• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition heats up between Transdev and Connexions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyh82

Established Member
Mr Temple is now tweeting about profits being down 51% at Transdev Harrogate. Given the expenditure on the refurbished route 1 vehicles and the new 36s then is that really that surprising?

Of course if they were up, it would be negative as they would be fleecing hard working Yorkshire families to pay out French shareholders, or something along those lines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the101

Of course if they were up, it would be negative as they would be fleecing hard working Yorkshire families to pay out French shareholders, or something along those lines.
From reading this guy's Twitter feed, you can apparently only pass comment on what he says if you hold an O-licence. He yet again also lowers himself to a personal jibe at Alex Hornby.

I imagine that the file of printed-out screen grabs is getting ever larger.

SCH117X

Established Member
Pity someone with an O-licence does not tell him to stop being a complete and utter idiot (or more crude words to the same effect). He does the bus industry no favours and casts an appalling image.

the101

The vitriol towards Alex Hornby has moved this evening to the Friends of the PSV Circle Facebook page. Connexions' MD is making some rather dodgy suggestions about Hornby's financial management skills and his shelf life at Transdev.

Besides looking very childish, this whole sorry campaign is not going to end well. For Connexions' sake, I hope he sees sense sooner rather than later when he's potentially looking at something more serious than a social media exchange.

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
He really if full of himself. When the Whafedale Links services were launched the Yahoo Blazefield group had posting on it explaining that the Darts had not been repainted as the budget for such had been used up so they are hardly ignorant of financial matters. Meanwhile all we get from Mr Temple is one phony comment after another. What is known so far for Connexions is later this month from VOSA is that the 38 in Leeds is to be changed (presumably at Metros doing) while their is an unspecified change to the 13 in York and a route and timetable change to the x1c in, I presume, Knaresborough rather than Harrogate.
Alex had already tweeted on his @alextransdev twitter account that "2017 will bring more investment & revitalisation right across Blazefield, with even more focus on our people & our customers" which presumably led to Mr Temples latest outburst.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
Transdev's 2017 order is apparently going to consist of the second half of the new buses for Coastliner, and a complete replacement of the B&P Mainline fleet.

the101

Alex had already tweeted that "2017 will bring more investment & revitalisation right across Blazefield, with even more focus on our people & our customers" which presumably led to Mr Temples latest outburst.
There is an event coming up in February where the (quote) 'five-year vision' of Transdev's will be outlined. Interestingly, an electric Volvo of the type to enter service in Harrogate next year is being shipped across from Sweden for it.

swifty

Established Member
I get the feeling Mr Temple is jealous, as Transdev are doing great things, which he either cannot or won't do.

The feeling I get is that the view is Transdev are nasty and not local, being French owned and that he's about local jobs for local people, and generally being local. But in his Facebook rant last night basically said they'd sell up to a national group if the offered arrived at the door.

Last edited:

nesw

I can't see the business being worth much as it's mainly a selection of School contracts, commercial services that duplicate the routes of other operators and a few service contracts.

A lot of the fleet is middle aged and that must reflect in engineering costs.

I'd imagine that he's probably struggling to make a living?

SCH117X

Established Member
The feeling I get is that the view is Transdev are nasty and not local, being French owned and that he's about local jobs for local people, and generally being local.
The irony is of course Transdev employ far more people in the "locality" than he does; if not all certainly the vast majority of Transdev Harrogates staff live in the town or Knaresborough whilst Connexions draw staff in from, for example, Leeds to their remote depot - who exactly is providing "local jobs for local people".

SCH117X

Established Member
I can't see the business being worth much as it's mainly a selection of School contracts, commercial services that duplicate the routes of other operators and a few service contracts.

A lot of the fleet is middle aged and that must reflect in engineering costs.

I'd imagine that he's probably struggling to make a living?

8.55am Empress Roundabout Harrogate today (4 stops to go before the bus station)
x1c 2 passengers
x1 No passengers

And a while later they had Olympian P168BTV on an X70 from Wetherby
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Transdev have assorted time changes next month:

http://keighleybus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=1851

Looks like the subisidy's been withdrawn for the 923 between Wetherby and Tadcaster due to the X70.

