• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Hale

So your using the most unstable processor with the most unstable/safe Interent browser and your happy that way? That is more than likely your PC goes 'krank' as daily before you shut down, you must do the following tasks.

Run Ad-aware SE
Run Disk Defragmenter
Run Reg Cleaner
Run Spybot Search and Destroy
Run Tune-up Utilites

It may seem a lot of work, but its worth it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Run Ad-aware SE
Run Disk Defragmenter
Run Reg Cleaner
Run Tune-up Utilites

Poor windows users.

I get no adware or spyware. My system has no registry and it's filesystem defragments itself.

As for tune-ups, I just venture round deleting any trash every so often and flushing caches....

David

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
So your using the most unstable processor with the most unstable/safe Interent browser and your happy that way?

Gareth, it's called personal preference. If he's happy, then leave him be....

Gareth Hale said:
That is more than likely your PC goes 'krank' as daily before you shut down, you must do the following tasks.

Run Ad-aware SE
Run Disk Defragmenter
Run Reg Cleaner
Run Tune-up Utilites

Err, why must we do this before we shut down a PC?

Doing all that everytime you switch off a PC sounds like an excuse to stay on the PC.

Gareth Hale

60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
Gareth, it's called personal preference. If he's happy, then leave him be....

Err, why must we do this before we shut down a PC?

Doing all that everytime you switch off a PC sounds like an excuse to stay on the PC.

If you dont do it, Windows runs crap and you blame it on Windows when its actually the users fault!

H

HR2

Nick W said:
Poor windows users.

I get no adware or spyware. My system has no registry and it's filesystem defragments itself.

As for tune-ups, I just venture round deleting any trash every so often and flushing caches....

Nick what are you running that has no registry?

Gareth Hale

everything has a registry, without one, every time you start your programme, it will act like its just been installed.

Simming

Lets face it HR2,

If your computer aint gareth hales, or you do what gareth hale does to his computer, its going to be rubbesh :roll:

Nick W

Established Member
I'm running Mac OS X which keeps propeties in propeties (.plist) files, in the system's or user's Library directory. A program will create these on install, or on startup the first time if they have been "drag and drop installed".

The files are binary can can be converted to and from XML for editing.

The Windows Registry came into windows 95 and NT. Before then .ini files were used. However users complained that ini files were scattered and intidy, mainly because they weren't stored in a common place.

In Linux etc systems, the config files tend to be text formatted and stored in /etc. Since Mac OS X has a unix and BSD base, it also has main system configution stored /etc which is hidden to users for security.

Dave A

Gareth Hale said:
So your using the most unstable processor with the most unstable/safe Interent browser and your happy that way? That is more than likely your PC goes 'krank' as daily before you shut down, you must do the following tasks.

Run Ad-aware SE
Run Disk Defragmenter
Run Reg Cleaner
Run Tune-up Utilites

You do all this!? Thats quite sad...

I don't virus scan my PC every month, let alone every day, and when I do, I get nothing!

The rest of that is just a load of rubbish. You don't need to run all that, it sounds like you just want to!

And as for the browser argument, I prefer IE, but use Firefox for tabbed browsing. FF is slow, and has problems displaying webpages (not that its the browsers fault), but until a better tabbed browser comes along, Firefox it is! :)

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:

Run Ad-aware SE
Run Disk Defragmenter
Run Reg Cleaner
Run Tune-up Utilites

Just running ad-aware takes me 50 minutes to do a whole system scan.

Disk Defrag just crashes and dies.

Reg Cleaner is a 2 minute job.

Spybot isn't the most effective thing out there.

Tune-up Ultilies I don't use.

I would be all for Mac and Linux just the problem is money, money and money.

Thanks for your useless tips Gareth........

H

HR2

Simming said:
Lets face it HR2,

If your computer aint gareth hales, or you do what gareth hale does to his computer, its going to be rubbesh :roll:

I have no idea what Gareth does with is PC so I can't compare. I'm just a simple old soul that enjoys this forum and playing music from yonks ago

class 313

Established Member
Nick W said:
I'm running Mac OS X which keeps propeties in propeties (.plist) files, in the system's or user's Library directory. A program will create these on install, or on startup the first time if they have been "drag and drop installed".

The files are binary can can be converted to and from XML for editing.

The Windows Registry came into windows 95 and NT. Before then .ini files were used. However users complained that ini files were scattered and intidy, mainly because they weren't stored in a common place.

In Linux etc systems, the config files tend to be text formatted and stored in /etc. Since Mac OS X has a unix and BSD base, it also has main system configution stored /etc which is hidden to users for security.

When i get on the computer il upload a video of a person going nuts over mac os coz its ****, mac's drag n drop is pance coz when drag n drop into a folder the file isnt there. All the windoze users here (Including me) will laugh your socks of watching the video.

Nick W

Established Member
class 313 said:
When i get on the computer il upload a video of a person going nuts over mac os coz its ****, mac's drag n drop is pance coz when drag n drop into a folder the file isnt there. All the windoze users here (Including me) will laugh your socks of watching the video.
What about the windoze 95 BSOD video and the more recent media centre failure. Bill Gates must have been very embarrased.

mac's drag n drop is pance coz when drag n drop into a folder the file isnt there.
Never happened to me

But on a windows computer it's possible to accident drag stuff into the cookie folder or temp folders for an early death.

Simming

David V2 said:
And as for the browser argument, I prefer IE, but use Firefox for tabbed browsing. FF is slow, and has problems displaying webpages (not that its the browsers fault), but until a better tabbed browser comes along, Firefox it is! :)

ive got firefox 2 beta, its alot faster, and theres certain firefox niggles have now gone in the new one. like you can get links to always open in new tabs, instead of windows, and you dont get the pop up when you cant connect to a page for some reason.

