• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Companies Using "Because of COVID" As An Excuse For Poor Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamcan81

HM Land Registry. Inherited my late Mum's house. Probate granted in June last year but I'm still waiting for the title deeds to be transferred into my name. The delay is "because of Covid". :{

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
HM Land Registry. Inherited my late Mum's house. Probate granted in June last year but I'm still waiting for the title deeds to be transferred into my name. The delay is "because of Covid". :{
A year's wait? Sit back and relax, you have a lot longer yet to wait!

A friend of mine recently had to wait 18 months for the Land Registry transfer to come through. And even then only because he was selling and the solicitors prodded LR into action!

There were terrible delays even before Covid, so using Covid as an excuse is simply pathetic. It would be more honest if they said "due to government underfunding".

duncanp

Established Member
I am sure that the NHS will be using "because of COVID" as a bottom covering excuse for not doing anything for the next five years at least.

They are probably setting up template letters as we speak which start "..Due to COVID-19, we are unable to/sorry to have to cancel/<insert excuse of your choice>.."

al78

Established Member
Not sure if it was covid related, but my attempt to donate blood in my lunch hour failed. I was told to turn up at the appointed time and not earlier, so I did, then had to stand outside in a queue with four others in front of me for 25 minutes (good job it was a warm sunny summer day), before being told they were falling behind and when I finally got to the front of the queue, was told it would be an hour and a quarter before I was done and out. I told them sorry I can't take that long (I have a job to get back too and I need to eat lunch), so turned around and went back home. Half my lunch hour wasted thanks to classic Horsham crapness. What is the point of having a booked appointment if it is all going to go tits up before the morning is over?

Trying to rebook and looking where I can book on the days I don't work, apparently not within 20 miles of my address (despite living in West Sussex!!). How about not being fussy about day? Only mid afternoon appointments available (again I am at work), so bollocks to that, I'm waiting until all this crappy nonsense is over. I used to be able to donate at my village center a five minute walk away, but that venue no longer exists at the moment at least.

gnolife

Established Member
It's been mentioned a few times on here in the last year that it was related to ferries, other tickets that didn't have ferry travel included weren't withdrawn. I believe the National Rail site also mentioned it.
The Central Scotland rover was withdrawn for a while, which doesnt include ferries

trainophile

Established Member
Not sure if it was covid related, but my attempt to donate blood in my lunch hour failed. I was told to turn up at the appointed time and not earlier, so I did, then had to stand outside in a queue with four others in front of me for 25 minutes (good job it was a warm sunny summer day), before being told they were falling behind and when I finally got to the front of the queue, was told it would be an hour and a quarter before I was done and out. I told them sorry I can't take that long (I have a job to get back too and I need to eat lunch), so turned around and went back home. Half my lunch hour wasted thanks to classic Horsham crapness. What is the point of having a booked appointment if it is all going to go tits up before the morning is over?

Trying to rebook and looking where I can book on the days I don't work, apparently not within 20 miles of my address (despite living in West Sussex!!). How about not being fussy about day? Only mid afternoon appointments available (again I am at work), so bollocks to that, I'm waiting until all this crappy nonsense is over. I used to be able to donate at my village center a five minute walk away, but that venue no longer exists at the moment at least.
The Blood Donation Service is a shambles as regards getting an appointment. Many years ago they used to give you your next one as you left your last one, then they scrapped that and you could book online, choosing from several locations and dates/times, but now all the online slots are "unavailable" for months ahead (they only calendar them for a couple of months ahead), so you have to phone them, only to be told there's no slots available and to phone back in two months time. Considering the ongoing campaign to encourage people to donate, you would think they'd make more effort to accommodate people who are willing to.

I don't think it's Covid related, just rotten management and an inadequate IT system.

takno

Established Member
The Blood Donation Service is a shambles as regards getting an appointment. Many years ago they used to give you your next one as you left your last one, then they scrapped that and you could book online, choosing from several locations and dates/times, but now all the online slots are "unavailable" for months ahead (they only calendar them for a couple of months ahead), so you have to phone them, only to be told there's no slots available and to phone back in two months time. Considering the ongoing campaign to encourage people to donate, you would think they'd make more effort to accommodate people who are willing to.

I don't think it's Covid related, just rotten management and an inadequate IT system.
I suspect they've got plenty of Covid issues, ranging from a lot of the usual venues they use not being available, through people not all being conveniently packed together in offices during the daytime, people not being able to take up appointments at short notice due to isolating, and reduced capacity at venues.

