Confiscated Railcard

Discussion in 'Disputes & Prosecutions' started by Roast Veg, 8 Feb 2020.

1. Adam Williams

Adam Williams Member

They can't really, can they?

This is the difference between something digital (designed to have a proper verification method involving scanning a barcode which generally doesn't inconvenience legitimate customers) and the physical alternative, though, where things are done much less elegantly.

It being written down in an "expressly clear procedure" doesn't make it any less of a poor user experience if you end up in this situation through no fault of your own, though!

2. sheff1

sheff1 Established Member

Well Fare-Cop , who is knowledgeable on such things, said they were able to withdraw any ticket or Railcard. I am sure they will be back in due course with info on the method used when the ticket and/or Railcard is displayed electronically.

3. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Interesting one.

I guess the police could seize a device (stolen pass credit/debit card ect) but not guards AFAIK.

Who would insure a top dollar device should it allegedly be damaged in the railways care?

Doubt the TOC would.

Saperstein.

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

An e-ticket or electronic Railcard can presumably be cancelled at the railway end which is equivalent to withdrawing it.

5. crablab

crablab Member

They could issue Railcards with a chip to allow some form of authentication.

Or let you 'pick up' a Railcard and store it on your bank issued card.

6. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

With barcoded tickets and railcards the validity or otherwise can be established on the spot which removes the need to withdraw them for investigation.

7. Fare-Cop

Fare-Cop Member

Yes, revenue protection staff can withdraw any paper ticket and many smartcard types, but I agree the matter of digital Railcards held on an individuals personal phone or other device does present a unique problem.

It is easy for the RPI / Guard to take an evidential quality photo of the alleged invalid Railcard, with date and time and confirm that the photograph is a true likeness of the holder, but the staff member could not retain the phone etc. Taking that action along with conducting an interview under caution and submitting a statement in the usual way would be the adopted practice in most cases.

If a Police Officer were also present s/he might be persuaded that the offence were serious enough to consider an offence under the Forgery & Counterfeiting Act and to seize the device, but there would have to be a substantial value to the loss to even consider that.

I think that a policy of ALWAYS prosecuting such cases where the evidence is irrefutable might be sufficient deterrent to minimise further misuse, but it is a challenge

Last edited: 14 Feb 2020
  8. ashkeba

ashkeba Member

Then their ID card printer has a fault? Mine would struggle to produce anything as dodgy looking as the actual Railcard I had last year.

9. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

I was meaning to suggest that some nefarious might have taken a genuine railcard, scanned it, and started printing (perhaps selling) duplicates.