• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor: Any chance with drink drive conviction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flick

Will I be able to get a job as a conductor as I have a drink drive conviction from a couple of years ago

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red1980

If I'm totally honest, especially given the time frame since the conviction......I'd be very surprised if you'd be successful in obtaining a safety critical role.

It's in your favour that it's not an act of dishonesty,or theft or fraud per say but they'll definitely see that as a severe error in judgement on your part.

some TOCs are part of schemes where recruiting ex offenders is something they look at, but I'm not sure if that's aimed at those who've served custodial sentences and seen to have been rehabilitated under strict supervision.

I'd ask them direct and see if you're that unsure. But given this industry is huge on drug and alcohol policies they'll unfortunately for you, see you as high risk I'd of thought.

Last edited:

Flick

If I'm totally honest, especially given the time frame since the conviction......I'd be very surprised if you'd be successful in obtaining a safety critical role.

It's in your favour that it's not an act of dishonesty or fraud per say but they'll definitely see that as a severe error in judgement on your part.

some TOCs are part of schemes where recruiting ex offenders is something they look at, but I'm not sure if that's aimed at those who've served custodial sentences.

I'd ask them direct and see if you're that unsure.

It's in your favour that it's not an act of dishonesty,or theft or fraud per say but they'll definitely see that as a severe error in judgement on your part.

some TOCs are part of schemes where recruiting ex offenders is something they look at, but I'm not sure if that's aimed at those who've served custodial sentences.

I'd ask them direct and see if you're that unsure.
Will I be able to get a job as a conductor as I have a drink drive conviction from a couple of years ago
Aww that’s a shame thank you

All they ask for you to declare is unspent convictions.
Yours is spent so you don’t have to declare it.
Check on the job application and then Google unspent convictions. You’ll be fine.

Salesy

All they ask for you to declare is unspent convictions.
Yours is spent so you don’t have to declare it.
Check on the job application and then Google unspent convictions. You’ll be fine.

To my knowledge, disqualifications are spent once they are up, but points (endorsements) are not spent until 5 years after conviction.

Gemz91

I've known a conductor who got caught drink driving and kept their job (has since lost it though). But I've also heard of people being turned down for jobs once their police check has come through (no idea what).

Not really much help there. I'd still apply if I was you. If its a no its a no, but if its a yes, you'll never know until you apply.

heedfan

With the greatest of respect, allow me to save you some time. The answer is no. This is an extremely competitive industry and any minor issue with your application can mean you miss out, let alone a conviction for something which is a such a massive no-no as drink driving. Feel free to apply of course, but I would be stunned if you were given a job given such a recent conviction. Sorry to be so blunt.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
With the greatest of respect, allow me to save you some time. The answer is no. This is an extremely competitive industry and any minor issue with your application can mean you miss out, let alone a conviction for something which is a such a massive no-no as drink driving. Feel free to apply of course, but I would be stunned if you were given a job given such a recent conviction. Sorry to be so blunt.

Unless you're in charge of HR in the TOC said person is applying for then you can't know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

fabs

Deleted due to me giving duff information.
Sorry

Last edited:

Chumba

The conviction is NOT spent! The rehabilitation period for disqualification is 5 years, Therefore if the matter was only a couple of years ago it will be unspent. (Because of the endorsement)

drink driving is a recordable offence (as in you can go to prison)

it will also stay on your driving licence for 11 years.

a quick look at the rehabilitation of offenders act or the NACRO web site will confirm the information for you. A basic DBS check WILL show this information to your prospective employer. If you failed to declare it at application they will find out and I’m sure they wont progress it any further.

If you want to go for the job you would need to declare it.

Red1980

As the position doesn't involve caring for children or vulnerable adults all I believe they can do is a Basic DBS check, which does not show spent convictions, if that's any help?

True. But there's been a few occasions in recent times where people haven't declared things only for someone to see something in a newspaper or online and it make its way back to the employer leading to sanctions later.

It's one of the things that if you get caught doing whilst employed by a TOC must be declared to them. Well for drivers anyway so it's definitely looked upon seriously.

