• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor assesment day FSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee el oh

Im looking for some info in whats involved in the assesment day for role of
Conductor with FSR, Anyone been and done it?.
Cheers.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well thanks for inundating me with all your help and advice,
I'll try elsewhere then.:(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sandydriver

No idea ee el oh , but good luck !
When is your assessment?? I just completed the online tests yesterday ...so back to the waiting game lol
How long after completing the online tests did you get your assessment date through ??

ee el oh

Hi Sandydriver, looks like we're both in the same boat, did the online assesment
last week but still waiting for reply, just looking for as much info just now in case im lucky enough to move forward, did you apply to scotrail too?

Sandydriver

Hi ee el oh , yeah scotrail at glasgow ....online tests seemed easy enough so fingers crossed ...let u know if i hear anything :)
Is yours still sitting at '' invited to take online tests '' ee el oh or has it changed to a different status??

cameronw89

Hi Guys, I'm in the same boat. Done the online test at the weekend, still saying "invited to take online test" I take it no one on here has any experience of the assessment day? I would imagine it would be role play etc. It would be nice to have a wee heads up though! :)

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
Can't comment on the FSR test, but on the whole conductors tests are as follows:

Verbal Reasoning, Ticket checking & selling tests, either or both GB or SCAAT tests, role play & Structured Interview.

Northern don't do the Role Play anymore & do their Structured Interviews first. hope thats of some help

ee el oh

Hi Lads, Yeah I'm still at the "Invited to take on line assesment" stage too
but will let you all know what happens next, and thanks mattmatt, at least
you've given us something to go on.

cameronw89

Aye, it is a bit confusing lol I had it down as more of a practical setting than sitting in a classroom. This waiting is doing my head in though! The last interview I got with fsr was arranged a lot quicker than this! :-\

1) Group Bourdon Test (Or SCAAT)

2) RAAT Test (36 pieces of text containing pages from a fictional rulebook
followed by 4 questions for each page). Time limit a factor so work as quickly
as possible and re-check at end.

3) PA Test (four situations, your job to read PA's clearly, concisly and
following the rules set down on the paper)

4) Role play (Guard on a train comes across pax needing assistance).

5) Manager's Interview.
Tell us about your curent role
Why do you want to leave?
Have you experience of dealing with difficult situations / conflict
What experience do you have of cash handling
Experience of training / revising
How will you get to work?

ee el oh

At Last I got word today to go for assesment at Glasgow central on 30th
May, anybody else heard anything?

cameronw89

I've not had an email but my status is at successful at full assessment. Don't know what that means though. I'll let you know if I hear. Fingers crossed and congratulations!! You've waited long enough. Lol

Sandydriver

I've not had an email but my status is at successful at full assessment. Don't know what that means though. I'll let you know if I hear. Fingers crossed and congratulations!! You've waited long enough. Lol

Hi Lads , i was starting to lose hope there myself ......like u cameron my status has changed to successful at full assessment ...guess we just have to hope we get an email about an assessment date soon :) , well done n good luck to those with an assessment date :)
At Last I got word today to go for assesment at Glasgow central on 30th
May, anybody else heard anything?

Well done ee el oh and good luck at assessments :) , how did they contact you mate? im paranoid im missing a phone call or something now lol:roll:

ee el oh

Hi Lads , i was starting to lose hope there myself ......like u cameron my status has changed to successful at full assessment ...guess we just have to hope we get an email about an assessment date soon :) , well done n good luck to those with an assessment date :)

Well done ee el oh and good luck at assessments :) , how did they contact you mate? im paranoid im missing a phone call or something now lol:roll:

I got a text message telling me they had emailed me a date for an assesment
which is next wednesday the 30th and you then have to reply to the email
that the date is ok to attend. The next day I recieved an information pack with material to swat up on, so its heads down and into the books for me.
I hope all you guys hear soon too.

ee el oh

So ee el oh how'd your assessment go? well I hope :)

