• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies That You Expect to Disappear Soon

cactustwirly

Established Member
For the price of one West Cornwall pasty you can get a bag full of pasties and sausage rolls from Greggs. I've only ever used them when I could claim back on expenses.

But WCPC actually taste nice, Gregg's is basically tasteless salty mush.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I've lived in West Cornwall for thirty odd years, and as far as I'm concerned I'd have to be very hungry before I ever consumed the products of this company. It's not to say that every pasty down here is succulent, because there are plenty of mediocre ones around, including the products of a countywide bakery who've succeeded in keeping Greggs out of Kernow so far: I won't name them in order to protect the guilty. :)

Warrens? They exist in the North too nowadays.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A Cornish pasty can only be made west of the Tamar if it is to be called that, likewise Yorkshire puddings have to be made on the east side of the Pennines, and smoked haddock from around the Arbroath area can only be called an Arbroath Smokie if it has been made within a certain radius of Arbroath.

Anywhere else outwith those areas mentioned that claim to be (region name) those products are false imposters.

TheEdge

Established Member
Yeah, at least twice I think but it never happened.

At the risk of going off topic getting Yorkshire Puddings protected must be quite difficult. Its a fairly basic recipe and there are plenty of unrelated recipes that are fairly similar. I discovered German Pancakes yesterday that look to be identical bar a topping of sugar and or cinnamon

Darandio

Established Member
At the risk of going off topic getting Yorkshire Puddings protected must be quite difficult. Its a fairly basic recipe and there are plenty of unrelated recipes that are fairly similar. I discovered German Pancakes yesterday that look to be identical bar a topping of sugar and or cinnamon

Indeed. There is also comething pretty much identical over the pond called a Dutch Baby.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Warrens? They exist in the North too nowadays.
Got it in one. When the comedian Mark Steel was doing a radio series based on a different town each week he broadcast that the Warrens pasty he'd purchased in Penzance was the worst thing he'd ever put in his mouth: the comment made the edit! I'm happy to say it's been c 30 years since the only time I ate one.

Trackman

Established Member
I thought traditional pancake mix is Yorkshire pudding mix.
WCPC pasties aren't the best available and are a bit overpriced...
A bit????

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
But WCPC actually taste nice, Gregg's is basically tasteless salty mush.

Other than six quid, I could never tell the difference between WCPC and Ginsters, owned by the same company. And I'd rather lick the contents of my cat's litter tray than eat a Ginsters pasty- there's probably more meat in the litter tray too.

My wife, who is Cornish, grew up in the Tamar Valley, and used to work at the Ginsters factory, considers the very mention of "Mingsters" to be swearing :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I thought traditional pancake mix is Yorkshire pudding mix.
Other than six quid, I could never tell the difference between WCPC and Ginsters, owned by the same company. And I'd rather lick the contents of my cat's litter tray than eat a Ginsters pasty- there's probably more meat in the litter tray too.

My wife, who is Cornish, grew up in the Tamar Valley, and used to work at the Ginsters factory, considers the very mention of "Mingsters" to be swearing :lol:
Quite!

jb108822

Ginsters' slogan for years was 'Real honest food'. But really? Honestly? In my mind, it barely passes as food. I did live in Cornwall for 14 years, and have eaten more pasties than I care to remember. Ginsters are firmly at the bottom of my ranking when it comes to pasties, and I think Cornish Bakehouse are quite probably top of it.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I know cinema has been hit hard, but I'm staggered to read Cineworld are now reporting a £1.3 BILLION loss...they would have to sell 130 million tickets at a tenner a piece just to cover that! (and of course it isn't quite as simplistic as that example!)

I walked past the Empire Cinema on Robin Park, opposite Wigan's DW Stadium yesterday & the place was deserted and closed up at 2pm. All the film posters normally lined up on the veranda above the door had all been taken down & the whole place looked like it had been 'mothballed'. I've not read anywhere about it closing permanently, so it did seem strange.

On the subject of the DW Sports - I'm assuming this grand stadium will change it's name in due course. The Whelan family parted company with the club ownership in 2018 and Whelan's sports chain has recently closed it's doors. The DW gyms will eventually all change to Fitness First, which is the parent company Whelan has a stake in.

On the subject of brand names, political correctness has gone mad by removing the Uncle Ben's name. In Wigan, there are Uncle Joe's Mintballs - I'm wondering if this name should go too, as it sounds like a paedophile.

CJ

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
From the Sky News website:

"Cineworld will close all of its cinemas in the UK, Ireland and US this week because of the impact of coronavirus, a Reuters news agency source has said."

C J Snarzell

Established Member
There is a separate thread about Cineworld on the forum. There is a bit of ambiguity as to whether they are closing permanent, or they are just shutting up shop until the Spring when hopefully Covid restrictions are eased (wishful thinking).

