• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 626 :: DMUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
What is the highest ever number of entries in any one POTW competition? I suspect we may have a new record come next Sunday...

Grantham

Do HSTs count? ;)

Ok, I suspect I'm coming in at the tail end of an "in" joke, but do HST's count as diesel multiple units?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And I assume DMU is small passenger trains, not diesel electric locomotives in multiple unit.

Hmmm.

Temple Meads

Established Member
Ok, I suspect I'm coming in at the tail end of an "in" joke, but do HST's count as diesel multiple units?

Well, that isn't the easiest question to answer, and indeed, the answer will differ from person to person.

They were classified as DMU's to start with, but the power cars (Class 43's) were then classified as locomotives.

Personally I'd say they aren't DMU's, but then, like I said, others will think the exact opposite :lol:

Buffer68

Hurray, I have lots to choose from for a change!

And I don't think that HSTs come under DMU. In the Platform 5 book, they are in the loco section.

Grantham

Ahh...I detect some controversy! I won't post a HST photo then, but for your entertainment I'll share one here: Our XPTs are very nearly a direct copy of your HST125s (or whatever they are/were). For what it's worth (not much!) I would have counted these as a DMU...

I'll post something different in the comp.

TGV

On the subject of HST: They are class 43. That's a locomotive. They never run in multiple. They are not a true fixed formation....

The evidence doesn't support the term Multiple *UNIT*. The old TOPS code is long obsolete and doesn't fit with the current practice.

I'm no judge or jury, but I'd be wary of accepting an HST pic under the terms of DMU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.