• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conditions for refunds on Advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

Now i know that according to the letter of the law, I'm in the wrong, but this still p****s me off. I had been going to see my rugby team play in Wakefield on Saturday afternoon, as it's the last game of the regular season. However, the RFL switched the game to the friday night and i can no longer go (I'm on another NXEC train back from Edinburgh when the match kicks off). However, as my tickets (going with a friend) are standard advance singles I can't get the £34.70 i paid out back. Do TOCs not need to establish a clear policy on these tickets, as nothing came up during purchase (on nationalexpresseastcoast.com) that they were non-refundable fares.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
It should be mentioned that they are not refundable... certainly any time I've booked them I've been fully aware that "Advance" tickets are about as flexible as metal, but then again that might just be because I know that anyway.

I tried "booking" an Advance ticket to see what came up, but the site couldn't connect to the National Reservations System, apparently. However, it does quite clearly state on the ticket that it is valid "Booked Train Only". AIUI, you can usually get a refund minus a certain fee for each ticket, or change tickets for a similar fee, but I'm not sure how exactly that works for your tickets.

rail-britain

Established Member
Refunds can not be made
Changes can only be given on unused Advance tickets AND before the departure date/time
If you are unable to travel, then claim on your Travel Insurance policy, if you have one

Refund fees seem to vary
I had a refund fee of £5.00 on a Saver Return as I cancelled the day before, but I have heard of refund fees of £15.00 where one portion of the ticket has already been used

First class

Established Member
A refund will not be made, but if you go to a NXEC ticket office, they should be able to rebook your ticket, but you may have to pay an administration fee, and any additional cost between the value of your current ticket and your new one. That is subject to availability of course. Alternatively, I suppose you could sell your ticket to someone waiting for the same train at the station, on the day? If your ticket has expired, then unfourtunately they're worthless.

The NRCoC state that these Advance tickets are likely to have little, or no refund value. You can't really get much more clearer than that. The conditions are available at all staffed ticket offices, and on every train company's website, as well as Nationalrail.com, ATOC, DfT and some rail user groups.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Do TOCs not need to establish a clear policy on these tickets, as nothing came up during purchase (on nationalexpresseastcoast.com) that they were non-refundable fares.

I think you're wrong when you say nothing comes up - when you highlight the train you're booking on (which you have to do), it comes up with a red outline box. with your train and ticket details. At the bottom of the box, it says, quite clearly "Valid only on your chosen service. Not refundable. Can be changed prior to date of travel for a fee."

Status
Not open for further replies.