• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ben

Cockfosters said:
I think you run Windoze? That's far more likely to bugger up your computer!
had Windows for 4 Years this march - Aint buggered anything up Yet.

Ben

Gareth Hale said:
We have had Windows 3.1, 98, 2000, ME and XP. Nothing has been buggered up at all. 8-)
MY Opinion is that Windows only Buggers up for people that go messing with files and Things that shouldnt be Messed with.

Gareth Hale

That is true. And also who dont update their PC to the latest version of windows..

XP Updates issued.

Craig

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
External HDDs - might I ask what's werong with an internal one? You do get problems with them being awfully slow since many use USB (for those who think USB is fast, compare it with ||'l internal data cable).
Depends what you want to use it for. A decent USB2/Firewire external HDD is good enough for backups and storing stuff you don't need all of the time. They're especially handy if, like me, you use a laptop regularly and don't want to keep having to change HDD's :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
158 said:
MY Opinion is that Windows only Buggers up for people that go messing with files and Things that shouldnt be Messed with.

There is nothing that "shouldn't be messed with" - how is anyone going to use a vanilla version of Windows properly?

And now, My DVD Drive has packed in, thank goodness I had some cover plan...

Ben

Cockfosters said:
There is nothing that "shouldn't be messed with" - how is anyone going to use a vanilla version of Windows properly?
It will Work Properly if you dont mess around with it in the First place! ;)

Ben

Playing with Settings and files that were meant to be kept as they came. :)

Tom B

Established Member
Err what are the files and settings there for? To be changed. If they weren't designed to be changed, they would be hardcoded.

You can make Windoze run much better and faster by fiddling with it - getting rid of all the extra trashy animaitons, for example.

Gareth Hale

Most computers dont need them disableing.
--- edited ---
47205 said:
And now, My DVD Drive has packed in, thank goodness I had some cover plan...

Thats not Windows Fault.......... Check to see if its still plugged in.. If not, its broken hardware, not operating system :ky:

Tom B

Established Member
You do - the interfaces are dreadful - think of how many visual effects there are in the way when you just want to get something done (default control panel, search bar etc).

Whether they need changing or not - I reiterate, they are THERE to be changed. If the designers of the operating system didn't want them changed, they wouldn't allow people to.

Gareth Hale said:
Most computers dont need them disableing.
--- edited ---

Thats not Windows Fault.......... Check to see if its still plugged in.. If not, its broken hardware, not operating system :ky:

Gareth, I didn't say it was Windows' fault, I have put it down to faulty hardware.

Gareth Hale

Cockfosters said:
You do - the interfaces are dreadful - think of how many visual effects there are in the way when you just want to get something done (default control panel, search bar etc).

Whether they need changing or not - I reiterate, they are THERE to be changed. If the designers of the operating system didn't want them changed, they wouldn't allow people to.

I personally really like the XP Blue. Its a heck of a lot nicer than the Windows Millennium Edition style. I know on my old PC, the visual effects really slowed it down, but on this one it doesnt make any differance so ive just left them be, I agree the control panel looks better in 'Classic' view. A lot quicker to get to the thing you need. Im going to keep Windows XP till December then duel it up with Windows Vista. The features on XP are getting fairly old now, since to say XP is 5 years old. Vista will be a refreshing new look.

Also, 158, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822101009
that is £34

Status
Not open for further replies.