• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'm guessing methanol was probably already banned and its menthol which goes in May, ironically IIRC due to an EU directive now that we are no longer an EU member!

Maybe they'll allow it again after the end of the transition period? :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I'm guessing methanol was probably already banned and its menthol which goes in May, ironically IIRC due to an EU directive now that we are no longer an EU member!

PG

Dam corrective spell check - it should have read menthol!?1?1?1

Regards

C J

R G NOW.

I suspect the children's section is more affected by the trend toward streaming: a lot of youngsters these days watch little live TV these days, much of it is streamed from youtibe, iplayer, etc. Given that, what market is there for selling them DVDs?
Don't they sit with their parents in the lounge watching tv anymore then. Like I did when I was young and at home. It was play your cards right, the price is right and some of the soaps.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Don't they sit with their parents in the lounge watching tv anymore then. Like I did when I was young and at home. It was play your cards right, the price is right and some of the soaps.

The concept of negotiating with parents and making an appointment with the TV to watch your favourite shows is completely alien to today's children.

R G NOW.

The concept of negotiating with parents and making an appointment with the TV to watch your favourite shows is completely alien to today's children.
Why is this?. If I did not sit in the lounge and watch tv that was on I would of been bored, I did not have any technology in my bedroom, other than a tape player that was also shared with my sister. It seems that kids are now spoilt. I was only able to buy a tv for my room when I left school and got dole money.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Why is this?. If I did not sit in the lounge and watch tv that was on I would of been bored, I did not have any technology in my bedroom, other than a tape player that was also shared with my sister. It seems that kids are now spoilt.

I had a radio and books in my room as a child in 1960s, but it was blooming freezing in the winter so I watched whatever was on TV downstairs in the evenings. Did have control of the TV until the 6 o'clock News came on though.:D

krus_aragon

Established Member
Why is this?. If I did not sit in the lounge and watch tv that was on I would of been bored, I did not have any technology in my bedroom, other than a tape player that was also shared with my sister. It seems that kids are now spoilt. I was only able to buy a tv for my room when I left school and got dole money.
As a parent to young sproglets, I've realised over the past few years that the existence of 24-hour kids TV has changed things significantly: back in the days of only four channels, I recall exploring general daytime TV when there was no kids programming being broadcast. The addition of on-demand streaming has changed things even more: my kids are aware of the ability to select kids programming at any time, and rather than arguing over who gets to choose a channel to watch, they'll go straight to arguing over who gets to choose a program to stream. I've been reflecting on how this means they're selecting familiar things, and not trying anything new, as happens naturally with broadcast television.

My wife and I aren't avid watchers of television: we'll typically stream a program or two in the evening, at a time of our choosing (if we do so at all). My wife and I have no more interest in soaps than we did as youngsters, and we're a bit picky about gameshows too! Some programs aren't that suitable for younger ears (QI), but for whatever reason we haven't really bothered watching many non-kids programs with the kids around.

Since the above dawned on me, I've been working to modify their expectations. If the television is turned on during a weekday morning*, then only life-broadcast TV is available, and the first kid to finish breakfast gets to choose which channel (CBeebies or S4C's Cyw). The one type of non-kids programming the kids know to expect is rugby, and they're fairly comfortable with it. The fact that S4C's kids programming finishes at 9am, and flows straight into a time-shifted broadcast of a PRO-14 match, has helped a lot.

*it's only available after everyone's finished their breakfast, and eldest is dressed for school.

Tangentially, some are saying that channels such as CBeebies (or even the BBC itself) may disappear if the license fee is replaced with a subscription:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ebies-faces-AXE-BBC-licence-fee-scrapped.html
It's the children's TV staple, having launched 18 years ago this month.

But the CBeebies channel could face the axe if the BBC is put behind a paywall, the chairman of the broadcaster Sir David Clementi claims

The news has left parents in uproar, with one slamming the move claiming: 'It's the only way I get anything done!'

David warned that replacing the regular licence fee with a Netflix-style subscription could result in cuts to the output of children's channels including Cbeebies and CBBC.

In a speech in Salford this week, David said: 'A subscription service would be unlikely to have much regional presence. It would be very unlikely to continue the level of properly curated programmes for children, or indeed the brilliant Bitesize education services that have helped so many teenagers.'

He continued: 'It would not have the same commitment to investing in home-grown ideas and talent, to the benefit of our whole creative sector.'

Furthermore, David cautioned that the proposed changes could mean that the BBC would no longer cover big national events such as 'royal weddings or jubilees, or Olympic successes.'

