• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Computer Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Lowes

Hi guys

I have two Hard Drives in my computer and when i go to log in, my desktop appears and the taskbar and then the computer just crashes when the taskbar comes up :cry: . But if i turn off the computer and unplug the second hard drive the computer loads up and works :o i currently have:

AMD Duron 1.6GHZ
768mb RAM
ATI Radeon 9200
Seagate 40gb Hard Drive (Main Hard Drive)
Maxtor 40gb Hard Drive (Second Hard Drive)
Windows XP Pro SP2

Anyone Got Any Ideas :-?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
What did you do just before the problem occured?
If nothing I'd suggest there is fault with the second hard drive.

S Lowes

Nothing was touched on the hard drive, it started to happen 2 days ago so i reinstalled XP and that cured it until this afternoon when it started playing up again.

Craig

Established Member
Is the second hard disk set to slave mode?

What happens if you boot to safe mode?

Daniel

Established Member
Possibly a faulty hard drive.

Do you how to use BIOS, and the system setup system?

If so, disable your second HDD and run a CheckDisk on it.

Nick W

Established Member
I think the hard drives are fine.

I think the problem lies with MS Window's archaic DOS style assingment of drives (c: d: etc).

My guess is that some programme is trying to access a file on "C:" but can't because the drive refered to "C:" has changed.

TheSlash

Established Member
If nothing I'd suggest there is fault with the second hard drive.
Is that your highly researched, evaluated and tested final answer :?: The reason i ask is that anybody with the slightest fault find experience could determine that the 2nd hard drive appears to be the problem :kermit: ;)

mbonwick

Established Member
Hmmmmmm.. is it possible for you to put the second drive in another computer and see what happens?
That would greatly narrow down the source of the problem!

Sprog

Established Member
Is that your highly researched, evaluated and tested final answer :?: The reason i ask is that anybody with the slightest fault find experience could determine that the 2nd hard drive appears to be the problem :kermit: ;)

:grin::lol:

mbonwick

Established Member
Another thought....Have you tried swapping the drives around? I just read in a computer hardware forum that some drives are incompatible
IE they will work one way but not the other.
I also read that it can, in some cases, take several months to occur.

Nick W

Established Member
If the computer will get as far as loading windows, why would there be a problem with the hard drive bad enough to require removal?

I will repost what I said earlier.

"I think the hard drives are fine.

I think the problem lies with MS Window's archaic DOS style assingment of drives (c: d: etc).

My guess is that some programme is trying to access a file on "C:" but can't because the drive refered to "C:" has changed."

T

Tom

You can change drive letters in Computer Management under Administrative Tools in Control Panel, Nick. ;)

eos

Make sure that one of the drives is not set to 'CS' ( Cable select) via the links on the back..much more relaible to use the Master /Slave arrangement.. Make sure that there is not a conflict with the DVD , DVDRW , etc that may be fitted to the computer , that will cause conflict ( have you looped the second drive using the same cable as the DVD/DVDRW uses, ie just plugged it in.. If you have a spare IDE socket on the mother board, plug in another IDE cable -just to the second Hard Drive.

I always try to arrange IDE1 = main Hard drive (C: master) + DVDRW
IDE2 = secondary hard drive (D: ) + DVD if fitted
Use Master/slave in that order...

Status
Not open for further replies.