• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Concessionary Pass Validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexometh

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew wether it was possible to use a concessionary travel pass to cover a part of a rail journey.
I am looking at travelling from Broad Green to Manchester Piccadilly, would it be possible to use my concessionary travel pass up until the Merseytravel/GMPTE border at Newton-le-Willows, and just pay for my fare from NLW onwards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew wether it was possible to use a concessionary travel pass to cover a part of a rail journey.
I am looking at travelling from Broad Green to Manchester Piccadilly, would it be possible to use my concessionary travel pass up until the Merseytravel/GMPTE border at Newton-le-Willows, and just pay for my fare from NLW onwards.
As minor point of order, the Liverpool-Manchester "Chat Moss" route briefly runs through the unity authority of Warrington Borough between Newton-le-Willows (NLW) and Patricroft. Specifically, it crosses into Greater Manchester just after NLW, then into Warrington Borough abeam Lowton/Lane Head, then back into GM just after Glazebury. Therefore Newton-le-Willows is not considered a GMPTE boundary station - this means the fares are more expensive than those from Wigan, despite the latter being further from Manchester city centre.

That technicality aside, yes you can combine your concessionary pass with another ticket. And, unless the terms of your pass specify otherwise, your train doesn't need to stop at the station where you change tickets - this is because concessionary passes are considered equivalent to season tickets and, accordingly, it is considered reasonable for people to want to travel to a further destination without having to 'pay again' for the covered part of the journey.

Walkup returns from NLW to Manchester range from £7.60 for a TPE only Off-Peak Day Return, to £9.60 for an Any Permitted Anytime Day Return. You may be eligible for a Railcard to reduce this by a third.

dexometh

Thank you for the thorough reply, apologies for my statement that NLW is a boundary station of Merseyrail and GMPTE, it would have made more sense to say it was just the boundary of the validity for my concessionary pass. Rather interesting to hear about the passage through Warrington Borough Council authority though I didn't know this.

In regards to fares I'd probably be purchasing an Northern off-peak day return from NLW-MAN with my disabled railcard in advance as I'm travelling this Saturday, for £5.30.

The only discrepancy I'm aware about is the need to tap in and out of stations as this is not possible without alighting at NLW, however I doubt this will in practice be enforced regardless, as tapping in and out on validators with concessionary passes is a relatively new addition to Merseyrail's operations

gray1404

Established Member
There is no requirement to tap in and tap out when using a Merseytravel issued concessionary travel pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.