I wouldn't apply for this without declaring it.

Last edited:

fabs

If you are no longer disqualified from driving and paid the fine more than a year ago then the conviction is spent.
There’s no such thing as a lost cause. If you perform well during the selection phase there’s no reason you can’t get the job.

The conviction is NOT spent! The rehabilitation period for disqualification is 5 years, Therefore if the matter was only a couple of years ago it will be unspent. (Because of the endorsement)

drink driving is a recordable offence (as in you can go to prison)

it will also stay on your driving licence for 11 years.

a quick look at the rehabilitation of offenders act or the NACRO web site will confirm the information for you. A basic DBS check WILL show this information to your prospective employer. If you failed to declare it at application they will find out and I’m sure they wont progress it any further.

If you want to go for the job you would need to declare it.

Yes, please accept my apologies I actually didn’t consider the endorsement (so 5 years). You are legally bound to declare it, but please still go for it if it’s what you really want

Mention it on your covering letter, explain that you are now a changed person etc..... Everyone deserves another chance.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Evening

As an ex-police officer myself I can confirm that a drink driving conviction is declarable for five years from the date of conviction (Court appearance). It does however stay on your driving licence for 11 years with a DR10 marker. When applying for jobs you must always declare it until the 5th anniversary has passed.

In terms of applying to be a guard or a conductor I would say go for it as you've nothing to lose!!! If your driving licence has been reinstated then I personally cannot see what the issue would be - the biggest factor is when you are actually banned and the TOC may draw inferences in how you would get to work at unsociable hours. Once you are back behind the wheel you are half way there.

As we all know, being a conductor falls under the safety critical list so you would have to pass the medical and declare any alcohol issues. That said, just because you have been potted for drink driving doesn't mean you are alcohol dependant but it's one to bare in mind.

In terms of being a train driver - I would forget it until your conviction is at least spent. A TOC wouldn't touch you with a barge pole if you applied. As I've said I cannot see why you shouldn't be allow the chance to be a guard or train manager.

Drink driving is wrong and many people lose their lives because of it and many others suffer life changing consequences (whether it be permanent disability or losing a job). As a former cop I can confirm this, but everyone of us on this forum is human and makes mistakes and we all should at least be allowed to move on without being judged too much.

Good luck and all the best.

CJ

Sammy2019

Please see this guide https://www.gov.uk/exoffenders-and-employment

it depends on what your sentence was. If you were given a fine or community order then the offence is spent one year after the date of conviction. That means if your conviction is spent then you do not need to declare it.

In short, you do not need to declare this for a standard DBS check.

Chumba

Please see this guide https://www.gov.uk/exoffenders-and-employment

it depends on what your sentence was. If you were given a fine or community order then the offence is spent one year after the date of conviction. That means if your conviction is spent then you do not need to declare it.

In short, you do not need to declare this for a standard DBS check.

@Sammy2019 please see the above from myself, @fabs and C J Snarzell. The conviction is NOT spent. As it was a disqualification and endorsement it is unspent for 5 years, and would show up on a standard DBS check until spent. So if asked it would need to be declared.

@Sammy2019 please see the above from myself, @fabs and C J Snarzell. The conviction is NOT spent. As it was a disqualification and endorsement it is unspent for 5 years, and would show up on a standard DBS check until spent. So if asked it would need to be declared.

Sorry but where does it state that it is an unspent conviction in the link you quoted?

and under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, it IS spent. Can’t comment on DBS check but all the jobs I’ve looked into recently just ask of any unspent convictions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

Chumba

Sorry but where does it state that it is an unspent conviction in the link you quoted?

and under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, it IS spent. Can’t comment on DBS check but all the jobs I’ve looked into recently just ask of any unspent convictions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

It doesn't and my reply doesn't say that I am merely providing the background information as to why the matter WILL show on a DBS check, where the post states it won't. Again your comment that it is spent is incorrect. Rather than look at web pages/ sites with abridged information, look at the actual legislation, certain driving offences (including drink driving) which carry endorsements have a 5yr rehabilitation period as does this matter.

