• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 247 :: Voting

Votes: 5 17.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 24.1%

Votes: 6 20.7%

Votes: 4 13.8%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 2 6.9%

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
Never said that there had to be trains in the pictures! Although there is a bit of what I think is a 185 on the left hand side near the corner.

minette

Had to hunt but I knew I'd seen it on here - check out Comp 239: Night Shots - Jordy clearly states "Yes, all competitions should include a train unless otherwise stated" (post no 5). Maybe the rules have changed since then though, it was all of 2 months ago...!

Jordy

Established Member
There are two trains in number 15, one below the departure board and another on the far left ;)

Number 10 has a name on it...

Now that is strange - I removed it yesterday and it isn't showing here now, have removed the caption and added it again, has it gone now? :?

mumrar

Established Member
I went for 6 as it represents both the traction and locations I wish it was possible to photograph. 3 is a timeless scene, but it struck me as the main subjects are under-exposed and not helped by the over-exposed outside either.

minette

There are two trains in number 15, one below the departure board and another on the far left ;)

I sit corrected - many apologies:oops:! Your eyesight is far better than mine Jordy - I'll have to get the glasses changed...

curly42

I went for 6 as it represents both the traction and locations I wish it was possible to photograph. 3 is a timeless scene, but it struck me as the main subjects are under-exposed and not helped by the over-exposed outside either.
Whilst I agree with the above,I've noticed a steady increase in comments regarding the photographic quality of entries over the last few weeks.I myself think that this is a good thing but how do other people feel ?
The big danger I see is critiscism from people with very little knowledge of photography.Bearing in mind the pictures range from camera phones to top of the range digital SLRs,it's very easy to become too picky.I've seen pictures win that I would have thrown in the bin - although to me that's the beauty of the competition,that a well exposed,well lit shot that took hours of planning could be trounced by an out of focus under/over exposed example.Long may it remain so.
Anyone else think we should have more critiscism,or less - although it should stay light-hearted.

David

Established Member
Competitions will always attract criticism, and when a photo is entered that doesn't fit the theme, rightly so. Although to be fair, I think comments about photos should be kept to a minimum in here. Any constructive criticism should be made when people publish their photos.

eezypeazy

Personally, I think less critcism, and more comment...

The reasons for voting for a particular picture can be so diverse. This week, for example, I chose Number 1, because First Gen DMUs in black and white are just so evocative of my childhood... it is a good picture, too.

But I think it must be said that, overall, the standard of entries has improved dramatically this year, in terms of both the technicalities and in composition. Although I've entered many of them (but not this weeks), I have yet to win...

Keep up the good work, everyone...

Regards

eezypeazy

Craig

Established Member
I don't think any of the comments on these threads are particularly harsh, but maybe they would be better saved for other threads as the competitions are supposed to be anonymous so it's difficult to have a discussion without revealing who took it.

Anyway, I liked 4 despite it not being true black and white.

EE Type 3

Established Member
Had to hunt but I knew I'd seen it on here - check out Comp 239: Night Shots - Jordy clearly states "Yes, all competitions should include a train unless otherwise stated" (post no 5). Maybe the rules have changed since then though, it was all of 2 months ago...!

Can't you see the 158 poking out from behind the board? :razz:

I went for 1 :)

curly42

Can't you see the 158 poking out from behind the board? :razz:

I went for 1 :)

Well,duh,I guess not or it wouldn't have been mentioned would it ?? Self inflicted wound there I believe my friend.Do you give lessons in stating the obvious ??

minette

Suggest you read my second post there EE Type 3 - it was pointed out and I apologized for not seeing it - and then poked fun at myself because I wore glasses. Maybe you should get your eyes checked out?

EE Type 3

Established Member
Suggest you read my second post there EE Type 3 - it was pointed out and I apologized for not seeing it - and then poked fun at myself because I wore glasses. Maybe you should get your eyes checked out?

I actually did notice it after posting, and forgot to edit my post. I also apologise.

Curly42, I do give lessons in stating the obvious, Level 2 Stating the Obvious being the most popular. However there was no need to take that attitude with me.

curly42

I'd like to sign up for the whole course,although I think we should start at level 1,although that may be stating the obvious (hey,I get it,that was level 1 wasn't it).
Also,I'd like to say that I didn't take that attitude with you,I took it on my own - but I paid for it,honestly - I've got the receipt.
I'm off now to get a life...

almark

Personally i like constructive critisim,it helps me to learn,i made the mistake originally of turning down help,but must say after teaching myself,from what i've read and been told i think i am now getting many more good photos compared to what i was when i took my first for my site in 2006. So long as its not insulting such as blatently saying "That's crap"etc i like it! Although i always seem to be learning a new camera,which doesn't help the quality.....,because i used to smash them up. I currently have 3 and have to say it gets quite difficult remembering the characteristics of each!

Cheers,
Mark

me123

Established Member
The next POTW is running late, or so it seems. This is usually Jordy's job, I know, but just to put you all out of your misery:

Congratulations, almark!

thumb_IMG_2104_%282%29.JPG

01 - 37427
02 - Daniel533
03 - almark
04 - Phoenix
05 - LaSeandre
06 - curly42
07 - 60033 'Tees Steel Express'
08 - LittleRedTrain
09 - minette
10 - Jx^
11 - Gizmogle
12 - CraigS
13 - mumrar
14 - Conner
15 - Craig
16 - David
17 - dan_atki

Jordy will start the next one whenever he decides to show up ;)

Phoenix

Established Member
Wow Im quite surprised I came second seen as though my choice may have sparked debate being mainly sepia.

Status
Not open for further replies.