• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

computer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

has anyever experienced this a computer that for no reasons keeps switching its self off and when logged into the internet.
This thing has done it now 5 times since 2030 i get no warning next thing i know trhe screens gone blank and its windows xp screen comes up,any ideas its just recentley been repaired perhaps its had enough.:(
anyone else had it happend to them

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nope i just get the screen suddengley go black and thats it ,its done it 6 times now in the last hour the last time was just after i uploaded that msg.
I guess its yet another trip to the repair shop again grrrrrrr 4 times so far this year they must love me in there- and its allready on its 4th hardrive:cussing:
Perhaps my computer hates me as well maybe i should get a new one

tryed that no joy it even does it when its not connected to the net, mayber theres a virus in here somewhere yet i scan frequentley:mad: i will get to the bottom of this i hope

The Gricer

Check that your processor fan is running ok. I've seen similar on a P4 machine. If a P4 thinks it's running too hot it shuts down to prevent itself from cooking. I don't know if AMD chips are the same but I suspect they probably have some similar mechanism.

Frank

Tom2506

My machine likes to shut down (especially when I'm trying to enjoy a train simulator session) and it's because the motherboard has a mechanism that shuts the power off to prevent damage if the temperature is to high, I am running an AMD chip and they get very hot.

A video I saw showed an AMD processor having the heat sink lifted off and the processor burnt up but a Pentium continued to run and was fine afterwords.

To combat the problem I installed another internal fan and run the PC with the side off if I'm doing a demanding task.

If cooling the computer doesn't help then look at software and hardware problems next.

Gareth Hale

Also, if your processor fan is o.k, try doing a virus scan, also your motherboard may be the reason, and/or the PSU (power supply unit) is on its last legs.

its now off and im useing an old computer ,the other one has been on before for as long with out any problems what so ever and its only used for the net.
The fan was not even going nuts it was operating normally,it would go for 25 mins or in some cases 2 mins and not even that once it lasted for just 30 seconds before the lights went out.
Maybe it was just all a case of overheating(its a laptop) and maybe it will it will all be ok later when its cooled down, i hope or maybe its got something very wrong inside it- i hope not- :mad: ,as its well know down my local repair shop with its 4th harddrive inside it -maybe they should give me my own parking space im there often:p
Even my sisters computer does not give problems and its on in some cases over 12 hours a day
All my processer hungry games are kept on a desk top computer upstairs and thats never given me any problems and thats been on for a long time as well often- it also is not net connected.
oh well i hope its all better tomorrow im thinking of getting a new one anyway:usa2:
Oh and thanks everybody for the helpfull advice:D i will give the fan a going over when its cooled down maybe thats all it needs i hope if not wonder how much the compueter repair shop will skin me for this time:cussing: :sign6:

Sprog

Established Member
Maybe your CPU is running hot as others have said?....

Mine trips out at 60 degrees.

When it reaches that 'critical' temperature, it just goes to BIOS and if you try to start Windows, it just re-boots again, and again, and again.

I got particulay worried the first time this happend and couldnt figure out what was up, until i looked on the BIOS screen and saw the CPU cut-off was 60 and the current temp was..............60 :o :roll:

So i just left the PC for an hour or so to cool off and it was fine.

I also gave it a clean out with a Vacuum to make sure it wasnt being caused by dust and durt. Done that FAF?!........ (no offence meant btw, its just i cant be arsed 2 type out 117.......blah blah) :lol:

Craig

Established Member
I wouldn't recommend using a vacuum cleaner inside your PC. They can create static electricity which can damage components. A can of compressed air is much safer. If you do use a vacuum, put a peice of cloth or something over the end just in case you suck up something important.

spm_43030 said:
Done that FAF?!........ (no offence meant btw, its just i cant be arsed 2 type out 117.......blah blah) :lol:
:D :D

The fan itself was not going nuts at the time(it only seems to do that when i view large pics on some forums-then its 100%cpu use and the fan screams at me ) so it could be a problem but i hope its not.
But then it could all be caused bye a little peace of dust in the fan or somthing or maybe the heat sink is no longer effective :angry4:.
Thankfully i backed up my stuff early on today and i do it reguler so i wont lose anythign if its totally messed up again:angry4:
You can all call me 5 -305 licensed to be nice 99% of the time

Sprog

Established Member
117305 said:
The fan itself was not going nuts at the time(it only seems to do that when i view large pics on some forums-then its 100%cpu use and the fan screams at me ) so it could be a problem but i hope its not.
But then it could all be caused bye a little peace of dust in the fan or somthing or maybe the heat sink is no longer effective :angry4:.
Thankfully i backed up my stuff early on today and i do it reguler so i wont lose anythign if its totally messed up again:angry4:

No, its not the fan.

its the big metal lump of CPU we are on about.

Those things get bloody hot without enough/adequite cooling.

Maybe your PC is clogged with dirt/dust or maybe your fan/thermostat is palying up.....?
--- edited ---
Craig said:
I wouldn't recommend using a vacuum cleaner inside your PC. They can create static electricity which can damage components. A can of compressed air is much safer. If you do use a vacuum, put a peice of cloth or something over the end just in case you suck up something important.

LOL :lol: "whoops, there goes the graphics card......" :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:

it seems ok now ive had it on bench test for an hour done 2 virus scans 1 defrag and it all seems ok now maybe it just had a mad session i guess.
Hope it does not do it again its a wonder its not done it before as its on for a long time at times.
Althought its a laptop i do have it raised up so air can get around it and it is cleaned often and under i guess a rogue peace of dirt got through.
Thanks for the help and advice peaple :) .
i will reconnect it back up now and see what happens.

devon_metro

Established Member
The Gricer said:
Check that your processor fan is running ok. I've seen similar on a P4 machine. If a P4 thinks it's running too hot it shuts down to prevent itself from cooking. I don't know if AMD chips are the same but I suspect they probably have some similar mechanism.

Frank

Thats the only downfall of my P4 Chip, and i have 3 fans! :confused:

Tom B

Established Member
Hardly a bad thing. I think you'd prefer the machine to auto shutdown rather than frying the chip and setting light to your house...

Status
Not open for further replies.