• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 621 :: Arty Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I think you will probably find there is no exact definition. As usual its down to interpretation but I'd say think outside the box. Unusual angles, reflections, abstract etc etc.

EltonRoad

If you enter a photo and call it art, who's to argue? :)

I set this - I was thinking along the lines of creativity. Unusual angles, backdrops, black and white, creative lighting, anything like that.

Edit - and what GB says.

stuartmoss

Ignore this, i was reporting an error that has rectified itself.

Last edited:

NY Yankee

I don't really have any artsy shots since I tend to focus on substance over style, but there's no harm in entering a competition.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Is it worth reminding people of the rule:
"The only form of editing allowed is simple retouching"
or can this be suspended for this week only?

stuartmoss

I have entered one, which I obviously can't describe, but I thought it was quite a lovely effective shot - I had it as my desktop background for a while. I doubt it will win, but I felt that this was the right competition for it.

stuartmoss

To be honest I'm against relaxing rules that allow 'enhancements', it would disadvantage us luddites who haven't got the foggiest about things like that.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
To be honest I'm against relaxing rules that allow 'enhancements', it would disadvantage us luddites who haven't got the foggiest about things like that.

Yes, I'm not bothered either way, as you can be creative and arty before you take the shot as well as after, so perhaps we can assume the rule is still in force unless there's an 'official' announcement.

TGV

You don't need photoshop or that bloody instagram thing to be "arty". Just learn how to use the aperture, shutter speed, framing and exposure. Just like we always did before digital came along.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Well I don't generally take arty shots of trains (save for plenty of black and white stuff), but I've found something I personally really like, would expect some great stuff for this competition though.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
You don't need photoshop or that bloody instagram thing to be "arty". Just learn how to use the aperture, shutter speed, framing and exposure. Just like we always did before digital came along.

To be fair, there was always the option of post-processing with film, it's just that digital has made that more accessible to more people, and it also makes available more options.
But yes, the art comes from the ideas and imagination of the photographer, whichever tools you choose to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.