. You also have to enter a 'memorable word' into the computer and then repeat it at the till so they can retrieve the order, which is daft and slightly cringeworthy. Disorganised, chronically slow and a total turn-off.

CEX seem to exist for the benefit of a rather 'niche' sector of society, most of which seem to usually be stood outside smoking 'herbal' cigarettes!

BestWestern

Established Member
Most of my wardrobe is M&S from over 20 years ago - I cringe when I look at holiday or work photos of that era and recognise clothes I still wear today! Their older stuff was pretty much indestructible. Nearly all my work shirts, trousers, suits, and casual rugby & t shirts will be of that vintage. I've bought new M&S stuff since, but it's either had to be returned due to sizing or thrown away due to damage from poor quality. The older stuff is certainly outliving more recent. The thing is, I'd love to buy new replacements and chuck it all out as I'm pretty bored with it now, but M&S is pretty awful these days, sizing isn't consistent, quality is rubbish. Sooner or later I'll have to succumb and try out other shops to replace it all.

I've thought for a long time that M&S need to try the department store approach to clothing, developing a brand for their own 'OAP' stuff but having the rest of the floor given over to recognised existing labels for the younger buyers. M&S is about as trendy as a stomach ulcer, and their continuing efforts to flog clothes to 30-somethings are painful. I strongly suspect though that the entire clothing business will vanish fairly soon. The recent round of store closures has included replacement with food-only operations in some cases I believe.

Clip

Established Member
My recent experiences with what I presume is the 'new' Argos have been dire! One store in London appears to hold nothing in stock, so whilst the computer will gladly "reserve" it for you, you then have to hop on a Tube to the next one several miles away to collect it! What is the bl**dy point in that? The store you collect it from has an awful layout, the staff have sort of individual 'pods' in front of the warehouse racking, and once you've handed them your receipt they disappear off for about 10 minutes whilst you hover awkwardly in no particular area until they re-emerge. You also have to enter a 'memorable word' into the computer and then repeat it at the till so they can retrieve the order, which is daft and slightly cringeworthy. Disorganised, chronically slow and a total turn-off.

CEX seem to exist for the benefit of a rather 'niche' sector of society, most of which seem to usually be stood outside smoking 'herbal' cigarettes!

'One store in London' doesnt really make a statement about the group as a whole - they must be doing something right to still be in business after all. I never go in there on a whim and always check online first.

Ha ha ill have to agree about CEX

An_Engineer

On WH Smiths, their customer facing stores just seem to be in 2 minds as others have said. Their travel stores in stations airports are doing well, and I use them fairly often (buy a newspaper/magazine for journey, and maybe a bottle of water and a snack). But the high-street stores however are dire and I only go into the local one for the post office it has in the back, which is the only area they seem to attract customers.

Boots is safe in my opinion. While they might not seem it, they actually specialize very well in several areas (which is v tricky to pull off). For most places I've been to, boots is the main pharmacy on the high street, with a wide range of off the shelf or over the counter products (as well as prescription services). Then on the other side, they are also one of the biggest high street cosmetic sellers. Not the high end stuff, but still a good selection from cheap make-up to fairly pricey premium brands. There is only one company really challenging them on the high street and that is:

Superdrug (who get my vote for next to fail). Superdrug seem to try and do the same as boots, with a mixture of pharmaceuticals and cosmetics, but they just seem to do it in a cheaper tattier way (and only a few of their stores have actual pharmacies). I only go there as a last resort if for some reason whatever I want isn't in boots.

takno

Established Member
On WH Smiths, their customer facing stores just seem to be in 2 minds as others have said. Their travel stores in stations airports are doing well, and I use them fairly often (buy a newspaper/magazine for journey, and maybe a bottle of water and a snack). But the high-street stores however are dire and I only go into the local one for the post office it has in the back, which is the only area they seem to attract customers.

