• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comparison of motoring offences vs rail ticketing offences

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
As an aside, your 31 in a 30 zone analogy isn't apt as there often an allowance for speedometers not being exact. And they rarely prosecute even at 35 in a 30 zone.

It's illegal for a speedo to underread so they would be perfectly able to prosecute someone caught doing 31 if they wished, but the guidance to the police is not to - perhaps for the reason that it could be seen as unfair.

PR wise it would be a nightmare, as I doubt most people would appreciate speedos are offset to avoid this problem and so someone caught doing 31 would likely be fully aware they were speeding as their actual speedo would be likely showing 34 or 35mph! If a speedo was underreading, you can also argue that this is of no concern to the police.

So, I think it was actually a very apt comparison and shows that the police use discretion all the time. Some for PR reasons, some to simply stop officers being dogged down with what would otherwise become a load more offences - as I suspect most people are quite knowingly speeding in 20, 30 and 40mph zones - but not to a level that anything other than a fixed, uncaring, speed camera might take an interest in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjmillsnun

Established Member
It's illegal for a speedo to underread so they would be perfectly able to prosecute someone caught doing 31 if they wished, but the guidance to the police is not to - perhaps for the reason that it could be seen as unfair.

Correct.

pizza_tester

Mods' note: split from Season ticket expired by one day

... I am however disheartened at the attitude of zero tolerance shown by some members of the forum even when there are mitigating circumstances. Sure, the law is the law but there has to be some leeway otherwise you would end up making criminals of ordinary people.

By way of example, the police don’t normally chase and prosecute someone who is driving at 31 in a 30 zone. Common sense has to prevail at some point.....

Last edited by a moderator:

najaB

Veteran Member
Your 31 in a 30 zone analogy isn't apt as there often an allowance for speedometers not being exact. And they rarely prosecute even at 35 in a 30 zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.