• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Concessionary ticket within West Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've just noticed this ticket on the METRO website.

West Yorkshire Concessionary Train DayRover
for one child (aged 5 to 15) or other concessionary passenger.

My question is can I buy one of these? I'm a GMPTE pass holder, but there seems to be no indication of residency on the web page and they are available to Children who wouldn't have any pass to show?

The only thing I can find on the ticket is "Train-only DayRovers and Concessionary DayRovers are available from staffed rail stations or on the train if the ticket office is closed. They are not available from Travel Centres or Post Offices".

Page at http://www.wymetro.com/TicketsAndPasses/moresavings/WestYorkshireDayRover/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Whilst it doesn't make it clear on the Metro website (which isn't unusual, sadly), information in the rail staff "Manual" is that you have to have a West Yorkshire Scholars, Senior or Disabled Pass to be able to get the concessionary DayRover.

brompton rail

Hi,
I've just noticed this ticket on the METRO website.

West Yorkshire Concessionary Train DayRover
for one child (aged 5 to 15) or other concessionary passenger.

My question is can I buy one of these? I'm a GMPTE pass holder, but there seems to be no indication of residency on the web page and they are available to Children who wouldn't have any pass to show?

The only thing I can find on the ticket is "Train-only DayRovers and Concessionary DayRovers are available from staffed rail stations or on the train if the ticket office is closed. They are not available from Travel Centres or Post Offices".

Page at http://www.wymetro.com/TicketsAndPasses/moresavings/WestYorkshireDayRover/

As far as I am aware the only other Concessionary Passes valid in West Yorkshire are South Yorkshire ones. They are only valid on through Northern trains from South Yorkshire to West Yorkshire, and only valid to that train's destination in West Yorkshire, and not beyond (I.e. No changes).

This means ......
Doncaster - Leeds stoppers
Sheffield - Leeds via Dearne stoppers
Sheffield - Barnsley -Wakefield Kirkgate -Leeds trains
Sheffield - Barnsley -Penistone - Huddersfield
And Sheffield -Pontefract Baghill (but no further) on the Sheffield - York trains
South Yorkshire PTE pay for this, and it is valid from 09.00 (all day at Weekends).

South Yorkshire PTE are also generous to Concessionary Pass holders from elsewhere in England as they may travel on Supertram for free (also from 09.00).WY passes were, at one time, also valid into SY, but that's was abolished some years back

Therefore short of moving to South Yorkshire you will have to pay full train fare in West Yorks, and to get into West Yorks, as there are no common boundary station GM / WY. The 3 boundary stations SY / WY are in WY, but SY passes/ tickets extend to them. Therefore a journey between SY and WY using SY Travelmaster (PTE season/travel card) and WY Metrocard (PTE season/travel card) is possible as long as the train stops at the shared boundary station.

Complicated ain't it!

34D

Established Member
Whilst it doesn't make it clear on the Metro website (which isn't unusual, sadly), information in the rail staff "Manual" is that you have to have a West Yorkshire Scholars, Senior or Disabled Pass to be able to get the concessionary DayRover.

Agreed. The WYPTE staff ticket guide states the same, also.

John @ home

Established Member
The 3 boundary stations SY / WY are in WY, but SY passes/ tickets extend to them.
Three of the four boundary stations (Denby Dale, Moorthorpe and South Elmsall) are in West Yorkshire. The fourth, Darton, is in South Yorkshire. brompton rail is correct that both South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire tickets are valid at these stations.

Thanks, just as I had expected even if it wasn't stated. I can still get the more expensive, but good value, ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.