• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies Using "Because of COVID" As An Excuse For Poor Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo

Was speaking to an elderly relative recently, and she was telling me about how one Tesco delivery driver downright refused to help carry four crates of heavy shopping upstairs to her first floor flat "because of COVID". She has been receiving home deliveries all throughout the pandemic and every other driver has been more than happy to help. I don't know what the delivery driver was thinking at the time, but I find it really disgusting to just dump a frail, elderly woman's shopping on the doorstep and leave her to struggle carrying it upstairs to her flat...
I have been receiving exclusively home deliveries. I live in a ground floor block of 8 flats/apartments. 99% no problem. However, on 3 occasions drivers from a firm (who also do iconic taxis) refused to enter the building "because of Covid). The first two I struggled to the outside door. The third time I told the driver "you either come in to my front door or you take the goods back to the shop. I will ring them and tell them you refused to deliver them." Within 10 seconds the bags were on the floor at my feet :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TravelDream

A lot of grandparents, uncles, aunts still send cheques to family members for birthdays and Christmas, probably more so this year if they are not going to be able to see them. Cheques have to be paid into a bank. I believe there are one or two banks that facilitate doing this electronically but for the vast amount of people this isn't an option.

I still occasionally receive cheques, but their use has plummeted over the last few years.

You can pay them in on most bank apps nowadays I thought.

I still go to the bank though. My local bank has one of those cheque and cash paying in machines which tend to work fine for cheques. It used incredibly fussy over notes with it rejecting any with folds or crease-lines. Since we've moved to plastic, it seems to be a lot more forgiving.

duncanp

Established Member
This article from The Telegraph about the decline in service offered by GPs shows that some organisations, such as the NHS, are using COVID as an excuse to drive through changes that would otherwise have been unthinkable.

Does anyone have a similar experience of trying to see a GP in person, or has your experience been more positive.

Have you managed to see your GP lately? I mean, actually see them in person, not on a screen, or heard them during a consultation down the phone? Or have you, perhaps, been asked to send the surgery a photo of the tumour on your leg, which is what one reader tells me happened to her 94-year-old mother?

If you have seen a GP, congratulations! You are one of the lucky ones. What follows is a story about a lovely woman, a beloved wife, mother and dear friend, one of the tens of thousands who wasn’t lucky.

Back in November, Nick Stokes emailed the Planet Normal podcast to protest that the NHS was being turned into the “National Covid Service”, and misinformation was being spread about hospitals being overwhelmed. “If there is a shortage of beds, that happens every single year – it is not due to Covid! I can remember several years of black alerts, ambulances unable to unload etc due to flu cases, but I don’t remember everything else being cancelled or people being told to stay at home.

As the former chair of a major NHS Hospital Trust, Nick knew what he was talking about. In February, he wrote to us again, this time with shocking personal experience of the National Covid Service. “I would never have imagined the nightmare we have now had. Since the summer, my wife Joy has been complaining of leg and bottom pains to our GPs on the phone, only to be fobbed off. The doctors put it down to arthritis. Yet my wife previously had breast cancer 15 years ago, which should have rung alarm bells.

“The pains worsened in October, but the receptionist still refused to make a face-to-face appointment, saying we could be given a telephone one but no more.

“Due to Covid, face-to-face was said to be for emergency only. We were told we could self-refer to physio (the surgery wouldn’t do it), yet, when we did, all the physio would do was a phone consultation followed by some exercises. Our GPs ignored our increasingly frantic requests (and letters from physios) for an X-ray or scan. Weeks passed and Joy’s condition continued to worsen until she could not walk unaided. Eventually, her pain became so severe, I demanded painkillers. Only then did the GP book her an X-ray for early January.”