Let's hope it carries on.

Of course it's a bugger for people who made through journeys.

Even more so for anyone living in Tadcaster and working at Thorp Arch.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Even more so for anyone living in Tadcaster and working at Thorp Arch.

Yes - their bus service is about to evaporate completely.

Still, never mind - so long as Connexions has got one over on the evil Transdev.

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Yes - their bus service is about to evaporate completely.

Still, never mind - so long as Connexions has got one over on the evil Transdev.

Or has he really. Metro reduce the tender mid term due to the service no longer being - do Transdev gain as Metro are presumably in default of the contract they originally agreed. There was a posting (now deleted) referring the unreliability of the 12+ year old CityZap Geminis. They were all rebuilt between late 2010 and early 2012 with new engines and gearboxes; the main problem is that one of them is known to be a poorly bus - no one seems able to fix it and York were the unlucky receiptants of it when they were dislodged from Harrogate. Possibly its the same one that prior to rebuilding was nicknamed The Snail at Harrogate due to its lack of acceleration.

Last edited:

96tommy

Yeah that was me. main point of my post was that CityZap average apparently "13" passengers per journey. I know that is rubbish as I have never seen more than 10 on one at any time. Living in and being from Tadcaster, it would me more purposeful to run this journey via Tadcaster but non stop York-College-Tad-Leeds no Copmanthrope/Seacroft/Killingbeck etc.) to increase passenger numbers. In recent years Transdev has reduced the number of buses to Leeds and York from Tad from 4 to 2.

In my other post i also noted that Connexions has also the ability to improve in the area, suggesting establishing the original C1 route run by Adam Askew from Tadcaster to York via Colton/Bolton Percy and Appleton Roebuck (they took over this but quickly short routed it to run from Colton to York).

I have yet to sample the X70 but looking at the 923 it almost ran in two routes (Tad to Wetherby, Wetherby to Otley) not many made the whole journey through. A direct link to Harrogate is more important than a direct link to Otley and I can't wait to use it when i'm back in the summer

Thanks for your reply on the Cityzap bus reliability issues. It just shows you can do whatever you want to a bus but really they are 12+ years old at heart. You can't fix it by putting a private reg on, giving it a lick of paint and putting a new engine in!

SCH117X

Established Member
The 2010-2012 rebuild also included new fronts (Gemini 2 so they cannot look 12 years old!), new handrail (to the upper front at least) and new seats with wifi being fitted in 2012. The idea was that they could make a better bus from what they already had than they could buy new.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Or has he really. Metro reduce the tender mid term due to the service no longer being - do Transdev gain as Metro are presumably in default of the contract they originally agreed.

These contracts usually have a clause allowing them to be terminated or altered with some notice if a commercial service starts up.

It'll be interesting to see if this route just becomes shorter (with less money being paid) or if the removed mileage allows an extra return trip to be made on the remaining section (meaning it's worth about the same).

Yeah that was me. main point of my post was that CityZap average apparently "13" passengers per journey. I know that is rubbish as I have never seen more than 10 on one at any time. Living in and being from Tadcaster, it would me more purposeful to run this journey via Tadcaster but non stop York-College-Tad-Leeds no Copmanthrope/Seacroft/Killingbeck etc.) to increase passenger numbers. In recent years Transdev has reduced the number of buses to Leeds and York from Tad from 4 to 2.

That's after putting it up from 2 to 4, then down to 3. Then 2 to Leeds

Incidentally, there's still 3 buses an hour between Tadcaster and York for much of the day - 2 Coastliners and a Tadfaster.

Last edited:

96tommy

But the Tadfaster is likely to stop when the bridge opens. Dhame really as i use it a few times each week being on the east side of the bridge when im home from London. Meant to be about 28th January but when I walked to look at progress earlier that seems very unachievable.

As for peak service City zaps, I wouldn't day they look much busier. They were giving away free ticketa for it last week l, dont knowbif that can be used to signal thry are lacking passengers? Why not run non stop every 30 mins and via Tad every 30 mins?

