• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Complex ticketing HFD-CYS-LIV via CTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypops

Hi,

I would like some help with a journey I want to make this Friday / weekend. I need to travel from Hereford to Cathays, followed by a journey to Liverpool Lime St, via Chester (this is important, and where it gets complicated). The return is on Monday morning from Lime Street, usually via Crewe because these are more frequent. For brevity i'm not including all of the CDF-CYS changes.

My current plan is:

0745 Hereford (HFD) to Cathays (CYS) via Cardiff Central (CDF).
~1200 CDF to Chester (CTR).
Break of Journey at Chester.
Onward travel to LIV a couple of hours later.

Returning Monday morning:
0804 LIV - CRE
0908 CRE - CDF
Local to CYS
1818 CDF - HFD

My question - which tickets should I buy? I do not want any advance tickets and I use a YP railcard. I am aware there is a restriction on BOJ on an outbound open RTN?

My current view is to buy:
Anytime Open RTN HFD-CYS
Off-Peak Open RTN CYS-LIV
relevant single Chester - LIV (merseyrail?)

The plan would be to use outbound leg of CYS-LIV between CDF and Chester, and since BOJ isn't allowed (I think?) buy a single from Chester to LIV?

Is this sensible?

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Hi,
The plan would be to use outbound leg of CYS-LIV between CDF and Chester, and since BOJ isn't allowed (I think?) buy a single from Chester to LIV?
Is this sensible?

A CYS-LIV SVR would not let you out of the station at Chester (outbound) on restriction 8A.
You might do better with HFD-CYS SDR 15.25,
then HFD-CTR SVR 28.25,
plus local CTR-LIV 4.10 each way.

It is very cheap at the mo to go from HFD on LM via BHM to LIV direct in their on-line sale but that doesn't work for Chester.

Hope this helps.

John @ home

Established Member
My question - which tickets should I buy? I do not want any advance tickets and I use a YP railcard. I am aware there is a restriction on BOJ on an outbound open RTN?
It makes life easier on the forum if you avoid the phrase "open return". Since the abolition of the ticket with that name in 2008, two uses of the phrase have arisen. Some people use it to mean any flexible ticket as distinct from an Advance ticket; others to mean an Anytime Return. To avoid confusion, we don't use the phrase.
My current view is to buy:
Anytime Open RTN HFD-CYS
There is no Anytime Return Hereford - Cathays, but the £20.25 Railcard Off-Peak Return Hereford - Cathays has no time restrictions. It has Restriction 8X, which does indeed prohibit break of outward journey. But you don't intend to do that.
Off-Peak Open RTN CYS-LIV
relevant single Chester - LIV (merseyrail?)
The £52.40 Railcard Off-Peak Return Cathays - Liverpool is relatively expensive, and I would avoid it. Instead I suggest a £42.45 Railcard Off-Peak Return Cathays - Chester. This also has has Restriction 8X, with no time restrictions but no break of outward journey. Again, you don't intend to do that.

This ticket is valid via Wrexham (map BD) for the outward leg, and via Crewe (map combination BD+CH) for the return leg. It allows break of the return leg of the journey, so you could use it Cathays - Chester outward and Crewe - Cathays return. This gives a total of £62.70 for all your travel south of Chester and Crewe.

At this point I should draw your attention to the Explore Wales Flexipass, which costs £58.75 with a Railcard and gives unlimited rail travel after 0915 Monday - Friday within Wales and to Crewe and Gloucester on any 4 out of 8 consecutive days, in addition to a number of other benefits, including unlimited bus travel on all 8 days. See this map.

The 0915 start does not meet your proposed times, but the other benefits of this ticket are so great that, if I had to make the journeys you describe, I would re-arrange my itinerary to fit the Flexipass.

Finally, you would need a ticket for Chester - Liverpool on the Friday and Liverpool - Crewe on the Monday morning. A £12 Railcard Anytime Return Crewe - Liverpool will do the job. This is valid out via Chester and return via Runcorn, meeting your needs. Use it Chester - Liverpool - Crewe. It saves £3.90 on the appropriate Single tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.