The X-ray revealed that cancer had eaten into Joy’s hip and femur. A major operation followed. Nick was utterly distraught on behalf of his wife of 46 years. “Is it surprising that we are both bitter and traumatised? This, Allison, is the truth of what happens when Covid is all that matters. If I hear Matt Hancock say once more that GP and hospital services are looking after all those who need the NHS, I will scream. If I hear him boasting that GPs can now provide the same service through telephone contact, I will throw something at the TV.

“The truth is very different. Our GP actually admitted that he was horrified how my wife had deteriorated when he eventually saw her in person! The cancer that was not diagnosed because our GPs would not see patients face-to-face has spread, not just to Joy’s bones, but into her brain. She is too weak to commence the full cancer treatment. Joy is fearful and frightened while I cannot contemplate life without her. Turning the NHS into the National Covid Service has caused my wife and I endless pain and suffering.”

Joy Stokes’s funeral was last Thursday. She was 69 years old. Nick said it was a struggle to get the numbers down to 30 for a Covid-compliant service “for somebody as popular as Joy”. It is a mark of the woman that her very last visit, when she was clearly dying, was to console a friend in the village whose cancer was also terminal.

Nick has given me permission to share his darling wife’s story with you because he wants those GPs who are still hiding behind their receptionists to know that reserving face-to-face appointments for “emergencies only” can be a death sentence.

With pubs and restaurants doing their level best to offer a service outside under an awning in the foul weather, with hairdressers cutting hair wearing PPE, with Covid deaths reported as one on Monday, what possible excuse do GPs still have for not seeing very sick, scared people like Joy Stokes?

Before Covid, around eight out of 10 GP appointments were conducted face to face. At the height of lockdown, in April 2020, that figure reportedly fell to between seven and eight per cent. The widely lamented failure to resume appointments in person has given rise to the suspicion that GPs will never get back to normal. Indeed, Covid is being used as cover for driving though a change in working practices which would be abhorrent to most British people, should they ever be consulted.

One Telegraph reader tells me she recently had a letter from her doctor saying that, henceforth, he would only offer video appointments. Richard, another reader who, after a fortnight, finally managed to get through on the phone, was told by his doctor that she needed to know his blood pressure before she renewed his medication.

“Great, at least I get to see her in person!” thought Richard. Not a bit of it. He was frankly astonished to hear the GP suggest that he buy a blood pressure monitor – “You can get one for around £20” – and do the reading himself. No further prescriptions would be issued until Richard told the doctor his blood pressure.

Is this what the future holds? DIY diagnosis which spares GPs the tedium of having to, you know, do their job? Just to be on the safe side, Marjorie, I’d purchase some goggles and a chainsaw for an impromptu, at-home amputation.

How many GPs support these innovations which fly in the face of good medical practice as it has been taught for centuries?

“I listened to Nick’s email about his wife on Planet Normal and I felt embarrassed to be a General Practitioner,” wrote Andrew from Devon. “The failure to see patients face to face has been awful. I hate it! We are trying to assess people, over the phone, with every symptom under the sun e.g. pain, breathlessness, weight loss, depression etc. It’s impossible. I’ve been trying to see patients face to face throughout this whole crisis. I lobby my fellow practice partners about returning our surgery back to normal, but sadly they remain cautious about a waiting room full of people. This is despite over 90 per cent of our patients aged over 50 having been vaccinated! Why are so many so-called ‘educated’ people still scared? I recently had a couple of cases where, were it not for seeing the patient face to face, the patient might no longer be with us. The thought makes me shudder. I desperately want Nick to know that there are GPs out there who have continued with face to face consultations as we know this is all too often the best way.”

Others GPs have emailed to tell me about their own Joys, patients whose cancer could have been picked up if only they’d been examined in person. “This afternoon, I saw someone in his forties with Stage 4 lung cancer,” writes Claire, a GP in east London. “Poor guy doesn’t stand a chance.”