Hi Cameron,
I'm delighted to say that I passed all tests on the day, and tbh it was a very
tough day both mentally and emotionally. There were 16 people there for the assesment that began at 9.30, the two girls that ran it were really nice and put
our minds at rest and made sure we were always comfortable and new exactly
what we had to do during the tests. First up was dot test which I thought was
going to be the toughest but turned out to be the easiest as I had practiced for
a week beforehand, this definately paid off. After a pee break we were straight into the next test which was customer service situations CSS, this was a bit tougher as there are no right or wrong answers, just answer the way you would
like to be treated as a customer. While this was going on the girls were marking the previous test. Remember you are always under time limits during the tests to put you under pressure. After that came the RAAT test, the rules acquisition test, this was a toughie with not enough time to finish, I gor three quarters way through it and thought I'd blew it but I doubt anybody finished it. I think the trick is be as accurate as you can. After this we returned to the rest area while the tests were marked up. After about 15mins the two girls came out and read out five names that were to return to the classroom, mines was'nt one of them and I thought thats me failed, turned out the ones called in had failed when the other girl congratulated the rest of us there was a huge sigh of relief all round. The game was still on though as the last test was the PA test or public announcement, this I thought was the toughest, you get ten mins to read three situations involving
problems with a train, you get to take quick notes and try to absorb as much info as poss and then hand back your notes. Everyone then returns to the waiting area and you are called back in in alphabetical order to announce your
PA on a one to one basis to avoid the other candidates from hearing what you say and learning from it. This only takes a couple of minutes and your back to the waiting room, It all seems a blur but I think as long as you speak slowly and clearly (no slang) and give as much detail as poss then thats what the examiners are looking for. Shortly after I was called back in and told I had met the criteria for training as a Conducter and they once again congratulated me, I could have kissed them both and I could feel my knees buckle, I had'nt realised how tense I had been all day till on the train home my head started thumping and I felt totally exhausted.
Next stage is the Structured interview so I'm not home and free yet but feel I've crossed a huge hurdle.
Apparantly thousands have applied for this position and if some of you guys are at the successful at full assesment then you should be proud as there were very few got to that stage.
My advice if you get invited to the assesment is study the material sent to you, there will be some stuff in there too that you won't do on the day but I did this to as I felt if your in that examination swatting mode everything helps. Download the Group Bourdon Tool and do it as much as you can although on the day its on paper and pencil, Take the day before off work and study, take breaks every half hour and good luck cos if I can do it anyone can.

Hi ee el oh,

I was also at the assessment on 30th.....Passed too. Been wondering what the next step is(Obv I know its an interview,medical and disclosure) Just wasn't that clear about how long we need to wait. The impression I got was a wee while whilst they fill the train drivers position, Its killing me cos I know chances are its a lengthy wait for anything but kinda in the mind set I might be changing career soon so like a kid at Christmas everyone I know who 'knows' or has worked with FSR tell me they are very very good employers and you dont get a lot of them these days. The reason why I joined this forum is because I've been refused job opportunities in the past because of my lack of drivers licence, and thinking of very early shift and last train journeys.

Glad to see a fellow assessee(think that's what I would call it)pass

RO

cameronw89

Well done guys!! Kinda hoping I don't hear now! sounds brutal lol Best of luck at the interview stage. Keep us updated! :)

ee el oh

Thanks Cameron, don't let what i've said put you off trying, you'll never no
till you give it a go. And RO well done to you too. I think its just a case of sitting tight and waiting till they have enough people to do the interviews at
the same time, but god nows how long that will be. Do you have any idea how
many passed at the assesment?

I was 6th in for the PA test from what I gather only 2 guys came out in front of me looking like they passed. I am guessing it'll be a wait, my status updated to successful at assessment. I have been looking through the posts and I cannot seem to find the wait between the assessment stage and the interview, I suppose it will prob be different for each case. Guess I am just excited (which is sad) I'll hopefully keep you guys updated about a structured interview. Also anyone answer a question which I am worried about I don't drive and I was wondering if that would go against me in anyway?

ee el oh

Hi RO, I think being unable to drive would have stopped you getting this far,
Its a case of, as long as you can get to your work within an hour whether public
transport is available or not. I know how you feel about being excited, i feel the same but as usual we'll just have to wait it out, i'll let you know if I hear anything.

Sandydriver

Hi guys , well im still sittting at' successful at full assessment ' and have heard nothing even after emailing HR all i got was a standard type email back basically telling me to wait land see lol. Heard anything Cameron ? how bout you other guys ....any further on in the process?:)

Hey I actually got an email today. I applied for 2 positions within a week of each other, My status on the position I applied for later was showing 'awaiting shortlisting' since March/April. But I got an email saying they weren't taken my application any further for that position (part-time gateline), from what I read on here it seems pretty standard procedure (Well I hope) But according to my application status for the full time position its still reads 'successful at assessment' I was thinking of throwing them an email. I remember a lot of the people at my assessment saying they emailed them after a period of no response which makes me wonder if it was more than a coincidence. Where I work at moment I know a few train drivers and they've told me there is going to be definite vacancies in Queen St and Glasgow. Fingers Crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.