• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor Assessment Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossa

Hallo all,

Have been a casual observer of the forum till i plucked the guts to apply for a conductor role. Thanks for the inspiration
I have an assessment day in a couple of weeks so i have been in full prep mode.

Would like to inquire from those who have been through the experience how necessary it is to have any RGS knowledge as there seems quite a load to troll through. If so, what particulars am i looking for. Also role play wise, any tips on how to handle it all. Would be grateful for some advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EvoGSR

I did the assessment last year at Knollys. You don't need any information other than that included in the practice material sent. The assessments are pretty easy really, I guess the group bourdon is the hardest part. Especially as I had practiced the SCAAT so went into the bourdon blind. The bonus was that the bourdon test result was carried over to the train driver assessment and so I didn't have to take it again.

The role play is straight forward. There are several different scenarios they can use. Just be fair, polite and think how you can help the customer out of their problem. If you don't know say so, don't make something up. It's as much a test of your personality as anything, so be yourself.

Good luck!

Bossa

Thanks for that EvoGsr, genuinely was going through the RGS as it had been listed as a beneficial requirement but failing miserably. Will just have to learn to calm my nerves during the role play, got ejected at this stage for the night time csa job for the Underground.

Darren1980

Hallo all,

Have been a casual observer of the forum till i plucked the guts to apply for a conductor role. Thanks for the inspiration
I have an assessment day in a couple of weeks so i have been in full prep mode.

Would like to inquire from those who have been through the experience how necessary it is to have any RGS knowledge as there seems quite a load to troll through. If so, what particulars am i looking for. Also role play wise, any tips on how to handle it all. Would be grateful for some advice.

Took it in January, the recruitment people are really friendly and welcoming, you should have no nerves. It's the GBT followed by a TRP test, which having now done both, I believe is actually trickier than the OPC version!

Then there are ticket checking and selling exercises.

If you pass all that you get a role play.

Go through the preparation material they provide you thoroughly and use the online GBT tool; link provided in the sticky thread above.

Bossa

Did you actually go for a driver or conductor position. Only ask as the preparation material given to me contains both GBT and SCAAT material as concentration practice. Was wondering what a good level was to be at in practice.

Darren1980

I did the conductor assessment in January. If u can hammer out 9 or 10 lines with very few mistakes every two minutes you should be fine, remember, you need to show consistent performance and not fall away from sheet 2 onwards. Some people were knocking out 15 lines, others 8, all passed.

Bossa

Just wanted to thank you guys for advice given for my assessment. Only candidate there with no rail industry experience so am mighty chuffed to have got through. Have a competency based interview still to be scheduled but at least i have more time to prep. Did any of you have to do a structured interview as well?
Once more guys. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.