• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Condition 14.2 - Merseytravel PTE tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm14

"If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not need to call at that station for your combination to be valid."

Do Merseytravel Saveaway and Merseytravel Trio tickets fall under this - do I need a ticket from the train's last stop in Merseyside, or from the last station in Merseyside on the relevant line?

The tickets are "daily zonal tickets" and "season tickets" respectively, but they're PTE tickets and not normal rail tickets (and neither are issued on rail stock any more), so it's not clear to me if that still applies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Saveaways can still be purchased on regular ticket stock, but from staffed stations outside of Merseyside.

Daft, really.

You may use a ticket beginning at the last stop within the Saveaway zone (it’s a ‘zonal’ ticket). The train does not need to call at the boundary station for the combination to be valid.

For example, a Saveaway plus a Garswood - Wigan ticket is valid on trains to Wigan which do not call at Garswood.

danm14

Saveaways can still be purchased on regular ticket stock, but from staffed stations outside of Merseyside.

Are these still going to be accepted by bus drivers? I know they're still valid but would I be likely to get "Is that real? They've all been on Walrus cards for months" on every bus I take because the drivers don't see many now?

You may use a ticket beginning at the last stop within the Saveaway zone (it’s a ‘zonal’ ticket). The train does not need to call at the boundary station for the combination to be valid.

Does this apply to a Weekly Trio ticket also?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Are these still going to be accepted by bus drivers?
Yes.

They’ll still be seeing them frequently as Northern / ATW / Virgin / LM / EMT / TPE train staff and ticket offices within Merseyside do not issue Walrus cards.
Does this apply to a Weekly Trio ticket also?
Yes.

The old Conditions excluded PTE products from non-stop splits, but the new Conditions have removed that exclusion.

Last edited:

danm14

Yes.

They’ll still be seeing them frequently as Northern / ATW / Virgin / LM / EMT train staff and ticket offices within Merseyside do not issue Walrus cards.

Yes.

The old Conditions excluded PTE products from non-stop splits, but the new Conditions have removed that exclusion.

Good to know. Would most train staff around Liverpool be aware of this (I'm assuming so) or should I expect a discussion about whether it's valid or not?

danm14

Somewhat off-topic, but when combining a season/ranger ticket with a ticket that only becomes valid at a certain time (such as an Off-Peak or some Railcard tickets) - how do you know if the time-sensitive ticket is valid, as the train won't have an advertised departure time from the station the split is at?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Somewhat off-topic, but when combining a season/ranger ticket with a ticket that only becomes valid at a certain time (such as an Off-Peak or some Railcard tickets) - how do you know if the time-sensitive ticket is valid, as the train won't have an advertised departure time from the station the split is at?
It is widely believed that the only sensible interpretation is that you must pass through the splitting point at a time where your second ticket is valid. Sites such as www.realtimetrains.co.uk can show the exact time that a train is scheduled to pass through each station. As long as the train is scheduled to pass through the split station at or after the earliest valid time, you're OK.

Established Member
I can’t envision a problem on other TOCs, providing you are able to quote/show the Conditions if needed.

Only one incident since the rule change (14.2) - with a confused geordie TPE guard who didn't quite get the two products working together. To settle a bet, rather than ring their control who would likely stitch him up, one call to another TPE guard put him right.

Status
Not open for further replies.