• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 306 :: Voting

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 24.1%

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 6 20.7%

Votes: 2 6.9%

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
I chose 6 this week; I'm not a fan of those type of shots, but in this case I think it has worked really well. I also thought number 4 was really good, as was the effect in number one. I particularly like number 16, too. A completely different shot to all the others that captures the mood just as well in my opinion.

TEW

Established Member
I think that this week there were 18 good photos this week but not many I really liked, maybe that is just the subject. Did pick a favourite in the end though, that is Number 9. I like the way that you can see the Juniper in the foreground but see the rest of the station through it, a nice effect in my opinion.

mumrar

Established Member
I've gone for 6 this week as it is a nice close in capture of the unit. I know we say about not voting if you don't think something fits, but it's still worth explaining why. I looked hard for any morion in 14 but couldn't see any, so an odd choice of entry really. I'm also concerned by the black bands on 17, almost like it's in widescreen, but why would you have the black bits on it??? Looks like it's a capture from a video or a website elsewhere (don't look deeply into this as an accusation though).

I had loads to choose from and I ran out of time looking back through photos, but I allowed my entry to be influenced by thinking people would not vote for certain traction so clouding my own judgement really.

Well done all, look forward to seeing which wins.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Well one or two of these are just blurred because they're not very good photos, i.e. the whole of the photo is blurred not just the moving bit!

6 and 11 are excellent. It's much harder to get the moving object sharp and the rest blurred, than vice versa.

Last edited:

Boxcars

I tend not to like really blurred photos that show motion so it was between 4, 11 and 14 for me this week and I've decided to vote for number 4.

minette

I tend not to like really blurred photos that show motion so it was between 4, 11 and 14 for me this week and I've decided to vote for number 4.

Maybe I'm missing something here - surely the title of this week's competition was "Shots showing motion"? On that basis, the shots that don't show motion should be disallowed, or not voted for. I personally don't like motion shots very much either, and I happen to think no 4 is absolutely stunning - but it doesn't fit the category (in my opinion) so I didn't vote for it. I voted for no 9, because you can see the lights from the moving train, but there's something of interest behind it to look at as well. Best of both worlds for me.

Pumbaa

Established Member
5 or 9 - both excellent shots in my opinion. In both, I liked the fact the station was visible, but went for 5 ultimately, as being German made it a tad more interesting.

Boxcars

Maybe I'm missing something here - surely the title of this week's competition was "Shots showing motion"? On that basis, the shots that don't show motion should be disallowed, or not voted for. I personally don't like motion shots very much either, and I happen to think no 4 is absolutely stunning - but it doesn't fit the category (in my opinion) so I didn't vote for it. I voted for no 9, because you can see the lights from the moving train, but there's something of interest behind it to look at as well. Best of both worlds for me.

I think you might be missing something here :)
I personally can feel the motion much more in number 4 than I can in number 9 ;)

curly42

I think you might be missing something here :)
I personally can feel the motion much more in number 4 than I can in number 9 ;)
I really really hope that you're trying to wind someone up and that you're not being serious.Picture 4 may be an ok standard wedgie shot but there is no way at all on this earth that it conveys the feeling or impression of motion.For all we know the train could be at a stand in the station.
There is nothing in the picture that fits in with the spirit of the competition theme - you may feel that it does but I'd suggest that you re-think your views on what demonstrates motion.
The photograph does not convey motion - it's just a pleasant snapshot of an interesting locomotive that may be moving,or may not be.
I know there's been a lot of discussion lately regarding the competition,the majority of which has been very positive,but this is really getting silly - although,as I say,I hope you're not being serious.

ladysue

To me it is obvious that the Steam train in 4 is moving. The way the huge head of steam is blowing behind the loco shows it is moving. I thought about entering a steam train myself but thought there would be people who couldnt see the movement in the picture. Other pictures in the competition could just be the photographer panning whereas with the steamer you get the clue from the amount of and direction of the steam.

Established Member
To me it is obvious that the Steam train in 4 is moving. The way the huge head of steam is blowing behind the loco shows it is moving. I thought about entering a steam train myself but thought there would be people who couldnt see the movement in the picture. Other pictures in the competition could just be the photographer panning whereas with the steamer you get the clue from the amount of and direction of the steam.

Or it could just be windy...

curly42

The fact that the loco has a full head of steam is not indicative of movement.Even the hint of smoke isn't.As 90019 says,it could simply be an effect of the wind.Maybe it indicates movement to the untrained eye,but that's about it.
I'm somewhat puzzled by the comment about panning - a few of the shots are panned (there are good and bad examples) and quite a few use time exposures - both long accepted forms of portraying movement.
In almost 50 years of railway photography I've seen a lot of pictures that convey movement - picture number 4 doesn't.Pure and simple.People may think that it does but it doesn't.

