• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Lowes

Can some please tell me what this means, and is there anything that can be done about it :(

help.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Never seen that one!

I don't THINK it's an important file, although I'm sure Cockfosters, the resident computing expert, can confirm either way on that. If it had been a .dll it had reported as lost, I'd be worried. Thankfully it's not.

Gareth Hale

Do an Ad-Aware SE scan, and a spybot Search+Destroy scan, and if it doesnt help, delete the directory.

bloogrape

37422 'Cardiff Canton' said:
Can some please tell me what this means, and is there anything that can be done about it :(

help.JPG
Edonkey = Officaly spyware bro, same as bearshare, get rid of it and do a full system scan asap

Nitro

Scott, I would suggest you got to www.download.com and get all the anti-spyware utilities you can get your hands on. Atleast one is bound to have it in its definitons.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
class 313 said:
Looks like your hard drive has snuffed it.
I agree.

You clearly had spyware, and then your hard drive has failed. The message you got was a warning that failure was imminent.

You will need to purchase a new hard drive, and fit that to your PC. Hopefully you kept your original XP CD, and install Windows from scratch.

You can try fitting your old HDD as a slave and you MIGHT be able to copy some of your documents off it before it dies completely if it has not already done so.

But, in theory, you've backed up all your files so won't need to do this? ;) (In reality people don't tend to back up even though we all know we should!!!)
--- edited ---
But i cant get onto my XP installation, i typing this from the laptop:(
Does it start to load at all? If so, then the HDD isn't completely dead (yet), you may be able to copy any vital files off it before it dies. Take the HDD out, put a new one in and get XP re-installed. When that's done, put the old HDD in as a slave and hopefully you'll salvage some stuff.

S Lowes

yorkie said:
Does it start to load at all? If so, then the HDD isn't completely dead (yet), you may be able to copy any vital files off it before it dies. Take the HDD out, put a new one in and get XP re-installed. When that's done, put the old HDD in as a slave and hopefully you'll salvage some stuff.

Yes it does start to load it shows the device i have installed when i first turn it on eg: CD Rom + Hard Disk then it goes to the windows xp loading screen, stops then goes back to the start where it tells me what devices i have installed :confused:

devon_metro

Established Member
I had this problem on my old 98 machine, i had about 10 seconds whwn booted to disable the program before a forced restart...
Bloody annoying!

So your BIOS boot screen is working. Could have just mangled XP up, i have had to reinstall XP before.

David

Established Member
Yes it does start to load it shows the device i have installed when i first turn it on eg: CD Rom + Hard Disk then it goes to the windows xp loading screen, stops then goes back to the start where it tells me what devices i have installed :confused:
From what I have seen here, your CMOS chip on the motherboard is fine. It's just that for whatever reason, XP has decided to stop working properly (not unknown for M$ products.)

If you want any help, I charge a reasonable rate of £15 an hour + VAT....

Tom B

Established Member
Have you tried safe mode? Alternatively you might get something from using a LiveCD - but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

I'd advise just getting AdAware - it picks up most things, having 50 anti malware programs just causes more problems than it solves. And do an update. And a scan. Regularly.

Also use some COMMON SENSE! Downloading anything which promises to "help clean up the registry" or "search faster" is most likely to be malware. As is any p2p software or things targeted at the newbie user. There is also now malware out claiming to be anti virus software - only use reputable products. Do a google if in doubt of ask on here.

bloogrape

Cockfosters said:
Have you tried safe mode? Alternatively you might get something from using a LiveCD - but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

I'd advise just getting AdAware - it picks up most things, having 50 anti malware programs just causes more problems than it solves. And do an update. And a scan. Regularly.

Also use some COMMON SENSE! Downloading anything which promises to "help clean up the registry" or "search faster" is most likely to be malware. As is any p2p software or things targeted at the newbie user. There is also now malware out claiming to be anti virus software - only use reputable products. Do a google if in doubt of ask on here.
well said bro

Guinness

Established Member
Personally the only 3 Things you need are :-

Avast! Anti-Virus (Free for Personal Use)
Kerio Personal Firewall or Zone Alarms (Both Free for Personal Use)
Lavasoft Ad-aware (Again, Free for Personal Use)

Windows Firewall is really like using Tesco Toothpaste, it doesn't really protect or do much.

As Tom said, do a scan regularly e.g. when you go and have your Lunch leave your computer on and do a spyware scan. :)

S Lowes

Thanks for all the help guys, ive just ordered a new hard drive and am going to take everyones suggestions about the scanning utilities onboard :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for all the help guys, ive just ordered a new hard drive and am going to take everyones suggestions about the scanning utilities onboard :D
If you want to have a go at fitting it yourself, have a look on the web for guides ( http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=fitting+a+hard+drive&meta= ) and if you have a question let me know (you can phone me for advice if you want).

I've got 3 hard drives and the important stuff is on at least 2, so if one fails I won't lose too much. ;)

I would personally never run a PC with just one hard drive. If anyone here has only one HDD then ensure you backup your important files (e.g. to CDs) regularly.

Remember Hard drives are the most likely component to fail (along with PSUs), because they contain moving parts.

Ben

Anyone got an Idea of how much External HDD's Cost?

I Do need to start thinking about backing up files

Tom B

Established Member
External HDDs - might I ask what's werong with an internal one? You do get problems with them being awfully slow since many use USB (for those who think USB is fast, compare it with ||'l internal data cable).

Ben

Cockfosters said:
External HDDs - might I ask what's werong with an internal one? You do get problems with them being awfully slow since many use USB (for those who think USB is fast, compare it with ||'l internal data cable).
Scared of buggering My Computer up installing it.

Tom B

Established Member
I think you run Windoze? That's far more likely to bugger up your computer!

devon_metro

Established Member
IIRC installing an internal HD is not to hard. Plug it in and in the boot menu set it as a slave. Might be wrong...

Although they are cheaper and as tom says, faster.

David

Established Member
dvn1357 said:
IIRC installing an internal HD is not to hard. Plug it in and in the boot menu set it as a slave.
Not quite that easy. you have to make sure the jumper settings are right (and the are fiddly little things), and also ensure that you get the IDE cable in the right way. I have seen a friend of mine who plugged the cable in upside down. It didn't do the HD much good.....

Status
Not open for further replies.