Much better

class 313

Established Member
Nick W said:
What about the windoze 95 BSOD video and the more recent media centre failure. Bill Gates must have been very embarrased.

Never happened to me

But on a windows computer it's possible to accident drag stuff into the cookie folder or temp folders for an early death.
That was windows 95... not XP or Vista

I bring funnyness to the argument

Enjoy!

Dave A

Simming said:
ive got firefox 2 beta, its alot faster, and theres certain firefox niggles have now gone in the new one. like you can get links to always open in new tabs, instead of windows, and you dont get the pop up when you cant connect to a page for some reason.

Much better

Agreed! Been using it for about half-an-hour, and it seems faster than FF1, and IE6! Still a few display problems, but it has improved slightly :)

I tried Opera as well, and can't stand it. It doesn't follow the standard browser format, and is just too complicated for viewing a webpage! :roll:

Tom B

Established Member
HR2 said:
I have no idea what Gareth does with is PC so I can't compare. I'm just a simple old soul that enjoys this forum and playing music from yonks ago

Precisely - this is the point some people seem to be missing. Its all well and good arguing over which processor is better for Gareth's supposed super-computer or for playing 3d games, but if the user is only after browsing the forum and playing music their priorities are going to be different!

Gareth Hale said:
If you dont do it, Windows runs crap and you blame it on Windows when its actually the users fault!

For not spending hours tidying up after Windows and plugging its holes. Thats the sort of thing sysadmins are paid to do, not what you'd want to do in your spare time...

Simming

David V2 said:
Agreed! Been using it for about half-an-hour, and it seems faster than FF1, and IE6! Still a few display problems, but it has improved slightly :)

I tried Opera as well, and can't stand it. It doesn't follow the standard browser format, and is just too complicated for viewing a webpage! :roll:

I managed to get a skin that decreases the size of everything up there ^^^^^^ which gives a larger page view.

class 313

Established Member
Well really all you gotta do is right click the link then click open in new tab... simple. Anyone enjoy the video?

Gareth Hale

Chaz said:
Just running ad-aware takes me 50 minutes to do a whole system scan.

Disk Defrag just crashes and dies.

Reg Cleaner is a 2 minute job.

Spybot isn't the most effective thing out there.

Tune-up Ultilies I don't use.

I would be all for Mac and Linux just the problem is money, money and money.

Thanks for your useless tips Gareth........

Takes your computer too long to do anything

Ad-aware SE = 1 Min 25 Secs full scan

Disk Defrag = 45 Secs

Rec Cleaner = 10 Secs

Spybot = 3 Minutes

Tune-up = 1 Minute

Guinness

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:

Not really. My computer expections are quite different to yours.....

I'm on 1.7Ghz and your on some American Power Machine that drinks Electricity likes there's no tomorrow.

Tom B

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:

Ad-aware SE = 1 Min 25 Secs full scan

Disk Defrag = 45 Secs

Rec Cleaner = 10 Secs

Spybot = 3 Minutes

Tune-up = 1 Minute

You cannot defragment a HDD as big as yours claims to be in 45 seconds, neither can you scan it proeprly in 1 minute 25. What a load of nonsense.

Ben

Tom B said:
You cannot defragment a HDD as big as yours claims to be in 45 seconds, neither can you scan it proeprly in 1 minute 25. What a load of nonsense.
Tom the Word you are looking for is not nonsense - It's Bull****!

Gareth stop talking Bull****!

Nick W

Established Member
If you can defrag in 45 seconds, could you wipe the drive in 15 seconds?

I'd like to see his dive wiped by a virus in 15 seconds.

Gareth Hale

Tom B said:
Ill show you on remote assistance if you dont belive me
[EDIT]
158 said:
Tom the Word you are looking for is not nonsense - It's Bull****!

Gareth stop talking Bull****!
Have you used my PC. errr no, how the **** do you know if its true or not if you have never seen it in use!

H

HR2

Someone lock this bloody thread!!

It's turned into a damn fight between Gareth and others yet again. When will you lot learn that this is NOT a damn boxing ring for you to have scraps in. If you wanna fight do it with pm's NOT on here. I, for one am sick of seeing these bloody arguments and petty squabbles. So if you think you are grown up THEN ACT IT and stop this nonsense ALL OF YOU.

Gareth Hale

THE PROBLEM IS THAT I GIVE HELP, AND I DONT KEEP STUFF QUIET, I JUST SAY WHAT IS ON MY MIND, AND IF PEOPLE DONT LIKE IT, THEN TUFF! THEN PEOPLE ARGUE ABOUT MY COMPUTER WHEN THEY HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN IT IN THEIR LIFE BEFORE, I DO NOT TOLERATE PEOPLE WHO ARGUE ABOUT MY STUFF WHEN THEY DONT EVEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT. GROW UP, ALL OF YOU AND IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME SAYING THAT, TELL ME, DONT HOLD IT IN!

Time to lock this thred please and to put it behind us :)

Sorry for the yelling.

Dave A

HR2 said:
Someone lock this bloody thread!!

It's turned into a damn fight between Gareth and others yet again. When will you lot learn that this is NOT a damn boxing ring for you to have scraps in. If you wanna fight do it with pm's NOT on here. I, for one am sick of seeing these bloody arguments and petty squabbles. So if you think you are grown up THEN ACT IT and stop this nonsense ALL OF YOU.

BECAUSE GARETH TALKS LOADS OF BULL**** AND IT ****ES ALL US OFF! :cussing: :roll: :protest:

Status
Not open for further replies.