• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 623 (Funny signs) :: Voting

Votes: 14 35.9%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 2 5.1%

Votes: 1 2.6%

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
I should have entered this, I have a photo directing people to the London overground... Downstairs into a tunnel :)

Ivo

Established Member
Edit: Please note that due to an administrative error, there is no Photo 01 this week.

Are you sure the omission of #1 wasn't intentional? :p

To be honest though, I think this set could have been better. That's not to say that the selection is inadequate - and I think that #2 and #3 are the top two, although I question where exactly #3 came frome - it looks like it could have come from anywhere and not just the railways. Therefore, the bad guys of Stamford Hill have just won the photter a vote.

My only photo that matches the criterion would have been no better though - it's blurry for one thing...

Ivo

Established Member
I don't get 6.

The idea with #6 is that most trains don't usually stop at Culham on what is actually a pretty busy route (London to Oxford - roughly one train every two hours stops there), so it stands out. It's a bit odd the first time you see it, but - I have to be honest - there's nothing actually "funny" about it.

Eagle

Established Member
I'm guessing the deal with 8 is a) the system is regarding Crediton as two stations, a NR one and a Dartmoor Rly one and b) it doesn't have "Sampford Courtenay" in its system (presumably because it reopened much later than Okehampton).

I saw a similar thing at New Street, where a service to Bridgnorth was calling (can't remember why; it was a 150)—the boards totally messed that one up too.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I saw a similar thing at New Street, where a service to Bridgnorth was calling (can't remember why; it was a 150)—the boards totally messed that one up too.

I expect that was the LM 150 farewell, where the tour visited the Severn Valley Railway.

Grantham

Must admit I liked the rodent poster best of what's there, good for a laugh and a vote.

Couldn't find a funny sign to put in, except for one that I've already posted, so I'll sit this one out.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Four was funny too, chickens are funny birds. ;)

Crossover

Established Member
The entries this week were what I expected to be honest. I'm not sure such a topic necessarily lends itself to the more artistic shots, but there are some interesting ones.

3 is a bit vague and, if I'm honest, looks like something from the Internet, but maybe it has just been well cropped.

I have also seen a similar situation to #9 at Banbury before a few years ago (though I tried taking a picture, the refresh rate on the LED displays meant the camera captured none of the text!) as there was a Chiltern service advertised, stating on time but running late. At the time it was timetabled, a freight arrived and stopped to change crew. So there you had the xx:xx to Birmingham, with the time as the same as xx:xx and a load of empty flat container cars - some may consider it an upgrade, mind (or is that if it's an XC? :P)

HST Power

Established Member
If only 06 had been accompanied by a little star next to Culham, and then font size two writing at the bottom of the poster saying 'You might want to think twice!' (nothing against Culham by the way!) ;)

02 gets my vote!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Number 10, as it is pleasing to see that the old tradition of peeling the number "7" digit off the Max Speed notice on Pacers is still going strong :)

LadyDeltic

Close call between 02 and 10, but I went for the former in the end.
Good luck to all the entrants. :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm guessing the deal with 8 is a) the system is regarding Crediton as two stations, a NR one and a Dartmoor Rly one and b) it doesn't have "Sampford Courtenay" in its system (presumably because it reopened much later than Okehampton).

There was a post about this a while ago. The deal was that Sampford Courtenay is not in the National Rail system database so it was decided that Crediton would be displayed twice instead, making up the correct number of stops.

Of course when looked at literally, it has some unintended meanings.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
When we get to find out who the person who posted number 3 is (not that it's obvious or anything) I'd like to know whether they drew it in Paint or whether it's actually a sign from somewhere.

Ivo

Established Member
Although I can't find any evidence of such a rule, it always used to be the case that entrants were not permitted to show which photo was theirs in any way. Picture #3 can be found in one member's signature.

Jordy

Established Member
Congrats to atomicdanny (and also to bb21 for creating the first ever POTW with no number 01! :P)

thumb_NC01615_-_SH_-_This_Station_is_Protected_by_Criminals.jpg

02 - atomicdanny
03 - swj99
04 - eastwestdivide
05 - stuartmoss
06 - Temple Meads
07 - NY Yankee
08 - AdamW
09 - MattE2010
10 - Crossover

atomicdanny

Wow i honestly never expected to win (thanks to those who voted for me!) so didn't include a next weeks topic, if its not too late can i ask for Network South East ?

edit - nevermind I guess i was too late oh well nevermind better luck next time i guess :)

Crossover

Established Member
Well done atomicdanny :)

Also many thanks to the people who voted for my shot - I believe that is a new PB for me in POTW :)

The shot was taken last summer while we were reversing at Castleford (on a Leeds - Knottingley service IIRC) - I noticed it as the driver came out of the cab and decided a picture had to be taken :P

P.S. I'm intrigued as to where #3 was taken

Status
Not open for further replies.