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
But the Tadfaster is likely to stop when the bridge opens. Dhame really as i use it a few times each week being on the east side of the bridge when im home from London. Meant to be about 28th January but when I walked to look at progress earlier that seems very unachievable.

I don't know if it will stop then - I've seen no announcements to that effect.
Transdev have posted that they'll be returning to their normal route when it does, but with no reference to the Tadfaster.

It's certainly running now though.

96tommy

Used it every day this week! Would love to see it continue but I can only see it running a few weeks after the bridge reopens before closing

SCH117X

Established Member
Surely if their was the custom Tadcaster would have more buses but presumably when they tried 4 a hour it showed their was not sufficient passengers to justify it. The whole purpose of the Cityzap is a fast York-Leeds service, serving Tadcaster would detract from that. Equally if their is an unserved demand why hasn't a certain other operator provided a service.
Meanwhile first surprise of 2017 from Transdev is an additional working on route 6 in Harrogate from 19 Feb - 0904 from Pannal Ash which, although the sixth Transdev journey of the day, will be 6 minutes before the first Connexions service.

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
There is some change coming for the Cityzap
PB0001873/66 YORKSHIRE COASTLINER LTD, PROSPECT PARK, BROUGHTON WAY, HARROGATE, HG2 7NY
Operating between Leeds City Bus Station and York, The Stonebow given service number ZAP effective from 19 February 2017. To amend Route, Stopping Places and Timetable.
According to the latest North Yorkshire changes listed by NYCC
http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/media/18949/Forthcoming-changes-to-local-bus-services/pdf/Service-Changes.pdf
the Cityzap change is an additional stop at York Racecourse (those quicker than NYCC will realise that as the service only stops in York and Leeds it actually has nothing to do with NYCC). An interesting entry is that Transdev will, from 19 Feb, have a "New timetable with additional journeys between Harrogate and Wetherby to give three departures an hour during the main part of the day"

Last edited:

northrob

There is some change coming for the Cityzap
PB0001873/66 YORKSHIRE COASTLINER LTD, PROSPECT PARK, BROUGHTON WAY, HARROGATE, HG2 7NY
Operating between Leeds City Bus Station and York, The Stonebow given service number ZAP effective from 19 February 2017. To amend Route, Stopping Places and Timetable.
According to the latest North Yorkshire changes listed by NYCC
http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/media/18949/Forthcoming-changes-to-local-bus-services/pdf/Service-Changes.pdf
the Cityzap change is an additional stop at York Racecourse (those quicker than NYCC will realise that as the service only stops in York and Leeds it actually has nothing to do with NYCC). An interesting entry is that Transdev will, from 19 Feb, have a "New timetable with additional journeys between Harrogate and Wetherby to give three departures an hour during the main part of the day"

Cityzap does actually have a stop in North Yorkshire - Hazelwood Castle Hotel on the A64 near the junction with the A1. However, I do believe that it's more to do with making the service eligible for concessionary reimbursement rather than actual demand though...

theblackwatch

Established Member
And the latest from Transdev is the increase in services between Harrogate and Wetherby from 2 to 3 per hour - see http://harrogatebus.co.uk/news.jsp?newsID=1863

A SPEEDIER, SIMPLER 770 & 771
18-01-2017
From 19 February, we're bringing you more faster buses between Wetherby and Harrogate.

The faster 771 will now run every 30 mins all day, Monday to Saturday, which will really simplify things for customers and speed up the majority of journeys for everyone.

This will also improve our timekeeping, with buses having more time to rest in between journeys, allowing more punctual departures throughout this busy route.

The 770 will still run too, every hour as it does now, but just between Harrogate and Wetherby, extending to Leeds at rush hours and during evenings and Sundays.

SCH117X

Established Member
In response to Transdevs low emission buses funded through the appropriate grant Mr Temple is tweeting he has low emission buses without any funding. Presumably its the usual stretching the truth and the reason he has not had any funding for them is that they were modified for another operator, off whom he has purchased them, who had the funding some time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.