The biggest though is likely to be staffing. There will have been pressure on their staff to take part in the ongoing festival of a hundred million pricks, as well as staff themselves out isolating or with the disease.

westv

Established Member
A year's wait? Sit back and relax, you have a lot longer yet to wait!

A friend of mine recently had to wait 18 months for the Land Registry transfer to come through. And even then only because he was selling and the solicitors prodded LR into action!

There were terrible delays even before Covid, so using Covid as an excuse is simply pathetic. It would be more honest if they said "due to government underfunding".
I've bought and sold a few times in my lifetime and one thing I have learnt when it comes to property selling/buying is "chase, chase, chase".

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I've bought and sold a few times in my lifetime and one thing I have learnt when it comes to property selling/buying is "chase, chase, chase".
Yes, but there's an art to it - you don't want to become a thorn in everyone's side.

duncanp

Established Member
That is exactly what you need to be.

I agree with "chase, chase, chase".

There are some very lazy solicitors and estate agents out there, who just won't lift a finger until you give them some hassle.

If you don't make a nuisance of yourself, nothing will get done.

Typhoon

Established Member
Too right. Also pre-pandemic, I live in Kent (CT postcode), I was offered an appointment in Derby. Even my previous address in Birmingham is not exactly close by.

brad465

Established Member
There is now an article citing research that customers are fed up with the "because of covid" excuse for poor service (the thread author is a psychic it turns out):

Customers are fed up with being told they are getting poor service "because of Covid", according to research.
Firms are being accused of using the pandemic as an excuse for long waits on the telephone or late deliveries, the UK Institute of Customer Service said.
It said that consumers were initially tolerant of delays and other issues as businesses fought to cope with the effects of the crisis.
But it said a blanket excuse was no longer sufficient.

The number of complaints about poor service in the last six months was at its highest level since 2009, according to the institute's survey of 10,000 people.
The sectors with the biggest issues were transport, local public services - such as GP surgeries, councils and police services, and telecommunications, the survey suggested.
A quarter of those asked said that some organisations had used Covid as an excuse for poor service.
"Saying 'because of Covid' is not a good phrase," said Jo Causon, the institute's chief executive. "Organisations must not hide behind this blanket statement."
She said that many businesses had responded admirably to the difficulties created by the pandemic. She said that managed queuing systems, such as inviting people to call at quieter times, was one area of success.
Others had gone out of their way to assist people during the crisis, she said. Delays in deliveries had also arisen owing to the container ship that blocked the Suez Canal in March, and border issues as a result of Brexit.
Retailers needed to be honest with customers when they started looking at a particular product about any potential delays, she said, so they were aware of how long they might have to wait to inform their decision about what to buy.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
and border issues as a result of Brexit.
I do wonder if the government has been somewhat happy that COVID has caused all this chaos because it has hidden how much Brexit has potentially affected us in terms of delays in deliveries (and not just to consumers, but things like deliveries of food to supermarkets etc is also being impacted).

greyman42

Established Member
I do wonder if the government has been somewhat happy that COVID has caused all this chaos because it has hidden how much Brexit has potentially affected us in terms of delays in deliveries (and not just to consumers, but things like deliveries of food to supermarkets etc is also being impacted).
Covid has also taken the Crossrail debacle out of the spotlight and no doubt they will try to lay some of the blame at Covids door.

duncanp

Established Member
Here is another example of a company using COVID as an excuse for making life less convenient for people.

I have a booking for a one night stay at a Hub by Premier Inn in London on Friday 23rd July.

When I made the booking, the check in time was 2pm.

Today I received an e-mail which stated:-

Later check-in time

The safety of our guests and teams is our number one priority, so over the summer we’ve changed our check-in time to 4pm to make sure our team have time to clean your room thoroughly and ensure it’s perfect when you arrive. But our team will do their best to check you in earlier if we have rooms available.

Later on it said

We know you’re raring to go and all these changes might seem like a hassle, but your safety is our priority. We won’t rest easy until you can.

In truth is issue is likely to be a shortage of staff due to people self isolating or recruitment issues.

But if that is the case, why not just say so, rather than come up with some patronising corporate guff about my "safety".

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Here is another example of a company using COVID as an excuse for making life less convenient for people.

I have a booking for a one night stay at a Hub by Premier Inn in London on Friday 23rd July.

When I made the booking, the check in time was 2pm.

Today I received an e-mail which stated:-

Later on it said

In truth is issue is likely to be a shortage of staff due to people self isolating or recruitment issues.

But if that is the case, why not just say so, rather than come up with some patronising corporate guff about my "safety".
Some people will blindly accept any excuse that begins with "due to Covid...".

