• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great British Railways - Competition for new location of GBR Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
It rather depends on if the people choosing are the civil servants expected to move.

If yes, the shortlist probably won’t be some grimy ex Industrial town, but somewhere pretty with access to a City with big shops. More like Chester, The Gower, Devon coast etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Wakefield.

Red wall Tory gain. Fast train to London.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Where do most of the staff who work for the organisations that will form the core of the GBR staff live and work? How many will up sticks and move if the new HQ is beyond reasonable commuting distance?

If a significant number of experienced staff decide not to move then you immediately have an organisation struggling to manage its commitments (I'm sure that many of you will have examples of that happening in the past). That wouldn't be a good start for the bright new railway.

Most of NRs central functions / HQ people are in MK and Manchester; very few in London. TOC people are where the franchises are, ie all over the country (obviously). DfT and RDG people are mostly in London.

Although in reality, the competition is going to be to find the town or city that most people will call their office base whilst working at home.

matacaster

On Moderation
I nominate Bradford on the basis that as NPR will almost certainly be going via Huddersfield, a sop is needed. However, in fairness hardly anyone would want to relocate to Bradford, so staffing costs would be minimal.

dgl

Established Member
It's the Government so the chances are it will be somewhere with no railway links at all :D

Veteran Member
I nominate Bradford on the basis that as NPR will almost certainly be going via Huddersfield, a sop is needed. However, in fairness hardly anyone would want to relocate to Bradford, so staffing costs would be minimal.
They could do a lot worse :)

However, the Dept of Health is already at Leeds, which rather rules out West Yorks generally I fear.

York would please Sir Humphrey, perhaps :)

Andrew1395

I reckon the ops base will stay at Milton Keynes, after all Wolverton has a long railway history! My bet would be to put a £ on the GBR corporate HQ ending up at Derby, with the Chairpersons office in the City of London.

Derby is at the heart of all those marginal Tory seats across the old Derbyshire/Notts coal field. Within easy reach of big pools of workers in Nottingham, with three big universities on its doorstep, and still with strong links to the manufacturing base that supports the industry.

Anywhere away from London and its honeypot will suit me
Quite right, Watford is the perfect location. A railway town since 1837. Years before York, Doncaster

SteveM70

Established Member
Stevenage

Shapps’ constituency isn’t it? But the decision won’t be made by him (as per Honest Bob Jenrick and Jake Berry’s mutual back scratching)

CeeJ

Toton perhaps? Or is that leg of HS2 not that popular these days...

I know they're talking out of London (and presumably moving Civil Servants out of Horseferry Road), but I thought Network Rail also had a large base outside Euston Station?

The cynic in me suggests Edinburgh.
They do have a very new and shiny Government office 10 minutes' walk from Waverley.

tbtc

Veteran Member
How much of this is "Civil Servants leaving central London" and how much is "jobs that were done by TOCs"?

The reason I ask is that Shapps is a pretty savvy PR operator (a horrible politician, but a darn sight sharper than most), and the idea of floating the prospect of lots of highly paid jobs coming to a new constituency will firstly enthuse a lot of Tories at the Conference (the prospect that your local town could attract high calibre jobs like the ones promised to Darlington/ Wolverhampton etc will put a spring in the step of new MPs and party activists), and secondly will distract from the recent news that "levelling up" seems to have created a lot more civil service jobs *in* London - e.g. https://www.ft.com/content/b6d1947d-d1bb-4c22-ab41-b603448bc625

The number of civil servants working in London rose significantly more than elsewhere in the past year despite Conservative ministers’ pledges to shift Whitehall jobs out of the capital as part of their “levelling up” agenda. UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson in 2019 signalled that he would move thousands of officials to the regions to spread wealth across the country and in October 2020 indicated that even ministers and their private offices might move to “the great cities of the North”. Meanwhile, in March 2020 chancellor Rishi Sunak announced plans to move 22,000 civil servants out of central London by 2030 to help ensure “government will make decisions different in future”. But official figures show the opposite is occurring. The civil service headcount in London grew 11 per cent from 91,660 to 101,930 in the year to March 2021, more than double the rate in the rest of the country.

So this could be one of those stories that comes to "nothing" but will be a good way of diverting attention away from the fact that the rhetoric of sharing the wealth around the country is actually just creating more jobs in central London?

