• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confused about delay compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkstudent

Established Member
I am wondering since London Overground and TfL Rail don't operate delay repay scheme, would TfL be able to pocket a lot of money from that?
Especially the TfL Delay Refund threshold is 30 minutes, instead of 15 minutes offered by many TOCs. Also, connecting journeys are not covered as well.

Not sure if DfT has the power to force TfL to run the delay repay scheme on connecting journeys. I notice that passengers on Shenfield - Liverpool Street Line and Great Western Mainline Local Services are worse off in delay protection (e.g. No longer receive delay repay for non-railway issues, higher repay threshold, no protection on connecting journeys) when the infrastructure is transferred to TfL.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am wondering since London Overground and TfL Rail don't operate delay repay scheme....
Firstly delay compensation is payable as a minimum under the terms of the National Rail Conditions of Travel; Delay Repay is just one example scheme.

Just because a TOC does not have a Delay Repay scheme does not mean they do not offer delay compensation!
... would TfL be able to pocket a lot of money from that?
Your question makes no sense; I refer you to posts in this thread, which clarify some misunderstandings regarding delay compensation to passengers and schedule 8 delay compensation paid to TOCs: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/delay-repay-how-do-tocs-recover-the-cost.190012/
Especially the TfL Delay Refund threshold is 30 minutes, instead of 15 minutes offered by many TOCs.
30 is quite standard.
Also, connecting journeys are not covered as well.
I don't understand what you mean by "connecting journeys"; the whole journey is covered.
Not sure if DfT has the power to force TfL to run the delay repay scheme on connecting journeys.
I don't understand what you mean by "connecting journeys"; delay compensation applies to your journey (a journey might be Shoreditch High Street to Poppleton via London & York).

Delay compensation schemes do vary by TOC; Delay Repay is just one type of delay compensation scheme but is not the only one.

Whichever scheme is applicable, will apply for the whole journey.
I notice that passengers on Shenfield - Liverpool Street Line and Great Western Mainline Local Services are worse off in delay protection (e.g. No longer receive delay repay for non-railway issues, higher repay threshold, no protection on connecting journeys) when the infrastructure is transferred to TfL.
It is true that GWR and Greater Anglia both offer better compensation schemes than TfL.

As stated above, I do not understand what is meant by "connecting journeys" but I can confidently say you have misunderstood both the conditions and the meaning of the term "journey".

Status
Not open for further replies.