• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conditional Offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

atochopefull

Has anyone had experience recently of receiving a job offer only to then be told by the TOC that due to Covid the offer was being rescinded? Worried about resigning from my current job in troubled times in case this happens? Or once you’ve accepted the offer is the TOC contractually bound to take you on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Has anyone had experience recently of receiving a job offer only to then be told by the TOC that due to Covid the offer was being rescinded? Worried about resigning from my current job in troubled times in case this happens? Or once you’ve accepted the offer is the TOC contractually bound to take you on?
You do not have a job until you have signed and returned your contract.

Jimbo12345

Personally I would be very hesitant joining the railway industry at the moment . Life is not as we know it and there is no indication when/if it ever will be. No one knows when/if the days of packed trains will return and the gov will look for massive reform to justify the nearly £1 billion a month the railways currently cost. Just my thoughts on the situation. Do not resign if you are safe where you are.

ElmPark

Are you able to take a "career break" from your current role? That may be the safety net that you need - ideally the railway career then all falls into place and you've no worries, but should the worst happen you could return to your current job .... Just a thought ...

the sniper

Established Member
Personally I would be very hesitant joining the railway industry at the moment . Life is not as we know it and there is no indication when/if it ever will be. No one knows when/if the days of packed trains will return and the gov will look for massive reform to justify the nearly £1 billion a month the railways currently cost. Just my thoughts on the situation. Do not resign if you are safe where you are.

Entirely depends on the job. If it's a Driver job with a TOC you'd probably been turning down a rare, relatively very secure opportunity, for jobs that may not be so readily available in a few years.

Though there's a least one TOC where new Drivers haven't been issued a Contract to sign for years, as terms are still in dispute.

Roger1973

If the offer is still conditional (pending things like references / medical and so on) then I'd say it's definitely not time to resign from current job, only when you've got it on paper and a start date has been agreed is it time for that. With some jobs, even once they have gone through the references etc it can be a while before a start date comes along (if it's the sort of role where they do a set number of training courses each year, for example.)

And in the current situation, even then, it would be worth having a talk with (new) employer about how they are going to handle you starting / training in whatever phase of lockdown it is then (bearing in mind that whatever lockdown rules are in place at the time you get the offer may not be the same by your starting date.)

I had a couple of conditional offers in early spring this year (one railway, one other) - one was withdrawn entirely, the other got deferred and in the end I did not feel confident starting a new job and learning new systems etc entirely on 'work from home' basis so declined rather than risk getting laid off after a few weeks if it didn't work.

My understanding (subject to the disclaimer that I am not a lawyer) is that once you have got something 'on paper' and signed it, then both parties can still give notice before employment actually starts, and generally speaking, there are few rights to claim unfair dismissal or redundancy pay if you've been employed less than 2 years. Many years ago a new employer went bust a few days before I was due to start there, and there was not a lot I could do about it other than get to the job centre.

Ultimately (once you do get a firm offer) then it's going to be a case of balancing how keen you are on the potential new job, how secure your current job is, what the chances are of getting a similar opportunity on the railways when / if things are back to normal if you turn this down now, what your chances are of getting back in to your current line of work (or at least of getting another job) if the new job doesn't last, and whether your finances and circumstances are such that you can afford to take a risk. I'm not expecting you to go in to detail on any of this in public, of course.

atochopefull

If the offer is still conditional (pending things like references / medical and so on) then I'd say it's definitely not time to resign from current job, only when you've got it on paper and a start date has been agreed is it time for that. With some jobs, even once they have gone through the references etc it can be a while before a start date comes along (if it's the sort of role where they do a set number of training courses each year, for example.)

And in the current situation, even then, it would be worth having a talk with (new) employer about how they are going to handle you starting / training in whatever phase of lockdown it is then (bearing in mind that whatever lockdown rules are in place at the time you get the offer may not be the same by your starting date.)

I had a couple of conditional offers in early spring this year (one railway, one other) - one was withdrawn entirely, the other got deferred and in the end I did not feel confident starting a new job and learning new systems etc entirely on 'work from home' basis so declined rather than risk getting laid off after a few weeks if it didn't work.

My understanding (subject to the disclaimer that I am not a lawyer) is that once you have got something 'on paper' and signed it, then both parties can still give notice before employment actually starts, and generally speaking, there are few rights to claim unfair dismissal or redundancy pay if you've been employed less than 2 years. Many years ago a new employer went bust a few days before I was due to start there, and there was not a lot I could do about it other than get to the job centre.

Ultimately (once you do get a firm offer) then it's going to be a case of balancing how keen you are on the potential new job, how secure your current job is, what the chances are of getting a similar opportunity on the railways when / if things are back to normal if you turn this down now, what your chances are of getting back in to your current line of work (or at least of getting another job) if the new job doesn't last, and whether your finances and circumstances are such that you can afford to take a risk. I'm not expecting you to go in to detail on any of this in public, of course.
Thanks for your considered reply. Medical passed and I have a start date and references won’t be an issue. Have a couple of weeks before I need to hand in my notice, so I’ll have plenty to think about over Christmas!

Stigy

Established Member
I didn’t hand in my notice until I received a formal offer. This was pre COVID, but I’d still have done it at that point.

I think the railway is as safe as most other industries all things considered.

StaffsPM1

if it helps, I was offered a job during the first lockdown. Joined and then was paid to sit at home for months why they decided about how training was going to progress. I think you will be ok. The worse option would be to not give notice in your previous role. I have had to do this before and it just essentially means I won't ever get a job at that employer. Just my thought

Status
Not open for further replies.