Obviously the new railway will need to have a different set up, a number of jobs that were done by TOCs will presumably now be done "centrally", I just feel that this is more about short term opportunism than actual details about the new railway

I don't think that the Tories have decided what they want the new railway to actually be, they seem to be fudging their way through it, I think it's far too early for the kind of things being discussed on this thread - but I'd put my fiver on Darlington, given the way that the town combines "railway heritage" with "fast trains back to London" and "flavour of the month political climate given the huge investments being sanctioned in the Tees Valley - the kind of thing that would be Wasteful Public Spending if Labour were doing it, but it's fine when it's a Tory Mayor spaffing money around"!

They could do a lot worse :)

However, the Dept of Health is already at Leeds, which rather rules out West Yorks generally I fear.

York would please Sir Humphrey, perhaps :)

Channel 4's "HQ" is moving to Leeds (another quasi-public organisation), but I don't know if this means West Yorkshire would be more or less likely as the notional location of some railway jobs

Can anyone offer a price on Carlisle? :)

Our local MP has been very vocal in his beliefs that more Dept’s should be ‘de-Londonised’ (is that a word?!), indeed Mr Shapps was briefed as such by Mr Stevenson just over a year ago!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I know they're talking out of London (and presumably moving Civil Servants out of Horseferry Road), but I thought Network Rail also had a large base outside Euston Station?

Not any more. There’s a small base there - about 100 desks - that’s it.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Where do DfT already have offices, and where will they unduly relocate it to pretend to level up?

Answer: Leeds and Birmingham.

Leeds because it will be a fudge when HS2 doesn’t go there; Brum because HS2 goes there. Choose either.

I did consider Darlington much like the treasury stuff with Sunak’s pork barrel politics but no, doubt that.

BrianW

Established Member
Doncaster.. Located in the white elephant High Speed Rail College building.
I'm with that- Donnie should have had the NRM. York already has walls, a fine Minster, nice places for civil servants to live. Don Valley red walls ....

Or maybe Welwyn's well in- a fine viaduct, a fine Minister (!), a bit like Chesham and Amersham ... ?

thenorthern

Established Member
It will almost certainly be in England and in a relatively large city.

Part of me thinks it could be in Stoke-on-Trent given that the city now has 3 Conservative MPs which the party wants to hold onto.

al green

MK is (strictly speaking contains) a historic railway town (Wolverton). Two if you include Bletchley.

I think the Quadrant is owned by NR. It was certainly NR who got the planning permission. I was involved in submitting comments on the planning application. The building is less than 10 years old and was built for that purpose. It would be madness to move the Network Control Centre elsewhere and that needs to be in the HQ.

Andrew1395

Where do DfT already have offices, and where will they unduly relocate it to pretend to level up?

Answer: Leeds and Birmingham.

Leeds because it will be a fudge when HS2 doesn’t go there; Brum because HS2 goes there. Choose either.

I did consider Darlington much like the treasury stuff with Sunak’s pork barrel politics but no, doubt that.
Surely most DfT civil servant posts won’t be needed in GBR? Part of the purpose is to streamline decision making, withdrawing layers of oversight and contractual management.

i would think most jobs subject to TUPE to GBR will be within TOCs, Network Rail, Rail Delivery Group. Possibly overtime in third party suppliers who deliver services like IT systems to both TOCs and Network Rail. But very few civil servants.

someone will also point out the impact of a mass relocation. Network Rail suffered when functions went from regional locations to Milton Keynes. So these things need to be managed very well.

When the TDA quango was relocated to Nottingham, they spent a fortune on relocation expenses for key personnel. In the end it got abolished, but that is irrelevant, but relocating essential activities is fraught with short term costs.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Swindon has a tower block next to it which I understand is about to be refurbished for railway use again.
Why are towns and city's having to bid for this, can't the government make their own mind up?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Swindon has a tower block next to it which I understand is about to be refurbished for railway use again.
Why are towns and city's having to bid for this, can't the government make their own mind up?
By making them bid for it, it exonerates the government from effectively “deciding”, as it looks for all intents and purposes like a transparent choice.

AND it simultaneously allows local areas to say what they’ll do for free to get such a thing stuck in their patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.