• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Condition 19c + accommodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Suppose one holds a First Class period ticket, but only holds a Standard Class extension. For example, a First Class season ticket from Peterborough to Hadley Wood, with a Standard Class Day Return from Hadley Wood to Kings Cross.

If travelling on an East Coast service to London, at what points in the journey can they occupy First Class?

In this situation, only a Standard Class extension is available. Suppose the splitting point changes to Potters Bar, where a FDR to London is available. If the person chooses to buy the SDR instead, would the answer be the same?

Interested in gauging opinions on this.

Whilst I'm here, it appears that East Coast are still selling season tickets with Maltese Crosses on them. They were supposed to have been abolished quite some time ago!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You can only sit in first class for the distance that you have paid for first class accommodation. If you travel beyond that distance you may be liable for an excess fare/upgrade to first class or Penalty Fare as appropriate.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can only sit in first class for the distance that you have paid for first class accommodation. If you travel beyond that distance you may be liable for an excess fare/upgrade to first class or Penalty Fare as appropriate.

How do you work out when to move? Look out the window until you see Hadley Wood going flying past?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well, you'd have to be out of first class before your ticket runs out, but yeah, that is a good way of doing it.

calc7

Established Member
I wonder if a KGX-somewhere in the zones FDS and a STD season thereafter would legitimately permit you to a drink and punt at getting some food on a northbound.

cuccir

Established Member
How do you work out when to move? Look out the window until you see Hadley Wood going flying past?

By the letter of the law, I'd guess so.

In practice, I'd have thought that most members of staff would show discretion here. Unless, of course, you'd got yourself a reputation for using unusual tickets along the line and as a result there were staff interested in getting you ;)

Established Member
There's been a few times on EC where I've had food and drink in 1st without a ticket check, so it certainly is possible.

calc7

Established Member
By the letter of the law, I'd guess so.

In practice, I'd have thought that most members of staff would show discretion here. Unless, of course, you'd got yourself a reputation for using unusual tickets along the line and as a result there were staff interested in getting you ;)

What discretion can be shown here exactly?

If you take what I think you are saying to its extreme, you sit in 1ST for the entire journey!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
If it were me, I would suggest that you would only be allowed in First Class until the last station the train stopped at where the First Class ticket was valid. For example, if you had Peterborough to Welwyn GC First Class season, then a Standard Class Day Return from Welwyn GC to Kings Cross - if the train stopped at Welwyn GC then you could travel First as far as Welwyn GC, going into Standard thereafter. If the train stopped at Stevenage, then fast to Kings Cross, then you could travel First Class Peterborough to Stevenage, and Standard Class thereafter. If the train you were on was non stop from Peterborough to Kings Cross then you would travel Standard Class throughout.

calc7

Established Member
If it were me, I would suggest that you would only be allowed in First Class until the last station the train stopped at where the First Class ticket was valid. For example, if you had Peterborough to Welwyn GC First Class season, then a Standard Class Day Return from Welwyn GC to Kings Cross - if the train stopped at Welwyn GC then you could travel First as far as Welwyn GC, going into Standard thereafter. If the train stopped at Stevenage, then fast to Kings Cross, then you could travel First Class Peterborough to Stevenage, and Standard Class thereafter. If the train you were on was non stop from Peterborough to Kings Cross then you would travel Standard Class throughout.

I'm not suggesting this is wrong - but is there evidence which points you to that interpretation?

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I'm not suggesting this is wrong - but is there evidence which points you to that interpretation?

Not that I know of, but neither is there evidence that you should look out of the window when doing 100mph to spot a blur outside then move into Standard Class at that point. The precedent and nearest source of guidance would be, I suppose, the general rules regarding split tickets which don't involve season tickets, i.e. When the train must stop at the changeover station. Whilst this is not definitive, as obviously the season ticket ruling is a bit different, it is the nearest source of relevant guidance I can think of.

RJ

Established Member
Ok, following on from that logic: what if you're on a First Class ALR, with a SDS from London to South Hampstead, leaving Euston before 10:00. If the train's first stop is Warrington Bank Quay, should the passenger occupy First Class at all?

I appreciate that normally such questions are of a hypothetical nature, but I have actually done that in the past. To throw a bit of spice into the mix, the SDS to SOH was Priv discounted whereas the rover was not. This may well have had a bearing on whether or not I should have accepted the full breakfast!

cuccir

Established Member
What discretion can be shown here exactly?

If you take what I think you are saying to its extreme, you sit in 1ST for the entire journey!

Discretion to stay in first until the next stop on the journey.

I agree that this gets more complicated on long-distance trains which do not stop, however.

34D

Established Member

So if you are denying this passenger access to first class from Stevenage to Welwyn or wherever, does that mean that NRCOC clause 38 (travelling in std on a first class ticket) would come into play for a partial refund?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is no hard and fast rule as to what should happen if this is what the OP is interested in, therefore what will happen depends on the member of staff encountered. I am not even going to try to second-guess what would happen.

I have been allowed to sit in First throughout on the WAG-express with a Standard extension before by an ATW guard. That remains my only experience of this nature. I asked him before occupying First Class accommodation.

Flamingo

Established Member
As with everything, if the passenger is proactive in asking us, there is more chance of an outcome they will like...

Status
Not open for further replies.