Like Andrew, Claire has pleaded with colleagues to go back to normal surgery, seeing all patients face to face, but she’s been told this is “not allowed because we can’t do the social distancing required in our small waiting room”. At the moment, any patients fortunate enough to be seen are given a specific time to come in, well apart from other face-to-face appointments. “Apparently, there are no plans for this to change,” says Claire, “I’m thinking of leaving my job. This is not patient care, I feel like an administrator.”

Who or what is responsible for this insidious, deeply worrying revolution in primary care? One practice manager says that NHS England dictates Standard Operating Procedure and that GPs will be breaking their contract (with regard to patient safety and wellbeing) if they return to the previous pattern of working. Doctors are still expected to see face-to-face those that need it, “but NHS England expect that to be a definite minority”.

The guidance says GPs can’t go back to the way things were unless patients in the waiting room can be socially distanced, and most surgeries have small waiting rooms where that isn’t possible. Plus, the consulting room has to be cleaned down after each patient, so they can only see half as many patients as previously.

Honestly, how pathetic! If The Dog and Duck can put up a marquee in the car park to serve drinks, why can’t GPs think creatively and do the same for blood tests? Most women would gladly have half a shandy with their smear test.

Behind these sly manoeuvrings, I fear there are other, financial, concerns at work. A recent report said that demand for GP appointments has soared in the last year, at the same time as thousands of extra GPs promised by the Government have still to materialise.

Back in April, Matt Hancock said that “patients who have got used to online GP and outpatient appointments during the crisis may not want face-to-face appointments when things go back to normal”. The Secretary of State stressed that the NHS “must not lose” the digital “advances” that have been made during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Advances for whom, Secretary of State? They’re not advances if you’re a woman called Joy with excruciating pain in your leg who couldn’t get to see a GP who would probably have taken one look at her and referred her for an urgent scan, which would have found her cancer earlier, and enabled her to start life-prolonging treatment.

Here’s the thing, Mr Hancock. Most people still want to see a GP, not send them a photo of their ailment or take their own blood pressure. They don’t care to be part of your cost-cutting, digital healthcare revolution which strips the human touch from the doctor-patient relationship.

Nick Stokes asked me to tell his wife’s story so people would insist on better care from their GP and the Government might change the rules for surgeries “because at least then Joy’s suffering will end in her leaving the world with a positive legacy”. Are you able to see your GP? Are you a GP who wants to see patients but can’t? If so, please let me know. Our lives shouldn’t be at the mercy of bureaucrats who don’t care about the emotional consequences of their rules.

Let us be on the side of Joy. Not sorrow.

Darandio

Established Member
Does anyone have a similar experience of trying to see a GP in person, or has your experience been more positive.

Everything we have done as a family over the last 14 months GP wise has been telephone based or sending images to them, not once was anyone available to be seen. Whether that be trying to diagnose a potential ear infection by taking pictures of the outside and inside (where possible) ear. Trying to diagnose the correct type of cream for a really bad Eczema outbreak on my 8 year old son. I also had a foot infection which was again pictures and a prescription sent remotely to the pharmacy.

All of the above worked out, which I suppose is a good advert for the remote system working, although with the kids in particular i'd much rather they see someone in person to make for certain the diagnosis is correct. But in the example from your article, that's just one of what I fear will be hundreds of thousands of similar cases that will turn up over the next few years simply because people were refused direct access to their GP.

py_megapixel

Established Member
This article from The Telegraph about the decline in service offered by GPs shows that some organisations, such as the NHS, are using COVID as an excuse to drive through changes that would otherwise have been unthinkable.

My GP surgery has actually been pretty good about this. The receptionist gives you a phone appointment, but if the doctor has any doubt about the condition, or the patient is uncertain, they will not hesitate to book you a face-to-face one, always within the next few days.

The main irritation is that you only get a vague time for the initial phone appointment which means you could have to not go out for a few hours to avoid missing a call from the doctor even if said call only takes 20 minutes or so.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

This is a truly awful story, one that every righteous locktivists should read.

