• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition heats up between Transdev and Connexions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lejog

Established Member
The 500 was subsidised from deregulation with Keighley's 1 and Firsts 2-3 buses on certain days of the week. When Metro tendered it as an hourly daily service, dropping the Hebden Bridge to Todmorden section, Keighley won easily as they could simply extend their largely commercial 663, requiring only 1 additional bus whereas First would need 2 to run it.

The B3 is no longer noted as receiving a subsidy.

http://www.wymetro.com/uploadedFile...ravel/maps_and_guides/Bradford_Freq_Panel.pdf

I hardly think a list of Bradford bus services is a definitive source, especially when the Calderdale equivalent lists the B3 as being a Metro subsidised service! Given that the service still received a six figure subsidy in 2014, I doubt very much that it has totally disappeared yet, although as you suggest the subsidy only applies Oxenhope to Hebden Bridge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bayum

Established Member
Aah ok. I'm from Tadcaster but didn't realise it served Fishers. From primary schools here I would say from those who didn't go tonTad Grammar it was split 50/50 between All Saints in York and John Fishers. I wonder if there's a Vamooz market if it started from Tadcaster and not Bramham

You live in Tadcaster, but failed to envisage the number of children who have Aidans and Fishers as their preferred secondary due to religion? There are two Catholic schools in the area, along with a number of CofE schools also.

96tommy

You live in Tadcaster, but failed to envisage the number of children who have Aidans and Fishers as their preferred secondary due to religion? There are two Catholic schools in the area, along with a number of CofE schools also.

Anfewnofnky friends went to Catholic primary schools in and around Tad but I remember none of them going to Aidan's. Only Fishers and All Saints

SCH117X

Established Member
Think a lot is down to people being able to choose a school rather than going to the one round the corner. The amount of interurban school journeys is IMO crazy as a result. I realise some is down to religious and local education policies - Ripon for example still having two tier secondary secondary so those who disagree send their children elsewhere but even then its IMO exceesively split up between schools at Pateley Bridge, Harrogate and Boroughbridge. It would interesting if someone put together the carbon footprint created by school journeys not to the nearest, the cost involved and how much better that nearest school could be if the monies were diverted to it.

Andyh82

Established Member
Two things have increased in recent times, long distance school services, and also operators from miles away from their traditional area running school runs.

There are various school runs in West Yorkshire where the duty will have more dead running than actual running. Connexions run one in Morley for example.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I hardly think a list of Bradford bus services is a definitive source, especially when the Calderdale equivalent lists the B3 as being a Metro subsidised service! Given that the service still received a six figure subsidy in 2014, I doubt very much that it has totally disappeared yet, although as you suggest the subsidy only applies Oxenhope to Hebden Bridge.

I didn't claim it was a definitive source, but it is produced by Metro who also provide the funding. As the two contradict one another, one must be wrong.

SCH117X

Established Member
Some change coming to the 965. Quite from VOSA (including the typo);

PB1003659/60
HARROGATE COACH TRAVEL LTD, SECTION 3, SOUTHFIELD LANE, TOCKWITH, YORK, YO26 7QP

Operating between Otley Bus Staton and Otley Bus Station given service number 965 effective from 02 January 2018. To amend Timetable.

spuddie

Some change coming to the 965. Quite from VOSA (including the typo);

PB1003659/60
HARROGATE COACH TRAVEL LTD, SECTION 3, SOUTHFIELD LANE, TOCKWITH, YORK, YO26 7QP

Operating between Otley Bus Staton and Otley Bus Station given service number 965 effective from 02 January 2018. To amend Timetable.

What's the chances of these timetable changes being it running 5 minutes in front of the Transdev service?

Stan Drews

Established Member
What's the chances of these timetable changes being it running 5 minutes in front of the Transdev service?

Not this time, as they are actually cancelling many of the journeys and just running off-peak between school times.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Transdev has won the award for Sustained Marketing Excellence for the 36 Riding Redefined at the UK Bus Awards today - see http://www.ukbusawards.org.uk/content/index.php/news-blog/1284-transdev-winners-the-36-strikes-gold
The Sustained Marketing Excellence category, sponsored by Exterion Media, recognises companies with a strong, customer-focused marketing strategy which has succeeded in influencing people to choose the bus over the car.

Transdev Blazefield's service 36 which runs between Harrogate and Leeds has been an outstanding success. The company, and the 36 team, has worked hard to create and nurture a brand that provides their valued customers with an assurance of quality previously unseen within the bus industry. In 2016 a further £3.3m investment was made in new vehicles, and last month the service was increased to run up to every 10 minutes.

No doubt this will have a few people gnashing their teeth! :lol:

johntea

Established Member
The 36 is a very good service, if I'm off to Leeds at the weekend I will favour it over the train. One criticism is excluding Saturdays the last bus back from Leeds is at 23:15 (before the train), it would be nice if they could maybe introduce a 00:15 service.

