• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 523 (Junctions) :: Voting

Votes: 6 12.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 5 10.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 12 24.0%

Votes: 17 34.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EltonRoad

I'm not that keen on editing my images either. The most I ever do is minor changes to brightness, contrast, colour sat. These days the first thing I notice when looking at photos in rail mags for example is whether they've been processed. Seems a very common thing is for steam trains taken in sunlight with shade down one side to have the whole photo with decreased contrast. Then it looks more like a painting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

willig

I agree. There is far too much noticeably poor quality post-processing in magazine photos these days. Half the time it's because the photographer uses the Shadow/Highlights tool in Photoshop instead of doing it properly, by using layers or shooting RAW.

Mind you, even Photoshop can't make a bad photo into a good one, only a less bad one!

EltonRoad

Just had an idea to improve the comp - how about supplying some of the camera settings in the caption, for example:

---

1430 from Blackpool North passes Poulton Junction on 1st June 2011. 1/750 sec @ f11, ISO 400

---

Not compulsory, but certainly for me would give added interest and potential learning points.

K9-70

I agree. There is far too much noticeably poor quality post-processing in magazine photos these days. Half the time it's because the photographer uses the Shadow/Highlights tool in Photoshop instead of doing it properly, by using layers or shooting RAW.

Mind you, even Photoshop can't make a bad photo into a good one, only a less bad one!

Interesting comment, but can you prove it ?

I know that any images I've been asked to supply for possible publication in mainstream newspapers/magazines, must be taken straight from the camera without any processing, colour adjustment, croping, sharpening etc of any sort.

Any adjustments needed to be done to the image, will be done by the photo editor before being submitted for publication.

K9-70

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I had a quick look at the Rule of thirds page linked to by sellis89. There wasn't enough time to give it a super careful read, as I had to attend to a problem in the kitchen. If I get time later, I'll have another look, however I don't see why they call it the rule of thirds personally. From what I read and saw, it was more the Rule Of Ninths. Clearly I'm getting a bit confused.

As for Elton Road's suggestion of including things such as the ISO in the caption, I believe it would over-complicate things and possibly put some people off entering. The POTW competition isn't for any prizes or deadly serious in my eyes, it's more for fun I think. Having to include technical details with an entry detracts from that somewhat. Worth putting to a vote though?

Composition is more important for me, and I do try to put it into consideration when I'm out on the rails. Like I tried with this shot I got last week - http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/43019/Daytripper 13th June 2011/DSCN5803.jpg - unlike this one which is more of a record shot - http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/43019/Daytripper 13th June 2011/DSCN5791.jpg

Always quite difficult to judge what will make a good photograph to other people, indeed not knowing what factors other people will use to judge a photo makes it quite challenging. Still, at least with modern technology we have the chance to practice, experiment and learn the art of photography without the horrific cost of 35mm film!

EltonRoad

I didn't say it was compulsory.

There is quite a range of talent entering the competition, and I don't think it would put people off entering. But it definitely would add more interest and provide for debate. Optional if you want to provide the info, but I for one would like to see it.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I wasn't suggesting you said it was complusory, although I agree there is a variety of talent that enters the competition.

Prodigy

Some people entering I'm sure are entering on a normal Digital Camera, my camera is a cross from a digital to a full DSLR but I can't change the lens or have manual focus or anything like that....so obviously those who have standard cameras may feel slightly disadvantaged over those with 500£ + worth of equipment.

EltonRoad

No need to feel disadvantaged! If you've got the info available, and are happy to, then enter it, otherwise don't. There will be some photos with the info appended and some without. Having it on the caption is simply a bonus and shouldn't affect voting, but will provide an extra interest factor to those who are conversant with it.

At the end of the day, if it's the best photo it will win, regardless of the caption.

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats to MattE2010

thumb_IMG_7051.JPG

01 - Railfreight 90
02 - EltonRoad
03 - Techniquest
04 - willg
05 - windoze11
06 - curly42
07 - 180113thomas
08 - sellis89
09 - MattE2010
10 - K9-70
11 - fgwrich
12 - sprinterguy

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
GET IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Number 9 is an excellent piece of composition in my humble opinion, and a very tidy shot to boot, so I'm voting for that one. Numbers 1 and 11 also caught my eye, so well done to whoevers' entries they are as well.

9 for me. Liked 6 and 4 also.

9 for me too. Colours and clarity are very nice

9 wins for me

Another vote for #9 :D

Many thanks to the above and the other twelve who vted for me!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Yes, I am very pleased with this victory, well done to everyone else though!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Well done MattE2010, and congratulations on a well deserved victory!

Additionally, thank you very much to the three people who voted for my entry: I was never expecting much from my photo, but felt that I wanted to enter something in this competition, so I'm chuffed to have a share of the votes.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It was a very good photograph. Well done!

No it wasn't, didn't you see that I cut off the top of the signal box, showed too much of the junction, left too much foliage on the right, and was leaning left when I took it???

Just kidding, thanks ;) :smile:

GB

Established Member
I like the idea of having some of the exif data available. It would allow users to study the more advanced photographers to see what settings they use for a particular shot, location or environment etc etc.

Congrats to Matt btw!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations Matt, a deserved victory! I look forward to viewing your choice of theme shortly.

As for the exif data thing, if it's entirely voluntary then go for it. Doing things like changing the ISO on my Nikon Coolpix L10 isn't exactly possible AFAIK, much like a lot of other things, so I won't be able to take advantage of that sort of thing. Still, if I get around to it, I'll see about finding the EXIF data for my next POTW entry.

Crossover

Established Member
Congratulations to Matt - nice picture :)

Looks like people preferred a 323/Voyager over an APT at Crewe :P

HST Power

Established Member
Congratulations to Matt.

It was a tricky choice this week. I couldn't pick between 6 or 9, but I'm glad that one of them got the victory! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.