• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conductor Commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwalk365

Hi,
Obviously it will vary day to day but how much do conductors earn from their commission, mine will be 5%, Just wanted to see if it would be a nice little earner on top of basic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPOMan

It probably varies by conductor, those who sell the most tickets will earn the most!

tsr

Established Member
At some companies it varies per amount - eg. 5% commission taken for an amount up to £x thousand per month, then 8% for tickets sold above that.

Some TOCs' guards don't take commission, I believe, and most revenue protection staff certainly don't.

Southern OBSs have a bit of a different scheme where they take 50p for any ticket sold. Great for short-distance fares, not so good for longer distances!

I'm at 4%, working mostly penalty fare areas so not much to be sold on board, but still manage about 80-100 in a pay packet. Conductors on rural trains I believe tend to take about 300 per pay, but my base salary is higher. Hope that helps.

RPOMan

At some companies it varies per amount - eg. 5% commission taken for an amount up to £x thousand per month, then 8% for tickets sold above that.

Some TOCs' guards don't take commission, I believe, and most revenue protection staff certainly don't.

Southern OBSs have a bit of a different scheme where they take 50p for any ticket sold. Great for short-distance fares, not so good for longer distances!
I’m revenue protection and will be earning commission

Midlands way, working rosters round at 5% i would make £175-£200 every 4 weeks, pushing reasonably hard (ie through after every station, chasing people out of toilets, shaking "sleeping" ticketless passengers, no railcard new ticket, local door at start of journey, full ticket checks at handovers etc) Offering no discretion on advances i could have made another £50-100 and perminent earlies would be worth another £150.

JetStream

Midlands way, working rosters round at 5% i would make £175-£200 every 4 weeks, pushing reasonably hard (ie through after every station, chasing people out of toilets, shaking "sleeping" ticketless passengers, no railcard new ticket, local door at start of journey, full ticket checks at handovers etc) Offering no discretion on advances i could have made another £50-100 and perminent earlies would be worth another £150.

That's reasonably hard?!

the sniper

Established Member

Conflict avoidance policy obviously hasn't made it to every TOC! While you'd be a hero to many here, you'd be nightmare for some Conductor Managers... :lol:

rhys37429

I don't relay on commission as i work permanent lates. If I get that elusive London ticket then that's just extra beer tokens for the month. Roughly get £30-£50 a month if I'm on the good jobs.

Established Member
Conflict avoidance policy obviously hasn't made it to every TOC! While you'd be a hero to many here, you'd be nightmare for some Conductor Managers... :lol:

"If you're not writing reports, you ain't doing any work"

My old boss disagreed with me on this a number of times. Despite him being a CTM, he was never a guard himself... thus, easy for him to say.

craigybagel

Established Member
I used to sell all £300 a day on average at my regional TOC (so £12 a day commission at the 4% we get) - then rather ironically an Intercity TOC in my region who has a reputation for being rather hit and miss when it comes to revenue protection was forced to install barriers at most of their stations that we serve and as a result our own takings plummeted. I'm being selfish if I complain though, business wise it does make sense.

Monty

Established Member
Normally I average £150 a month in commission, we get 5% for every ticket sold at my TOC. That said I've done very well this week and hit my average in a mere 3 days, hooray for TVM failures!

Status
Not open for further replies.