• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 320 :: Voting

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 2 7.7%

Votes: 3 11.5%

Votes: 10 38.5%

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 07 (disqualified - please see below)

Votes: 7 26.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_atki

Established Member
8 to choose from this week.

http://www.railforums.org.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=79

Votes in by 1900 next Sunday please :).

EDIT: Entry 07 has been disqualified from the competition for editting. Please do not vote for 07. If you have already voted for 07 and would like to change to another option, please PM me.

Winner of 320 will be the entry with the most votes, excluding 07.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Suprised there are only 8 entries, particularly for an "open" theme.

mumrar

Established Member
I am not only surprised by the lack of entries, but by the poor quality generally of the photos. Not all are bad, but considering everyone had the chance to enter ANYTHING they wanted railway-esque I'm shocked. I voted for the Western at Laira, great shot and exposure and great record of the past.

eezypeazy

For me, the shot of the Western was too busy - the building behind it detracted from the subject matter - but, before anyone gets offended, it was still a nice photograph.

But for me, Number 7 was the best this week. I loved the moody sky, offset by the colour in the DMU and coaching stock. It nicely captured the essence of a preserved railway, attempting to portray days gone by... Nice.

Regards

eezypeazy

ladysue

For me, the shot of the Western was too busy - the building behind it detracted from the subject matter - but, before anyone gets offended, it was still a nice photograph.

But for me, Number 7 was the best this week. I loved the moody sky, offset by the colour in the DMU and coaching stock. It nicely captured the essence of a preserved railway, attempting to portray days gone by... Nice.

Regards

eezypeazy

I just wonder how much editing has been done on number 7. It doesnt look natural, straight out of the camera.There have been several entries recenly with similar effects. I thought the rules were only basic cropping etc allowed.

minette

I just wonder how much editing has been done on number 7. It doesnt look natural, straight out of the camera.There have been several entries recenly with similar effects. I thought the rules were only basic cropping etc allowed.

Couldn't agree more - another chocolate box picture. This is precisely why I haven't entered for the last couple of weeks - I haven't got the time (or inclination!) to muck up a photograph to create a picture like this, which, sadly to me at least, will probably win. Come on folks, this is a photography competition for fun, not a competition on who can play the best on their computer!

all of my photos were taken with a very basic 5MP camera on its 1.3MP mode (except for my older ones which would have to be scaled to be able to enter into this competition)

dan_atki

Established Member

Come on folks, this is a photography competition for fun, not a competition on who can play the best on their computer!

Indeed, entering such an edited photo is now against the rules of the competition. Admittedly, we hope this moderates itself as it can be difficult to tell legitimate entries from those that have been edited. If, however, you have some evidence that photos have been modified, then feel free to PM either me or Jordy and we'll take appropriate action :).

ladysue

Indeed, entering such an edited photo is now against the rules of the competition. Admittedly, we hope this moderates itself as it can be difficult to tell legitimate entries from those that have been edited. If, however, you have some evidence that photos have been modified, then feel free to PM either me or Jordy and we'll take appropriate action :).

I dont know enough about photography to know what modifications have been made. It is a very nice photo. It just looks too much like a painting. I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure that after the competition has finished the person who took it will tell us all how to get pictures as nice as this.
Sue

mumrar

Established Member
I dont know enough about photography to know what modifications have been made. It is a very nice photo. It just looks too much like a painting. I hope I'm wrong but I'm sure that after the competition has finished the person who took it will tell us all how to get pictures as nice as this.
Sue

I was unaware of the rule change to photos not being allowed anything except cropping to be done. I am not going to get into a big debate over this, but films receive after attention when processed by labs and always have done. It seems odd to ban something just because not everyone can do it. What next, a ban on SLRs and expensive lenses? Only overcast photos allowed because we don't all get sunshine? As you've probably guessed by now, the DMU photo is mine. I can confirm it is processed so remove it, ban me for my rant or whatever for my sins. Maybe we should run the competition seperately so that people who take it more seriously don't get vitriol from those who do not. Whilst I now know I've broken a rule, but we don't get pub football teams saying top level players should be banned because they eat well and train full time.

Last edited:

ladysue

I was unaware of the rule change to photos not being allowed anything except cropping to be done. I am not going to get into a big debate over this, but films receive after attention when processed by labs and always have done. It seems odd to ban something just because not everyone can do it. What next, a ban on SLRs and expensive lenses? Only overcast photos allowed because we don't all get sunshine? As you've probably guessed by now, the DMU photo is mine. I can confirm it is processed so remove it, ban me for my rant or whatever for my sins. Maybe we should run the competition seperately so that people who take it more seriously don't get vitriol from those who do not. Whilst I now know I've broken a rule, but we don't get pub football teams saying top level players should be banned because they eat well and train full time.

I dont think all processing is banned. I am sorry if I gave that impression. There is a list of what is allowed in the rules. There was a discussion on this a while back and that is when the rules were clarified.I personally do edit photos on other forums but its up to members on here to agree on what is acceptable here and the rules are now clear on this.
Sue

mumrar

Established Member
I dont think all processing is banned. I am sorry if I gave that impression. There is a list of what is allowed in the rules. There was a discussion on this a while back and that is when the rules were clarified.I personally do edit photos on other forums but its up to members on here to agree on what is acceptable here and the rules are now clear on this.
Sue

Well either way my entry is out, for revealing who 'painted' it or for the processing I did so the details are trivial.

