• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Complete Power Failure at Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

All of crewe station is in total darkness,and parts of crewe have no power,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Been a major gas explosion outside crewe station,.all manholes are on fire.
All of Nantwich road is closed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
Oh dear.

With that scenario I would be very surprised if the lines are not already shut or at least will be very soon.

ole man

erm nope,station hasn't been evacuted as of yet though, there has been injuries,though i don't know if anybody has died

ushawk

Established Member
Lot of activity on Twitter in the last few minutes confirming a power failure and explosion.

NRE has just posted that the area around Crewe station is closed with no trains currently running through Crewe

Start date
28/09/2011
Route affected
All routes through Crewe
Train operators affected
Arriva Trains Wales , East Midlands Trains , London Midland , Northern Rail , Virgin Trains
Description

Emergency services are dealing with an incident at Crewe.

Because of this, the station is currently closed and no trains will run through the area until further notice. Journeys will be delayed by up to 60 minutes. Northern Rail trains will start / terminate at Sandbach. Further information for other Train Companies will be provided as soon as possible.

ole man

Must of been quite bad,every part of crewe had power surge's.
No trains are calling at crewe, though the station has back up electricity, and is now back up

ole man

I've heard possible damage to Nantwich road bridge, which go's over the top of every main line and freight lines through crewe

eastdyke

Established Member
Safeguard life
Safeguard property
Assess cause
If gas, bring gas escape under control
Assess damage
Evaluate implications

Could be a long night.

I really do hope that any injuries are not serious.

ushawk

Established Member
Some people are saying on Twitter that trains have now started moving, which seems very quick - whether its true or not is unknown.

Sky News reporting it as "an explosion at Crewe Railway Station"

eastdyke

Established Member
If the incident is limited to the Nantwich Road / Bridge it may be that trains can enter and leave from/to the south. Not sure about the avoiding lines.

I would be very surprised if the Nantwich Road was able to re-open so quickly.

And I actually hope that I am wrong in the latter.

ushawk

Established Member
NRE now only reporting delays of up to an hour via Crewe so that would mean the station should of reopened again

Darandio

Established Member
Sky News reporting it as "an explosion at Crewe Railway Station"

Yes, and now reporting that Cheshire Police have confirmed it as so.

Don't expect much Sky coverage though, not with the Michael Jackson coverage. He has passed away apparently.

driver9000

Established Member
Crewe station is open again according to National Rail on Twitter.

ole man

As posted above, the station has power, but is currently closed, lots of emergency services there, quite a lot of people just stood around watching

DavidBrown

Hearing now that it was an electrical explosion rather than gas, possibly from a nearby substation. Quick search on Facebook brings up rumours of possibly one fatality - though the word 'rumours' cannot be stressed enough.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are the Sleepers likely to get a Colwich - Stoke - Manchester - Bolton - Preston drag diversion tonight as a result of this?

Darandio

Established Member
And this is why, despite differing opinions, I much prefer a BBC headline to one from Sky.

Sky: Injuries After Blast At Crewe Train Station

BBC: Two people injured after small explosions near Crewe railway station, fire service says. Electrical fault thought to be cause

Note one says "near" and one says "at". The BBC seem to wait and try to get a proper angle, the opposite of Sky and their "drama". Of course, that is what they want.

ole man

It was caused by a electrical explosion/fire in the building next to rail house, on the corner of Nantwich road/Gresty road.
Nantwich road still closed,no access to horse landing for any rail staff, unless part of incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.