Why don’t we see these stories every morning on BBC breakfast news?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A person in a nearby village had a suite of furniture delivered to an elderly couple at 9.0pm a few months ago and the courier would do no more than leave it outside in the pouring rain.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member

I booked a phone appointment for a skin condition last week and got a text a few hours before it saying it might be better if you come in, which I duly did.

Bikeman78

Established Member
A person in a nearby village had a suite of furniture delivered to an elderly couple at 9.0pm a few months ago and the courier would do no more than leave it outside in the pouring rain.
Plenty of other companies are willing to deliver goods in a sensible way so hopefully companies like the one you describe will go out of business. I've recently had a washing machine and a cooker delivered; the latter included connecting it up to the gas supply.

Journeyman

Established Member
Plenty of other companies are willing to deliver goods in a sensible way so hopefully companies like the one you describe will go out of business. I've recently had a washing machine and a cooker delivered; the latter included connecting it up to the gas supply.
Isn't it illegal for a cooker to be connected to the gas supply by someone unqualified? They could hardly just dump it there.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Isn't it illegal for a cooker to be connected to the gas supply by someone unqualified? They could hardly just dump it there.
Yes it is, although if you have the hose from the old cooker (I didn't), who is going to know? Delivery without connection was an option but after ringing a couple of local tradesmen for quotes I concluded that paying extra for AO to do it was the best option for me.

Journeyman

Established Member
Yes it is, although if you have the hose from the old cooker (I didn't), who is going to know? Delivery without connection was an option but after ringing a couple of local tradesmen for quotes I concluded that paying extra for AO to do it was the best option for me.
Yeah, I'd do that simply for convenience, even if it cost a bit more.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Oh yes, very much so. I've alluded to this in other threads, but here is my wife's recent experience.

During late my wife started to experience some serious abdominal pains. Initially she put it down to a previous operation many years ago, but the pain was steadily getting worse, so she rang for an appointment with her GP. A call-back and subsequent video call was arranged, albeit not without their problems as it seems the GP never allowed more than a couple of rings before hanging up & not trying to contact again. It took another booking and another day just to get this arranged.

Once consulted, the GP decided to advise my wife to take some pain killers and contact them again if the pain didn't go away in a couple of weeks, this despite my wife having had them for a number already. Anyway the pain didn't go away & so the process was repeated, with the GP barely allowing a ring before giving up, and so more calls and more bookings were made before finally my wife got an identical call to the first, this time however with a different GP wanting to see her in person. Hoorah, well not quite. That initial appointment was cancelled twice, meaning more than another week went by before finally she got to see a practioner in person. This GP was very much more concerned worried by the possibility of a cancerous growth occurring, and told my wife various blood tests & scans would be needed urgently, so these were all arranged. And whilst the blood tests came quickly (albeit separately from the GP appointment) it took a couple of months to get the scans done, and a further 10 weeks to get the results. Thankfully they came back negative, so further scans have been arranged and just about a year after the process started she still awaits results & advice.

Now had this been a case of cancer, she could have missed out on months of vital treatment which given where the concerns lay could have seen her seriously ill or worse. Now I don't like saying this, but throughout the processes it did feel like my wife was being treated by parts of the NHS as an inconvenience to them. And there was a definite feeling as if they were more concerned with covid than anything else. And whilst some level of caution is understandable, covid is not the only health concern. Someone potentially showing signs of cancer should not be waiting so long even just for a positive or negative result. And sadly even at the thin edge of the pandemic for us the NHS, in particular some GPs show no sign of wanting to return to proper consultations, preferring to keep patient contact somewhere between minimal and zero.

duncanp

Established Member
A call-back and subsequent video call was arranged, albeit not without their problems as it seems the GP never allowed more than a couple of rings before hanging up & not trying to contact again.

That is disgraceful - it is just the GP trying to tick a box and get through as many calls as possible in the allotted time.