Established Member
but we don't get pub football teams saying top level players should be banned because they eat well and train full time.

No, but they don't compete against each other.

The point is that this is a photo competition, not a competition to see who can edit their photos the best.
To use your example, if we put a professional football team up against a pub football team, it's not exactly a fair competition is it?

dan_atki

Established Member
OK, entry 07 is hereby disqualified from competition 320.

As per the rules, mumrar you may not upload an entry to 321, but you may enter 322. I appreciate your honesty on the matter.

The poll will remain as is, with anybody having voted for number 7 given the chance to change their vote - please PM me if you voted for 7 but would like to change.

The winner of 320 will be declared to be the entry with the most votes, excluding 07.

Ferret

Established Member
Hmm - I failed dismally to enter this weeks competition - must be getting forgetful in my old age! Wassock!

I have just one observation regarding the editing of shots which isn't intended to undermine the decision of the administrator or the decision that has been taken but more as a thought-provoking statement - it's impossible to turn a poor shot into a clasic with photoshop! That said, I fully respect the rules of the competition.

Last edited:

dan_atki

Established Member
I have just one observation regarding the editing of shots which isn't intended to undermine the decision of the administrator or the decision that has been taken but more as a thought-provoking statement - it's impossible to turn a poor shot into a clasic with photoshop! That said, I fully respect the rules of the competition.

Rather than having the discussion again, I'll refer you to the thread which occurred when a photo had OHLE Photoshopped out, and consequently won the competition: http://www.railforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22143, particularly posts 21-23.

Me and Jordy had a discussion about how things should go and it was decided that a change in the rules to make a blanket ban forbidding such edits would suffice. A blanket ban was made so we didn't have the discussion of what edits are/aren't appropriate in peoples' eyes - we wouldn't get anywhere!

As mentioned in the above thread, if you have ideas or criticisms of the competition then please let Jordy know (he is the one in charge of this, albeit being unavailable for the last few Sundays) and they'll be taken on board.

Ferret

Established Member
No worries Dan - from what I've read it's difficult for you as the competition administrators to know where to draw the line in the sand!!!! I guess you'll never please everyone whatever you do!!!!:lol:

mumrar

Established Member
Ok, got the info on the ban from this and next comp understood. Gonna be interesting to see who wins now. It's not sour grapes, I'm bigger than that, but we now have a decent heritage photo from a bygone fighting it out with 6 poor quality shots. I'm still amazed this is all that got entered to a free for all.

Richmond

Just a quick question, can professional photographers still submit photographs? As it was mentioned earlier that pro football teams aren't playing in the same league as pub teams.

dan_atki

Established Member
Just a quick question, can professional photographers still submit photographs? As it was mentioned earlier that pro football teams aren't playing in the same league as pub teams.

Yes, they may :). Just be aware, however, anything other than basic editting of images (cropping, contrast, brightness and saturation, and sharpness) is forbidden as per the rules.

It was brought up in the thread linked to above about a two tiered competition. It will be discussed again as to whether this should go ahead to make things fairer all round.

eezypeazy

As someone who voted for Number 7, I don't wish to vote for anything else this week, thank you.

But if I could pick up on an earlier point in this thread, it would be useful to those of us who want to improve our skills if we might learn from Mumrar exactly how he processed the photograph. So, Mumrar, could you possibly show us the original, and show us how you enhanced it?

Kind regards

eezypeazy

minette

Personally I like the idea that amateurs like myself are up against professionals - it gives me something to aim for, and ideas on how to (hopefully) improve. The only problem I was having with the "chocolate box" look is the amount of time it takes on the computer - and it's then no longer a photograph to me. I would however be very interested to know how some of the effects are come by - and I'd love to see the original, straight from the camera, version of your shot mumrar. I bet you'd have stood a good chance without the editing as well!

GB

Established Member
Ok, got the info on the ban from this and next comp understood. Gonna be interesting to see who wins now. It's not sour grapes, I'm bigger than that, but we now have a decent heritage photo from a bygone fighting it out with 6 poor quality shots. I'm still amazed this is all that got entered to a free for all.

Dont be so disrespectfull: Given the broad range of users, abilities and equipment...not to mention possible geographic, time or era constraints, not all shots are going to be picture perfect. It sometimes feels like if you dont enter something either from "days gone by" or steam then it is deemed not worthy.

If you dont like a picture that is fine...but instead of issuing blanket comments like that why not offer constructive critism?

This competion has got very political lately and when I do sometime decide to enter I wonder why I bother :roll:

mumrar

Established Member
I shall demonstrate some basics on a different thread. Having read the rules, I can confirm I did no editing other than the allowed processing and the import from RAW which has to be done. So my mouth got me disqualified for revealing my photo :oops: I mean no ill to the moderators or any of the other entries to this competition, but it seems that the photographers here are split in two. There are those who will think, pre plan and do their best to capture a great moment (as I feel I try) and there are the people who do not pursue it as a serious hobby but like to record events. Sadly there are the people who span between the two and seem to resent the ones who try. I hope I've got this wrong, but some of the stuff that followed lady_sue's original comments seemed to confirm this

Dennis

Established Member
Surely if you think a photo looks over-processed, you don't vote for it; that was certainly the case for me this week and the 'offending' shot.

devon_metro

Established Member
I like 7, the rest aren't spectacular and through my eyes it wouldn't be extraordinary. Perhaps through my camera however a little bit of editing never hurt anybody unless stuff is being removed. Ah well that's the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.