• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(complete) City Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Sprinter said:
Wells is indeed the smallest city in England.

Well the fact that I have never heard of Wells means that this doesn't surprise me!!!!

Jordy

Met Driver

Established Member
Jordy said:
Well the fact that I have never heard of Wells means that this doesn't surprise me!!!!

Probably because it doesn't have a station ;)

It's nearest is Castle Cary IIRC.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Seth said:
The City isn't considered seperate to London as a whole. It is a District more than anything else.

You'll be hard pressed to get anyone to accept that the City is a Borough, because, officially there are only 32 boroughs, and the GLA isn't supposed to carry out many of the administrative functions in the City, so really it is a Unitary authority, though going by that rule Bristol isn't a city either.

Sprinter

For the record Wells is in Somerset, 6 miles north of Glastonbury. The nearest NR station to Wells is indeed Castle Cary.

Or to give a more obvious place name, Wells is 22 miles south of Bristol.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Went to Wells often when I was younger, really liked the Idea of the water running alongside the road, really used to interest me when I was small. Now I'm older and have visited it it seems quite pathetic! But still a lovely resort.

AJP

Ripon is tiny why the hell isnt Doncaster a city. Reason why it should be.........................................................................................

1.It as 7 different passenger operators.(Most in UK)
2.Has a big church thingy.
3.Has a Airport with flights to America,Mexico coming up :D
4.Bigger than loads of cities.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
Ripon is tiny why the hell isnt Doncaster a city. Reason why it should be.........................................................................................

None of those are valid reasons to make it a city.

There's 6 TOCs serving Doncaster, and it does have the most in the UK but jointly with another station. There is also at least one more station that is also joint top if you count Virgin XC/WC seperately[1] (Which I don't).

[1] They are seperate companies, however they are presented to the customer as one.

AJP

1.GNER
2.Virgin
3.Northern
4.Midland Mainline
5.Hull trains
6. Transpennine express
7. Central

I belive thats 7.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Oh yes the Doncaster-Lincoln trains. I was forgetting about them.

Sprinter

The original criteria for a town to be classed as a "city" is if the town has a catherdral. Therefore London, Birmingham, Ely, Wells, York etc. are all cities.

Other towns gain "city" status from the queen, I know some towns have this honour but can't think of any offhand!

AJP

When you arrive into Dunfermline it says 'Welcome to the city of Dunfermline' It has an abbey and is pretty small place.

Guinness

Established Member
AJP said:

1. Crewe has lots of operators. Cross Country, West Coast, Northern, Arriva Trains Wales, Central, First ScotRail and isn't a City.
2. Cathedral?
3. Wow - How long will those Flights last?
4. Depends on how you describe City. By Population? Growth? Buildings? Miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.