Boots is safe in my opinion. While they might not seem it, they actually specialize very well in several areas (which is v tricky to pull off). For most places I've been to, boots is the main pharmacy on the high street, with a wide range of off the shelf or over the counter products (as well as prescription services). Then on the other side, they are also one of the biggest high street cosmetic sellers. Not the high end stuff, but still a good selection from cheap make-up to fairly pricey premium brands. There is only one company really challenging them on the high street and that is:

Superdrug (who get my vote for next to fail). Superdrug seem to try and do the same as boots, with a mixture of pharmaceuticals and cosmetics, but they just seem to do it in a cheaper tattier way (and only a few of their stores have actual pharmacies). I only go there as a last resort if for some reason whatever I want isn't in boots.
Worth bearing in mind that Boots is owned by Walgreens, and as such isn't likely to be forced under by loss of supplier credit or removal of support from lenders. Boots will probably be able to keep with the marking by restructuring even further away from generalist town-centre stores and more into airport/train station/convenience stores, perhaps reducing pharmacy operations, and more of the opticians/hearing aid operations moving into separate stores. Think of the way the co-operative movement dumped their department store operations and kept the travel agency/banking/food store operations in separate operations which were subsequently easier to spin out.

BestWestern

Established Member
'One store in London' doesnt really make a statement about the group as a whole - they must be doing something right to still be in business after all. I never go in there on a whim and always check online first.

Ha ha ill have to agree about CEX

No I should have been clearer, my impression is very much that this is a new operating model.

Clip

Established Member
Oh right - was in one in chorley a few weeks back and looked smarter than i seem to remember them being.

BestWestern

Established Member
Oh right - was in one in chorley a few weeks back and looked smarter than i seem to remember them being.

The 'satellite' store I'm thinking of is Edgeware Rd, with the larger store being Tottenham Court. I've been in Edgeware a number of times, and almost everything appears to be available on a 'you can have it but it isn't here' basis. Just seems a naff sell to me, lure you into the shop and then send you trekking somewhere else for your goods!

Dai Corner

Established Member
The 'satellite' store I'm thinking of is Edgeware Rd, with the larger store being Tottenham Court. I've been in Edgeware a number of times, and almost everything appears to be available on a 'you can have it but it isn't here' basis. Just seems a naff sell to me, lure you into the shop and then send you trekking somewhere else for your goods!

Isn't the idea that you check stock online and reserve what you want at the nearest / most convenient shop that has it?

BestWestern

Established Member
Isn't the idea that you check stock online and reserve what you want at the nearest / most convenient shop that has it?

Perhaps, but that isn't particularly 'convenient' in itself! What I found bizarre was the concept of Argos, a retailer known for operating large stores which sell pretty much everything, operating a sort of 'metro' store which seemingly holds very little in stock. Essentially they're trading off their brand but without offering the product, telling you that you can have whatever it is you're after but you've got to go and fetch it. That doesn't work for me. If I go to B&Q for a tin of paint, I don't expect to be told that I can have it but I need to travel miles to another site to collect it. Many people may well check online and be willing to go to whatever store stocks what they're after, but equally Argos are a 'go to' brand and many will go in expecting them to have the stuff there and then. Perhaps they need an 'Argos Metro' brand to save wasted journeys!

Dentonian

Established Member
Perhaps, but that isn't particularly 'convenient' in itself! What I found bizarre was the concept of Argos, a retailer known for operating large stores which sell pretty much everything, operating a sort of 'metro' store which seemingly holds very little in stock. Essentially they're trading off their brand but without offering the product, telling you that you can have whatever it is you're after but you've got to go and fetch it. That doesn't work for me. If I go to B&Q for a tin of paint, I don't expect to be told that I can have it but I need to travel miles to another site to collect it. Many people may well check online and be willing to go to whatever store stocks what they're after, but equally Argos are a 'go to' brand and many will go in expecting them to have the stuff there and then. Perhaps they need an 'Argos Metro' brand to save wasted journeys!

This seems to be the way Argos are going. I'm told they are part of the Sainsbury's group and having opened a small store in the "Denton" branch of Sainsburys - opposite the Rail Station, so not really in Denton - a few months ago, they are now doing the same in Ashton (under Lyne)

Dai Corner

Established Member
This seems to be the way Argos are going. I'm told they are part of the Sainsbury's group and having opened a small store in the "Denton" branch of Sainsburys - opposite the Rail Station, so not really in Denton - a few months ago, they are now doing the same in Ashton (under Lyne)

Yes, they closed their city centre shop in Newport and moved into Sainsbury's (though they have a retail park branch here too).