96tommy

The 36 is a very good service, if I'm off to Leeds at the weekend I will favour it over the train. One criticism is excluding Saturdays the last bus back from Leeds is at 23:15 (before the train), it would be nice if they could maybe introduce a 00:15 service.

Would love to see the Coastliner get the 36 treatment. New buses are an ok start but definitely a lot more they could improve with the service

96tommy

That's what I'm meaning. Not saying it's a bad service the Coastliner is very good too. However often buses don't turn up or they break down. Also introduction of better live times for passengers and an introduction of contactless payment options would be a big plus. That's why I said new buses are a start but still a lot of potential to be had in the service to bring it up to the level of the 36

Stan Drews

Established Member
That's what I'm meaning. Not saying it's a bad service the Coastliner is very good too. However often buses don't turn up or they break down. Also introduction of better live times for passengers and an introduction of contactless payment options would be a big plus. That's why I said new buses are a start but still a lot of potential to be had in the service to bring it up to the level of the 36

Out of interest, how do you get better than live times?

SCH117X

Established Member
Is it me or does a certain poster have a major problem that no one else has with Transdevs vehicles apparently constantly breaking down. On a lengthy route delays are unfortunately inevitable and given the accident record of the A64 not to be unexpected. From all the comments I have read the ten new Geminis Coastliner have had this year have been very welcomed and are plainly fitted out for the route - leather seats would probably not go down well; many do not like them. 2 + 1 seating upstairs would seriously limit capacity on a route which is less frequent than 36 and the full sized tables upstairs are a feature 36s do not have. Not sure adding the 36s gimmick of a library would make Coastliners vastly better.

96tommy

Not a problem at all with the buses the new ones are great and a significant improvement and huge credit must go to the Transdev team for that. I only suggested contactless payment like the 36 as it is quick becoming a major form of payment. I think most buses will have them in the not so distant future. Like you said 2+1 would not work on this route. Running only every 30 minutes means in the summer months buses are often full and standing to the coast. And yes the A64 is hell at times. Just tonight a crash has seen 3 Coastliners to York arrive in Tadcaster in the space of 3 minutes. I guess breaking down more related to the Cityzap buses. I think there is possibly an opportunity for more regular buses especially where Cityzap don't serve, how this would be achieved I don't know. Maybe in the summer months the old tradition of hiring a bus from the Keighley or Harrogate could return to introduce maybe a bus every 20 minutes to the coast as like I said buses can be extremely busy in the summer

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Could evidence be stated as when a Cityzap vehicle has actually broken down in service rather than throw away phrases - maybe an early new years resolution? The use of a replacement vehicle can be due to all sorts of reasons; routine maintenance, MOTs, repairs to the interior, body work repairs and not necessarily anything mechanical.

Re Contactless payments; the Transdev Blazefield Special Issue of Coach & Bus Week (Issue 1284 March 28 2017) explains the system they are using works in a deferred mode; the transaction is completed as and when a secure GPRS connection exists rather than waiting for a connection before issuing a ticket. There is a £15 limit to any such transaction set by the national credit/debit card organisation.

Presumably before rolling it out onto Coastliner they will want to make sure there are minimal fraudulent transactions taking place.

96tommy

Could evidence be stated as when a Cityzap vehicle has actually broken down in service rather than throw away phrases - maybe an early new years resolution? The use of a replacement vehicle can be due to all sorts of reasons; routine maintenance, MOTs, repairs to the interior, body work repairs and not necessarily anything mechanical.

Re Contactless payments; the Transdev Blazefield Special Issue of Coach & Bus Week (Issue 1284 March 28 2017) explains the system they are using works in a deferred mode; the transaction is completed as and when a secure GPRS connection exists rather than waiting for a connection before issuing a ticket. There is a £15 limit to any such transaction set by the national credit/debit card organisation.

Presumably before rolling it out onto Coastliner they will want to make sure there are minimal fraudulent transactions taking place.

I've seen 2 broken down In York and one in a lay by on the A64 and one being dragged by a recovery truck. The other week one broke down in Leeds and the replacement bus hit a lamppost as stated on another forum. Not putting the service down but it can't be denied they do break down just like any other bus. Maybe noticed more due to it being a smaller fleet.

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
I've seen 2 broken down In York and one in a lay by on the A64 and one being dragged by a recovery truck. The other week one broke down in Leeds and the replacement bus hit a lamppost as stated on another forum. Not putting the service down but it can't be denied they do break down just like any other bus. Maybe noticed more due to it being a smaller fleet.
So your have seen 3 broken down vehicles and know of a fourth on a service that has been running since March 2016; hardly a bus breaking down every day your postings imply.

96tommy

So your have seen 3 broken down vehicles and know of a fourth on a service that has been running since March 2016; hardly a bus breaking down every day your postings imply.
Where did I say a bus breaks down every day?

Status
Not open for further replies.