Richmond

Although No.4 is a great picture it is too photoshopped and doesn't show movement in the way that others do. Pictures that maintain the train in focus and fore/background blurred show fantastic technique from the photographer and one of these will get my vote.

Boxcars

I really really hope that you're trying to wind someone up and that you're not being serious.Picture 4 may be an ok standard wedgie shot but there is no way at all on this earth that it conveys the feeling or impression of motion.For all we know the train could be at a stand in the station.
There is nothing in the picture that fits in with the spirit of the competition theme - you may feel that it does but I'd suggest that you re-think your views on what demonstrates motion.
The photograph does not convey motion - it's just a pleasant snapshot of an interesting locomotive that may be moving,or may not be.
I know there's been a lot of discussion lately regarding the competition,the majority of which has been very positive,but this is really getting silly - although,as I say,I hope you're not being serious.

Apologies to minette, but it did fit the category in my opinion, and I DID vote for it. Apologies too to curly42. Of course I was not really really trying to wind anyone up, and yes, strangely, I was being serious. Why do you ask that? Obviously, with 50 years experience, your opinion is right and the one I MUST respect (not sure why I should though). My opinion doesn’t count at all it seems. But I’ll say it again… I CAN feel the motion in number 4 and I’ll stand by that. I have to say that I totally agree with me123 on his favourites this week. All three of those are worthy in my opinion too.

dan_atki

Established Member
Please don't let the argument get heated any more. Having to lock this thread before Sunday 1900 will result in the poll finishing prematurely.

It has been said many times in the past that if you feel a picture doesn't fit the category then don't vote for it! Having an all out attack here over whether or not picture 4 shows motion really doesn't achieve anything in the long run!

What has also been said before is that this competition is a bit of light hearted fun - please don't let discussions like this ruin that :).

Boxcars

Please don't let the argument get heated any more. Having to lock this thread before Sunday 1900 will result in the poll finishing prematurely.

It has been said many times in the past that if you feel a picture doesn't fit the category then don't vote for it! Having an all out attack here over whether or not picture 4 shows motion really doesn't achieve anything in the long run!

What has also been said before is that this competition is a bit of light hearted fun - please don't let discussions like this ruin that :).

I apologise for my "all out attack" eh? [scratches head] I really like picture four. I resign from Photo Of The Week.

curly42

No ones opinion is ever "right" - there's too many shades of grey.You can only ever go by what you have gained over the years by trial and error,experience and advice from those you respect.You may feel that the picture says motion but in all seriousness it doesn't.
Faith my friend - oh yes,and trust the force - it will be your guide.

mumrar

Established Member
It just comes down to peoples interpretation of the title. When I chose the subject, I envisaged blurring via panning or time exposure, but that's not to say 4 doesn't convey motion. I just couldn't find the right English to define what I wanted, so blame me for the confusion.

I'm also annoyed I had to enter from another computer short notice cos I forgot totally, and didn't get to enter my preferred shot of choice that was on my hard drive.

So best of luck to all with your entries vote wise, and for the record the shot I SHOULD have entered is below:

yntn45.jpg

minette

Mumrar - I have only one thing to say about that photo - WOW! That would definitely have got my vote - you can see the movement, but it's subtle enough not to give me a headache!:D

ladysue

The fact that the loco has a full head of steam is not indicative of movement.Even the hint of smoke isn't.As 90019 says,it could simply be an effect of the wind.Maybe it indicates movement to the untrained eye,but that's about it.
I'm somewhat puzzled by the comment about panning - a few of the shots are panned (there are good and bad examples) and quite a few use time exposures - both long accepted forms of portraying movement.
In almost 50 years of railway photography I've seen a lot of pictures that convey movement - picture number 4 doesn't.Pure and simple.People may think that it does but it doesn't.

So you think it looks like its standing still do you? :)

Daimler

Established Member
I'm going to go for No. 1 - it was between that and No. 6, both were excellent (as were various others!).

No. 1, I think, captures the 'feel' of the train beautifully. I love the almost uninterrupted 'flow' of the oil tankers, with the almost ghost-like shadow of the station behind it.

dan_atki

Established Member
Please do not make it obvious which picture is yours! :) In order to retain the integrity of the competition a couple of posts have been removed.

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats Swiss Toni

thumb_HDR%2B.jpg

01 - D306
02 - Sulzer25
03 - Daniel533
04 - Swiss Toni
05 - 33056
06 - curly42
07 - Jim
08 - 43034 The Black Horse