So the conviction IS NOT spent until 5 years after date of conviction (it is to do with the endorsements applied)

I wont comment anymore, the OP asked for advice and I have given it based on my many years of experience and my day job working within the DBS arena and making these decisions. Although soon to be a signaller :)

The OP is free to take the advice given by myself and others or not. His/her decision.

Last edited:

Red1980

I personally endorse the idea of everybody deserving a second chance wholeheartedly but it's probably time we take a step away from what's spent and what isn't and have a look at the common sense and reality side to it for a minute.

Given that no one seems to have a definitive answer as to whether this needs to be declared or not surely common sense says if he's going to apply just declare it. He will have been honest from the start and at least he'll know A- if successful he'll of got the job on merit and his honesty paid off or B- if unsuccessful it'll be pretty obvious why.

There's plenty of examples of people being pulled out of classrooms whilst training or marched off the company premises because things haven't been declared and they've found out later.....why risk it?

Reality/honesty wise. We all know that a person's character has a huge impact on how they fair within the recruitment process, and while I'm sure this person is a really decent bloke who's learned his lesson, TOCs who've thousands of applicants to choose from and the general public to protect will probably look at it differently, they'll see someone who at one point made a severe error in judgement.

They'll be looking at it from a safety critical/ insurance standpoint and unfortunately will probably see someone with this background as high risk. The crazy thing is like I said earlier there's probably more chance if he'd of had a custodial sentence as TOCS run schemes for people who've served time.

I'd genuinely love a success story to come of this....I just see it as unlikely given how short an amount of time has passed.

JLyons

There seems to be a lot of debate about this, even people saying to ring the employer and ask them!

it’s simple;

if your conviction is spent, you don’t need to declare it or say anything, so as far as the employer is concerned you’re no different than any other applicant.

if it isn’t spent then you need to declare it and have slim to no chance of getting the job (if you don’t declare it would show ok background checks anyway)

Not sure if your conviction is spent or not? Check this link....

https://www.gov.uk/exoffenders-and-employment

Belperpete

Established Member
A conductor role is not one that you can walk straight into - the TOCs invest a lot of time and money training people to do the job. And as has already been mentioned, there are a lot of applicants, so the TOCs are very choosy about who they take on. If you are rejected out of hand at a first application, for whatever reason, in such a competitive process it could well affect any subsequent applications you make. So, depending on exactly how long ago the "couple of years ago" are, it might be worth waiting until the five years are up before applying, so that you don't ever have to mention it.

Also, I believe that the five years are from the date of the court order, not from the date that the offence happened.

Established Member
Evening

As an ex-police officer myself I can confirm that a drink driving conviction is declarable for five years from the date of conviction (Court appearance). It does however stay on your driving licence for 11 years with a DR10 marker. When applying for jobs you must always declare it until the 5th anniversary has passed.

In terms of applying to be a guard or a conductor I would say go for it as you've nothing to lose!!! If your driving licence has been reinstated then I personally cannot see what the issue would be - the biggest factor is when you are actually banned and the TOC may draw inferences in how you would get to work at unsociable hours. Once you are back behind the wheel you are half way there.

As we all know, being a conductor falls under the safety critical list so you would have to pass the medical and declare any alcohol issues. That said, just because you have been potted for drink driving doesn't mean you are alcohol dependant but it's one to bare in mind.

In terms of being a train driver - I would forget it until your conviction is at least spent. A TOC wouldn't touch you with a barge pole if you applied. As I've said I cannot see why you shouldn't be allow the chance to be a guard or train manager.

Drink driving is wrong and many people lose their lives because of it and many others suffer life changing consequences (whether it be permanent disability or losing a job). As a former cop I can confirm this, but everyone of us on this forum is human and makes mistakes and we all should at least be allowed to move on without being judged too much.

Good luck and all the best.

CJ
Please for the love of God stop posting stuff you have no idea about! A Guard is just as safety critical as a driver. If You cant see a reason why someone with a drink drive conviction shouldn't be employed as a guard then to be quite Frank you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a train!

Status
Not open for further replies.