Dai Corner

Established Member
Apparently, half of the grauniad's in circulation go to the bbc, so that may also disappear along with the bbc.

The circulation of the Guardian is about 130,000 and about 35,000 work for the BBC so goodness knows where the 30,000 spare copies go!

d9009alycidon

My parents favourite show was "The Black and White Minstrals", compulsory viewing on a Sunday evening, why did I not grow up a racist? (throw in a bit of "Love Thy Neighbours" and "Till Death us to Part")

talltim

Established Member
Irony noted!

DavidGrain

Established Member
My parents favourite show was "The Black and White Minstrals", compulsory viewing on a Sunday evening, why did I not grow up a racist? (throw in a bit of "Love Thy Neighbours" and "Till Death us to Part")

Mind you Language, I think, was finally taken off air for being stereotypically racist.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Mind you Language, I think, was finally taken off air for being stereotypically racist.

I'm not sure whether it was that or just that audiences declined or the writers didn't want to do it any more but like It Ain't Half Hot Mum (considered racist and homophobic) its never repeated.

Til Death Us Do Part was satire but many shared Alf's opinions and took it seriously.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure whether it was that or just that audiences declined or the writers didn't want to do it any more but like It Ain't Half Hot Mum (considered racist and homophobic) its never repeated.

Til Death Us Do Part was satire but many shared Alf's opinions and took it seriously.

I always thought that Warner Bros. handled this well when it came to the issues with things like Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry where their use of language or depiction of certain characters would now be wholly unacceptable by including the following warning at the beginning of recent DVD releases:

The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed.

Which seems like an appropriate way of dealing with such things rather than just ignoring them entirely.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Which seems like an appropriate way of dealing with such things rather than just ignoring them entirely.

Agree.

Meanwhile, and on topic...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-51393160

A company which supplies carpets to the Royal Family says it intends to appoint administrators to try to protect the business.

Devon-based Axminster Carpets said it was focused on "securing a sustainable future" for those who believe in "quality craftsmanship".

Carpet making in the town dates back to 1755, with the current iteration of the company being established in 1937.

As many as 90 jobs could be at risk if the company goes into administration.

Meerkat

Established Member
I always thought that Warner Bros. handled this well when it came to the issues with things like Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry where their use of language or depiction of certain characters would now be wholly unacceptable by including the following warning at the beginning of recent DVD releases:

I am not sure it is directly comparable, as the racism etc in T&J is generally incidental or caricature/stereotyping rather than the blatantly racist jokes in Til Death do us Part that are the focus of the piece (I never was comfortable that it was satire AND aimed at those understanding the satire, rather than being happy to lap up the audience that took it more literally)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am not sure it is directly comparable, as the racism etc in T&J is generally incidental or caricature/stereotyping rather than the blatantly racist jokes in Til Death do us Part that are the focus of the piece (I never was comfortable that it was satire AND aimed at those understanding the satire, rather than being happy to lap up the audience that took it more literally)

Ahh I see. I'm not familiar with the works in question so am not really in a position to make an informed comment on whether or not they're comparable to what went on in Tom & Jerry, et al!

mmh

Established Member

It Ain't Half Hot Mum is very of its time, but it's aged far better in my opinion than the other shows mentioned in the thread. I liked it a lot and still do. I like to think it wasn't intentionally racist, but being white it's not really for me to judge. I've never considered it homophobic though (I'm gay) - it just uses stereotypes. There's humour in stereotypes, and stereotypes usually exist for a reason...

I watched some repeats of Allo Allo yesterday, another show I loved at the time, thankfully it mustn't be considered xenophobic enough to take off air!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The 'Financial Times' is saying that FlyBe could collapse by as soon as 9 p.m. tonight, Coronavirus being the straw that broke the camel's back.

https://www.ft.com/content/6c37bb36-5df8-11ea-b0ab-339c2307bcd4
Flybe is just hours away from collapse after months of talks with the UK government failed to secure a crucial £100m loan and the coronavirus slashed passenger demand for the already-struggling regional airline. The UK carrier is expected to enter administration in the early hours of Thursday morning, putting more than 2,000 jobs at risk. Its last flights were set to land at about 11pm on Wednesday, with an announcement due shortly after. “The impact of coronavirus has made a bad situation worse,” said one person close to the airline. “It has been in a pretty precarious position for a while — it doesn’t take much to push it over the edge.”

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
The 'Financial Times' is saying that FlyBe could collapse by as soon as 9 p.m. tonight, Coronavirus being the straw that broke the camel's back.

One of those firms that perhaps is overdue being put out of its misery!