• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 408 :: Class 32X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

Well, I can't say I agree! I do wish people could come up with slightly broader categories than the last two.

EltonRoad

Because restricting it to Freightliner trains then a specific class of train narrows it down too much. I don't have access to either of these types of train but I do have a collection of railway photos which I'm quite keen to pick from and enter. Previously there have been categories like "Your most colourful shot". Broader categories may also give rise to a better standard of entries.

GB

Established Member
Then you will have to wait untill the theme fits what you have.... short of having a "free for all" every week you (and others) will have to reside your self to not being able to enter every comp.

And to be fair, Freightliner isnt too restrictive considering they have a large network coverage.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Then you will have to wait untill the theme fits what you have.... short of having a "free for all" every week you (and others) will have to reside your self to not being able to enter every comp.

And to be fair, Freightliner isnt too restrictive considering they have a large network coverage.

Nor is Class 32x given that they run in the South, Midlands, North West, Yorkshire and Scotland, and have been around for 20 years. It seems some people have a very limited number of pictures of their own, but still expect to be able to enter every competition.

almark

Freightliner last week was ok,a really quite broad area,but some EMU like these...come on,next it will be Wickham trolleys!

GB

Established Member
I dont see whats so bad about it. Certainly better than "steam" or "Rail Tours" an no worse than a lot of other themes.

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
I think this theme, and people perceptions of it's limitations, says more about what we choose to photograph, rather than what's about. This theme represents a total of 202 units, that have been around for 20 years in most cases.

Lampshade

Established Member
It's no worse than some past competitions such as Class 50, which requires knowledge of heritage railways and being able to reasonably get there, or having archive photos from when they were operational. Remember Class 40? No one entered that and was cancelled. In many ways we're spoilt for choice this week, these four classes run all around the country with a variety of scenery in a variety of liveries, hardly restrictive.

Ferret

Established Member
Haven't we covered this before?! Just accept that you won't be able to enter every competion - any time somebody selects something along the lines of railway infrastructure/buildings that pretty much guarantees I'm out of the game. Oh well, I'm over it!

GB

Established Member
any time somebody selects something along the lines of railway infrastructure/buildings that pretty much guarantees I'm out of the game

Hows that then? Do trains not run on infrastructure where you are then?:p;)

Ferret

Established Member
Hows that then? Do trains not run on infrastructure where you are then?:p;)

LOL! They just float on by - like the old BHX Maglev!:lol: You get my drift though - photographing railway buildings just isn't my thing!

almark

Couldn't care less if i'm in or out of it,but at least the infrastructure gives a chance for people to really get some nice shots,don't understand how one complain about this compared to a class 50 gallery,i don't have photos of 32X's,or at least not any decent ones,why? Because i don't want to,which means i don't enter,perfectly simple. The thing that makes me laugh is these people who upload out of focus,over exposed and blurry images,i mean seriously,what's the point,its obvious someone is going to post a better fot anyway,its not essential to enter the competition,hardly any have suited my collection recently,which means i've simply not entered,having said that,a few people have moved away from this forum it would seem,and generally that somehow seems to have stopped the flow of most the poor photos!

I know i'm liable to get shot down for saying that,because its probably not fair,everyone has a right to enter,nothing noone can do about it,just wish some people would think about what they consider to be an image worthy of a competition,not worth pointing the finger,as there isn't just one culprit,hell,my own website was full of crap photos for about 2 years!

Having said that,bar a couple of images there were some real crackers last week.

Last edited:

Ferret

Established Member
Almark, what gives you the impression I was complaining about a buildings/infrastructure competition?! Like I said - it only means I can't enter! Like I said - I'm oveer it! Just because one can't enter a competition does not mean the world is ending!

As for the class 50 comp, that was one I chose. Remind me, how long have 50s been around, both on the mainline and in preservation?! Have we got to get to the stage where each week is a free for all just to stop people suggesting that the category is too restrictive?

