• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comparing Value First singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,

I've just done a quick fare check for London Kings Cross to Hull.

I was pleased to see that Hull Trains has finally put on the internet, their own Value singles, instead of phone/station only.

The shocking comparison, however, when browsing through different TOCs prices is:

Cheapest SC GNER single= £11.25.
Cheapest SC HTs single= £15.00

Cheapest FC GNER single= £33.15
Cheapest FC HTs single= £64.00.

HT only Saver single= £39.00
Any TOC (incl GNER) Saver Single= £74.00 (On that respect HT is very good)

HT only SOS= £58.00
ANY TOC= SOS £79.00

HT FOS= £99.00
Any TOC FOS= £119.00

GNER charge £24 for a 2-course meal, and £29 for a 3-course meal.

I admit that i'm not sure what you get exactly on HT, but if it's not to GNER's standard, let alone exceeding it, I probably wouldn't be happy.

The pictures on HTs website, of hot food, don't really inspire me TBH.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Hull trains is aimed at a business market and hence don't offer cheap tickets as First Class is always fairly busy, hence the recent addition of more FC seats!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks for the reply Liam, and the compulsory inclusion of !!!'s !! .

Look's like i'll stick with GNER then!

I've never gone on Hull Trains before, and looks like i won't do next week either.

T

Tom

Price reflects demand - demand on Hull Trains for First Class is high, hence the high cost of advance purchase fares. It's all relative.

It's also why HT introduced more seats on their FC section. :)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Has anyone on here every travelled with HT on FC, and if so, what's it like?

The main reason why i wanted to try it, is because of the enhanced levels of service in FC, compared to Voyagers.

rail-britain

Established Member
In First Class you get pretty much what GNER passengers get, but you are also served one meal, depending on time of day

The fares are a premium, as a result of direct service, in some cases a slightly reduced travel time, and a meal

Personally, I'd travel GNER and buy £15.00 worth of food on-train

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I've made up my mind, and shall definately avoid using the Hull Trains Pioneer.

Just out of interest, what kind of meal is served on the 13:33 ex Kings Cross,or 10:12/12:45 ex Hull?

What variety of choices is on offer?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've been on Hull Trains first class before, but only for very short journies. Me and a friend went to Doncaster on first day singles on the morning service out of Hull, and were offered a full breakfast (quite small but very nice!), fruit juice, coffees and free newspapers. It was great value considering the First day single was only about £3 more than the standard one!

On another occasion, I travelled on a first single to Garforth, changing at Selby. This was an evening sevice, and had there been time I would have been offered a full hot meal (salmon of some kind or a meat from what I remember). Due to the short time, I opted for a pasta salad (starter) and a desert, as well as glasses of coke. Both were delicious. So all in all, I'd rate the food on Hull Trains pretty highly (better than VXC), but nobody has yet beaten the GNER full english breakfast - absolutely divine, but still very pricey (£15 odd?).

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Now that's persuaded me to go HT! :rasp:

At least i've the option of deciding which TOC to go with along the ECML, and if i do Meridian or HST along the MML (probably the latter).

rail-britain

Established Member
Are simply going for a "First Class experience" or is it journey specific?

I make a few journeys between Glasgow and London
My employer requests that I go by airline, but if I can find it for the "same price" I can go by train
By hunting around I can find Advanced First fares for the "same price", taking into account parking and travel to/from Glasgow Airport, and my daily food allowance
By choosing VT this then still gives me some food and drink, which otherwise I would have to buy and eat, before or after the flight

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Are simply going for a "First Class experience" or is it journey specific?

A bit of both in a way:-

1) I want to cover the ECML one way, either York to Kings Cross, or Kings Cross to York (or alternatively Doncaster or Hull)

2) MML Sheffield to London St Pancras.

Because I'm travelling from Manchester, I would probably try to get an Advance First TPE return to/from a station like Hull, but could alternatively get a CDR on an alternative route.

Edit: And I've never used the HT service before, and was interested in it. Many thanks to Max and M8internet for your recent posts. It sounds like HT are very good in providing the food service, even for a short journey to/from Hull etc.

me123

Established Member
My employer requests that I go by airline, but if I can find it for the "same price" I can go by train

It would be fair to say that FC VT is more likely to be cheaper if booked in advance for a rather long period of time. And once you put car parking refreshments and taxes into the equation, VT are probably cheaper quite a lot of airlines booked a wee while in advance.

I'd really like to do GLC-EUS on a Virgin Pendo. I've heard the FC experience is very good there (with meals and exceptional service) and, of course, I want to tilt, which I've heard is quite impressive in places. But, at the mo, I have neither the time nor the money. :(

1D53

Established Member
The food in on HT is quite small portions but it is very very good stuff.

rail-britain

Established Member
It would be fair to say that FC VT is more likely to be cheaper if booked in advance for a rather long period of time
I make two types of journey by FC VT :
Business
Leisure

The business ones I tend to book last minute (say 7 to 10 days before travel)
The leisure ones I tend to book as soon as reservations open

I'd really like to do GLC-EUS on a Virgin Pendo. I've heard the FC experience is very good there (with meals and exceptional service) and, of course, I want to tilt, which I've heard is quite impressive in places. But, at the mo, I have neither the time nor the money
Luckily you live at the Scottish end of the Glasgow - Euston service, and this is where the tilt is more effective
Once a month I take a Saturday Glasgow - Preston / Preston - Glasgow
This is the same price as a Glasgow - Carlisle / Carlisle - Glasgow!
Not only that, you can leave it right to a few days before travel, as this ticket is always available at £21 single
I've done this so many times now, I have a shortlist of favourite seats
Sadly, there are only a handful of corners taken at full tilt at 125mph, but they are all between Carstairs and Lockerbie!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tell us when you're going, we will charge you £10 for "Super First Class", we will then get on the same train as you, and buy a load of food from M&S Simply Food (costing £5) we will then offer you "complementary snacks" during your journey, and you'll then be posting on here raving about the freebies within minutes of arriving back ;):lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.