It reminds me of the situation in the late 1990s when Tony Blair's government supposedly guaranteed that everyone could see a GP within 48 hours:-

You rang the GP surgery on Monday morning, only to be told that there were no appointments within 48 hours. When you asked if there were any on Thursday, you were told that there were, but you can't book them yet because the government says that appointments can only be booked 48 hours in advance.

So on Tuesday - same scenario, and if you didn't ring at the crack of dawn, all the appointments were gone.

And then on Wednesday - you finally got through and the receptionist condescended to give you an appointment for Friday. So according to the records, you saw a GP within 48 hours.

Result - box ticked and everyone happy - well everyone except the patient that is, but what do patients matter?

Older forum members will remember the Flanders and Swann song The Gas Man Cometh, and you story reminds me a lot of that.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Once consulted, the GP decided to advise my wife to take some pain killers and contact them again if the pain didn't go away in a couple of weeks,
In my experience, this seems to be the first response for most things. Years of training and they tell people to take painkillers. I could do that! I have no doubt that they get bombarded by people with minor ailments that will sort themselves out but that's no help to people like me who only bother the NHS as a last resort. Thankfully I haven't had any problems over the past 13 months.

LAX54

Established Member
Placed an order a few days ago with a big Company, only to be advised that: DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS EMERGENCY, DELIVERIES MAYBE DELAYED,
Is this really still a valid excuse for poor service, I did not really agree with such statements after about 5 or 6 months ! (once builders, delivery companies, home visit workers like plumbers etc went back to work)

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
With some upcoming leave and the weather looking good I've been looking to buy some Derbyshire Wayfarers by post or phone. Yet when I clicked on the link to buy them u found the following message;

We are currently unable to issue Wayfarer tickets over the phone or by post due to the coronavirus pandemic.

We hope to reinstate this service as soon as possible when things return to normal, and we apologise for any inconvenience.

I'd be interested to know how Derbyshire County Council think a virus can be spread by travel tickets or by speaking to someone over the phone!

Darandio

Established Member
I'd be interested to know how Derbyshire County Council think a virus can be spread by travel tickets or by speaking to someone over the phone!

You should contact them to try and get an official answer about it, just don't do it by phone though as it's too dangerous. I suspect any answer they give will be comical.

duncanp

Established Member

They probably have a lot of staff "on furlough".

The cynic in me says that they are using the furlough scheme to save money on wage bills.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Knowing Derbyshire it’s probably illegal to answer a phone at the moment a la coffee drinking

DelayRepay

Established Member
With some upcoming leave and the weather looking good I've been looking to buy some Derbyshire Wayfarers by post or phone. Yet when I clicked on the link to buy them u found the following message;

Yet you can still buy them in person from one of the information centres or stations. Surely buying one face to face is (very marginally) more risky than buying one by phone or post.

I hadn't seen that ticket before. It looks very good value for a day out.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I suspect the staff who will be answering the phones are working from home and won't have access to the tickets

Jamiescott1

I think the post office parcel pick up points still being on vastly reduced hours because of covid is really poor.

A b&b i stayed in last week only cleaned bedrooms every other day because of covid and gave you a time for breakfast (in a 35 minute window) but then you will still sat on a table less than a metre from others.

Bikeman78

Established Member

The Freedom of Scotland is also unavailable at the moment. What's the thinking behind that?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
A few weeks ago I reported suspicious behaviour to the Police, they did nothing. Subsequently there has been a report of cars be8 g damaged and stolen from that very area.

Darandio

Established Member
I thought it was withdrawn to discourage 'non-essential' travel on the limited services still running during lockdown.

It's been mentioned a few times on here in the last year that it was related to ferries, other tickets that didn't have ferry travel included weren't withdrawn. I believe the National Rail site also mentioned it.

D6130

Established Member
It's been mentioned a few times on here in the last year that it was related to ferries, other tickets that didn't have ferry travel included weren't withdrawn. I believe the National Rail site also mentioned it.
Fair enough. Must have been before my time on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.