Some people, like you, will see through this and call them out for it.

And a very small minority will take that email as the proposed variation of contract that it is, let alone write to Premier Inn to give notice of their objection to the variation.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Premier Inn don't return to checking in from 2pm and stick with 4pm. Unless you happen to pay extra money to request an earlier check in.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have several bookings with them that when they were made they stated a check in time of 14.00 but now they have changed them all to 16.00.

For most of them the revised check in time is OK given my likely arrival times but there is one where I really would like to check in at the agreed "after 14.00" time. I have been told by the hotel that I may get in at the agreed time but that is "subject to availability".

The excuse is "enhanced cleaning" but over the last few weeks they were undertaking the same level of "enhanced cleaning" and the check in time was 14.00.....

bengley

Established Member
Just turn up at 1400 and kick up a fuss. They'll have a clean room ready I'm sure.

duncanp

Established Member
Just turn up at 1400 and kick up a fuss. They'll have a clean room ready I'm sure.

UPDATE : I have cancelled the booking with Premier Inn and have now found a Travelodge at a cheaper rate, even when I pay £10 extra to check in from noon. :D :D

So up yours Premier Inn, you should start thinking of the customers a bit more, and stop giving us patronising bovine excrement about "...your safety is our top priority..." and "...we're so excited to be welcoming you back this summer" and worst of all "..We know you’re raring to go and all these changes might seem like a hassle, but your safety is our priority. We won’t rest easy until you can...."

VauxhallandI

Established Member
UPDATE : I have cancelled the booking with Premier Inn and have now found a Travelodge at a cheaper rate, even when I pay £10 extra to check in from noon. :D :D

So up yours Premier Inn, you should start thinking of the customers a bit more, and stop giving us patronising bovine excrement about "...your safety is our top priority..." and "...we're so excited to be welcoming you back this summer" and worst of all "..We know you’re raring to go and all these changes might seem like a hassle, but your safety is our priority. We won’t rest easy until you can...."
I hope you told them?

duncanp

Established Member
I hope you told them?

I can't be bothered really.

If I do, all that will happen is that I get a reply with more corporate guff about how they are "...working hard to keep you safe...", which will make me want to throw up.

kristiang85

Established Member
A couple of weeks back I bought a very high value, investment item (worth four figures) as I was diversifying my savings, and had it sent to me via Royal Mail signed for special delivery.

I waited all day for it to come, and not only did it come after 1pm, it was just shoved through the letterbox.

I went online to see the signature and it just had a X with "COVID" written next to it.

Had the item been delivered to the wrong address I doubt I'd ever have tracked it; indeed when I used to live in a flat I relied on signatures to find who in the concierge signed for items that (regularly) went missing in their complex postal system.

Considering they haven't reduced the prices of their special delivery, it is quite appalling really to still be hiding behind 'COVID'.

island

Veteran Member
A couple of weeks back I bought a very high value, investment item (worth four figures) as I was diversifying my savings, and had it sent to me via Royal Mail signed for special delivery.

I waited all day for it to come, and not only did it come after 1pm, it was just shoved through the letterbox.

I went online to see the signature and it just had a X with "COVID" written next to it.
I would point out that special delivery is now a 4pm service rather than 1pm and is insured up to £500 (with the option to pay extra to increase this to £2,500).

I’m glad to hear that your item reached you safely.

takno

Established Member

Had the item been delivered to the wrong address I doubt I'd ever have tracked it; indeed when I used to live in a flat I relied on signatures to find who in the concierge signed for items that (regularly) went missing in their complex postal system.

Considering they haven't reduced the prices of their special delivery, it is quite appalling really to still be hiding behind 'COVID'.
Special delivery has been absolutely worthless for years. I've had stuff signed for by posties more often than I've ever actually been asked to sign for it myself. If you've got a high value item to send then even Yodel can probably deliver it more reliably and trackably

duncanp

Established Member
Worth mentioning that the Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 is having an item about this very topic at lunchtime today.

In the trailer, they gave an example of an ice cream van that you can only have 2 scoops of one flavour, not 1 scoop of one flavour, and another scoop of a different flavour.

Will be worth listening to just to see how ridiculous some of the answers are.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Worth mentioning that the Jeremy Vine programme on Radio 2 is having an item about this very topic at lunchtime today.

In the trailer, they gave an example of an ice cream van that you can only have 2 scoops of one flavour, not 1 scoop of one flavour, and another scoop of a different flavour.
The rationale being...:s

Status
Not open for further replies.