• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Compareing Hatfield to the Japanese Tsunami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ji459

It's interesting that the hack thinks the 2 events are even remotely comparable

LE Greys

Established Member
It's interesting that the hack thinks the 2 events are even remotely comparable

Precisely! The biggest reason it took so long to sort things out after Hatfield is that they had to find the problem. Rolling contact fatigue can't be easy to spot, and from what I remember, it was an absolute nightmare trying to work out where the problems were and sort it all out while still providing a service.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I wasn't saying the article is correct. Interesting in more of a thought provoking way. And it clearly provoked thoughts!

causton

Established Member
What's going through that reporter's head.

"Hello! I are reporter.

Complex fault that was not truly discovered when the accident happened, why was that not sorted in the same timeframe as immediately obvious problem which has many different methods of limiting damage?

Also, I will demonstrate a lack of understanding, make my article seem worse by emphasising how the Hatfield crash killed people but the Japan incident didn't kill any train passengers, and talk about things that are 'on the track on the track [sic]'."

Now unless they want every train to follow a NMT around to inspect the track constantly all the time there was no way that it could have been fixed any faster...!

Schnellzug

Established Member
what qualifications does one need to be Transport Editor for even a prestigious broadsheet? Or is it like Ministerial positions, where you climb up the ladder of prestige regardless of how much you actually know about the subject? 650 trains on track on the track, eh? :|

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

And there's the obligatory Beeching reference in the comments too.

Beaching, you mean.

Last edited:

PinzaC55

The main difference is that Japan has a history of earthquakes and earthquakes can, to a limited extent, be predicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.