Dai Corner

Established Member

I shop differently to you then. I don't think there's anything in Argos I would regard as an impulse buy so it makes sense to me to check before I set out. Having done that, I'll reserve at whatever chain and branch offers the best deal (and has it in stock if I need the item quickly).

Kite159

Veteran Member
One thing I noticed with CEX, is when you order stuff online, it used to be £1.50 postage charge per order. Now it appears to be £1.50 postage per item, and certainly some of the prices for 2nd hand DVDs/Blu-Rays they are not that cheap anymore, especially if adding the postage charge (whereas if you buy the new product from say Amazon you could benefit from free postage)

As for the Argos, Andover used to have two branches, a larger one in the town centre shopping centre and a smaller one in the Homebase. Since they were purchased by Sainsburys both have closed and replaced by a smaller one in the larger of the two Sainsburys in the town area (nearby the Homebase on another retail park area). I even noticed the little "collection only" 'Argos Express' kiosk at Cannon Street appears to have closed, I would imagine that would have been useful for any city workers being able to pick up something after work on the way home. I will make a prediction that the Argos 'book of dreams' will cease to be published soon, with anything remaining in stores on those little tablets.

BestWestern

Established Member

I just don't see that point in that, really. What purpose does the small branch serve?

BestWestern

Established Member
I shop differently to you then. I don't think there's anything in Argos I would regard as an impulse buy so it makes sense to me to check before I set out. Having done that, I'll reserve at whatever chain and branch offers the best deal (and has it in stock if I need the item quickly).

Not so much impulse, but when you know you've got to get something and there's an Argos accessible, perhaps near work, for example. In you trot, it's there on the computer, but oh they don't actually keep it in the shop! Hmm.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If a fashion brand were to go bust, my money would be on Superdry. Their shops are always empty, they have to discount heavily, their share price has crashed and the brand seems to be increasingly uncool.

Ahhh - I remember when they were Cult Clothing. Used to buy a lot off them in their shop on Stephenson St in Birmingham.

They’ll be alright, may need to downsize and refocus.

Bromley boy

Established Member

Amazing how different perceptions can be - reference my earlier comments about Volvo which were off the mark.

Along similar lines, I’d disagree with your analysis above. Supergroup’s revenue and profits went through the roof last year.

Good quality, well cut stuff (albeit always comes up very small for my frame - I’m a size bigger in Superdry stuff than other clothes).

Superdry make clothes people actually want to buy, unlike M&S.

Then again I’m 6”3 with a 34 inch waste. I mean this as politely as possible, their clothes come up tight on me, I’m probably far from the typical measurements on here...

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Then again I’m 6”3 with a 34 inch waste. I mean this as politely as possible, their clothes come up tight on me, I’m probably far from the typical measurements on here...

Well I’m exactly the same dimensions, so they are typical measurements for this thread ;)

krus_aragon

Established Member

Rather than uncool, I found they were mis-understood when they opened a store in Cardiff some years ago. Having never heard of them, I assumed they'd be selling waterproof raincoats and the like! No such luck, I'm afraid.

I'm in a similar position, but with a waist measurement six inches smaller. In the last decade I've only managed to buy one pair of trousers 'off-the-peg' from a physical store. :(

radamfi

Established Member
I just don't see that point in that, really. What purpose does the small branch serve?

Even before the internet, this type of branch existed in small towns which couldn't sustain a full Argos branch. You would phone up or fill in the forum in store to reserve the item and collect it the following day. They were branded "call and collect".

The Dutch version of Argos called "Kijkshop" (pronounced "cakeshop") closed recently.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Well I’m exactly the same dimensions, so they are typical measurements for this thread ;)

Good to know there are a few of us out there. You would also need “large” from Superdry whereas in most other brands “medium” would be just right. :D

I'm in a similar position, but with a waist measurement six inches smaller. In the last decade I've only managed to buy one pair of trousers 'off-the-peg' from a physical store. :(

That is a very unusual physique indeed.