Established Member
The thing that makes me laugh is these people who upload out of focus,over exposed and blurry images,i mean seriously,what's the point,its obvious someone is going to post a better fot anyway

Not necessarily. What about the one which got cancelled because there were no entries? ;)
A crappy shot would've won by default :lol:

almark

Almark, what gives you the impression I was complaining about a buildings/infrastructure competition?! Like I said - it only means I can't enter! Like I said - I'm oveer it! Just because one can't enter a competition does not mean the world is ending!

As for the class 50 comp, that was one I chose. Remind me, how long have 50s been around, both on the mainline and in preservation?! Have we got to get to the stage where each week is a free for all just to stop people suggesting that the category is too restrictive?

I don't see anywhere in my post i mentioned you,in fact,i credited the infrastructure subject as it brought some creative shots,and something different,rather than a boring old day to day unit!

Established Member
in fact,i credited the infrastructure subject as it brought some creative shots

That was mine, not his ;)

rather than a boring old day to day unit!

As is this one :D

And since it's day to day, then surely the challenge is to use your abilities to get the best photo you can of something average, and outdoing other's attempts.
Tbh, I think my chances of winning are pretty low, simply because there are a lot on here with a hell of a lot more talent and ability than me.

Lampshade

Established Member
And since it's day to day, then surely the challenge is to use your abilities to get the best photo you can of something average, and outdoing other's attempts.
Tbh, I think my chances of winning are pretty low, simply because there are a lot on here with a hell of a lot more talent and ability than me.

Seconded :)

I am quite annoyed though, I was out last week (to get a shot for last week's competition, oddly enough), I took a picture of a 323 while waiting and thought "oh if only it was this theme this week". The picture looked fantastic on the camera screen but when I got home and downloaded it, it was all blurred as the camera had switched itself into night mode without me knowing :(

The weather's absolutely abysmal this week :(

Ivo

Established Member
I finally bought a camera! :D So, if I see a 323 at New Street (or similar) on Saturday, I shall be making a point of entering the competition. Can you upload it directly from camera (via laptop/desktop obviously) to the competition gallery, without having to dump it on some other random website first?

P.S.: If anyone sees a 6'1" Aspie with glasses and dark hair looking clueless with a camera in Birmingham on Saturday, help would be appreciated...! :p

mumrar

Established Member
Ivo, ideally you'd reduce the image size to something around 1024px across, otherwise you're just going to be uploading a massive file for no reason.
PS, if you're there at around lunch time I'll be getting in at 12:33 for a 13:03 book on, so I can give a little assistance.

Ivo

Established Member
Ivo, ideally you'd reduce the image size to something around 1024px across, otherwise you're just going to be uploading a massive file for no reason.
PS, if you're there at around lunch time I'll be getting in at 12:33 for a 13:03 book on, so I can give a little assistance.

Okay, thank you for the advice. But I must admit that I will not be on any station at that time. I should get to New Street at about 11:30, but I'll have to leave immediately. My best chance would be to head somewhere local - your area, Walsall, something like that - and try there in the evening. But thank you anyway :)

Ivo

Established Member
Just for an update, I have entered this competition, though I shall say nothing about my entry (apart from it being a 32x of course!). So no sympathy voting! Now to get the fully expected (and most likely justified...) zero votes, and for everyone to jump on to the 91107 bandwagon. If his is best anyway!

...Yes, I know. Pointless post. But I thought I'd say as much just in case anyone questions whether I actually bothered/succeeded or not. And no, it wasn't done at New Street. I just wonder if my previous post will suggest which is mine... Whoops. Aw, well!

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Just for an update, I have entered this competition, though I shall say nothing about my entry (apart from it being a 32x of course!). So no sympathy voting! Now to get the fully expected (and most likely justified...) zero votes, and for everyone to jump on to the 91107 bandwagon. If his is best anyway!

...Yes, I know. Pointless post. But I thought I'd say as much just in case anyone questions whether I actually bothered/succeeded or not. And no, it wasn't done at New Street. I just wonder if my previous post will suggest which is mine... Whoops. Aw, well!
No you didn't do shoot at New Street - I bet (£0.00) that it was at a stop on the local routes like Five Ways or Aston alike.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.