CJ

gswindale

Peacocks looking likely to fold now

Edinburgh Woollen Mills, owner of the Peacocks and Jaeger clothing brands, says it plans to appoint administrators in a bid to save the business.

The move puts 24,000 jobs at risk amid what the company described as "brutal" trading conditions.

"Like every retailer, we have found the past seven months extremely difficult," said Edinburgh Woollen Mills chief executive Steve Simpson.

The stores will continue to trade as a review of the business is carried out.

david1212

Established Member
Peacocks looking likely to fold now

I loose track of who owns who.

One Peacocks local to me closed recently but I think the building and lease played a part. There was water damage years ago when BeWise which was never properly repaired then again when Store Twenty One after which the sales area was reduced to the ground floor only. There is rebuilding now of a single story floor for shop(s) and housing above.
For another as never more than a handful of browsers let alone shoppers I've always contemplated how it is viable.

I've often wondered which sector they try to target with menswear as never anything I would choose. Back when BeWise / QS / Store Twenty One I did buy a few items over the years - I'm wearing a Store Twenty One shirt now.

Last edited:

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I have always found Peacocks to be like Primark - cheap & cheerful clopper. Their consumer market always tends to be customers on lower incomes, with their shops seemingly found in local suburban shopping parades or very small towns where you are unlikely to find a traditional dedicated clothing retailer like Next or River Island.

Very sad and yet again another nail in the UKs retail industry, which is continuing to shrink ever more. Peacocks potential 24,000 job losses will only add to the ever growing unemployment levels we have not seen in this country for a generation.

CJ

Non Multi

Peacocks went into administration as recently as 2012 so it has only taken 8 years for the brand name to get into trouble again.

david1212

Established Member
I have always found Peacocks to be like Primark - cheap & cheerful clopper. Their consumer market always tends to be customers on lower incomes, with their shops seemingly found in local suburban shopping parades or very small towns where you are unlikely to find a traditional dedicated clothing retailer like Next or River Island.
CJ

Which is why to my thinking with little local competition and ( I would expect ) lower premises costs they ought to still do reasonable trade not least with less travelling to city centres and maybe big out-of-town shopping centres too since if busy there will presumably be queuing. While of course only space for a limited number of product lines plus the need across the chain for a large enough sales volume to get a good price from manufacturers was it just me who found their ranges so unappealing?

The alternative I guess is even more online shopping and deliveries.

Jamesrob637

Established Member

Very sad and yet again another nail in the UKs retail industry, which is continuing to shrink ever more. Peacocks potential 24,000 job losses will only add to the ever growing unemployment levels we have not seen in this country for a generation.

CJ

Where I was brought up in Plymstock (Plymouth) the local shopping precinct had a Peacocks but Plymstock has some of the highest earners in Plymouth (wages are generally low there though, lower than many Northern cities and towns)

xotGD

Established Member
BBC:

"Restaurant chain Gourmet Burger Kitchen has been bought out of administration by Boparan Restaurant Group.

The deal includes 35 sites and 669 jobs. However, 26 restaurants and 362 jobs will be lost."

Trackman

Established Member
BBC:

"Restaurant chain Gourmet Burger Kitchen has been bought out of administration by Boparan Restaurant Group.

The deal includes 35 sites and 669 jobs. However, 26 restaurants and 362 jobs will be lost."
They were in trouble in pre-covid running at a loss, but at least something is being salvaged.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
And so the misery continues........ Marstons are now shredding 2150 jobs as a result of the knock on effect this mess is having on the licencing industry.

I am actually starting to think that Boris may have a deluded plan in his warp mind - continue to destroy enough pubs & bars and it might actually reduce the binge drinking culture and assist the NHS long term.

CJ

Trackman

Established Member
And so the misery continues........ Marstons are now shredding 2150 jobs as a result of the knock on effect this mess is having on the licencing industry.

I am actually starting to think that Boris may have a deluded plan in his warp mind - continue to destroy enough pubs & bars and it might actually reduce the binge drinking culture and assist the NHS long term.

CJ
And Marston's have blamed it on the 10pm shutdown.
Gawd knows about pubs in tier 3 areas and how long they will last.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
My guess is only large flagship pubs/bars will survive along with the little micro brewery outlets that have popped up over the last few years. Anything else is doomed.

CJ

Swanny200

My guess is only large flagship pubs/bars will survive along with the little micro brewery outlets that have popped up over the last few years. Anything else is doomed.

CJ

The only things left pub wise will be Wetherspoons, you might as well all rename them "The Cockroach". I ran a bar for a brief while and it was taken over by a now not so small concern in Brewdog, as much as I disliked what they said about the bar that they obtained and the state it was in, I wished them well and to be honest until lockdown thought that they were doing brilliantly, hopefully they will survive.