• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 613 (Class 70s) :: Voting

Votes: 3 8.8%

Votes: 5 14.7%

Votes: 5 14.7%

Votes: 6 17.6%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 2 5.9%

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grantham

Seriously, how can the country that produced the world's most beautiful steam engines have fallen to operating the ugliest diesel electric locomotives in the whole universe? The old boys (Gresley, Churchward, Stirling et al) must be turning in their graves! :-x

Number two has my vote, keep up the good work, mate! ;)

stuartmoss

My Dad told me that in days of old, designs put fourth for new trains had to be aesthetically pleasing and went before a panel for approval based on their appearance (not just that obviously). He also moaned about them being given the number 70 as this was meant to be reserved for electrics or something like that.

I think class 70s look like they are based upon a kiddies tonka toy train set. But at least they make a bit of difference on our fairly homogenous diesels.

CC 72100

Established Member
I also found the caption for number 2 amusing, although that may not necesarily be the one I vote for...

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats to matt

thumb_IMG_6677.JPG

01 - stuartmoss
02 - eastwestdivide
03 - scoope
04 - Harbon 1
05 - steve 46010
06 - Crossover
07 - matt

The next competition will start tomorrow once the late running preceding one has finished :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
My Dad told me that in days of old, designs put fourth for new trains had to be aesthetically pleasing and went before a panel for approval based on their appearance (not just that obviously). He also moaned about them being given the number 70 as this was meant to be reserved for electrics or something like that.
The British Transport Commission set up a design panel in 1956 to aid and improve the appearance of the modernisation plan diesel locos and units that were being designed and introduced at that time in order to avoid the new diesels looking purely like ugly bricks. They were responsible for the aesthetic design of the Hymeks, Westerns and 47s, amongst others, and also had input into liveries (The white stripes used to break up the BR brunswick green on various loco classes was one of their suggestions IIRC) and cab design.

The class 70-79 number series has historically been the preserve of, and dedicated to, DC electric locos, principally third rail electric contraptions but also the Woodhead class 76s and 77s. The class 70 designation has already been used before for three SR electrics, although they didn't survive long enough to actually have TOPS numbers applied. I think that the problem is that a alot of numbers in the 60-69 series where the class 70 would more naturally sit have already been taken up by EMU stock carriage numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.