• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Confusion over the 8.07 from Mossley to Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

In the morning I usually get on the 8.07 train from Mossley to Manchester and then change at Manchester for the 8.33 service to Wigan Wallgate. Often it is difficult to make the connection as the 8.07 service is often late but usually the service to Wigan Wallgate is also late so I make it with a run. However, sometimes the train that takes me to Manchester comes in on platform 3 in Manchester and they use it for the Wigan Wallgate service. This is not always the case though and I have to get of the train and check before getting on again which is stupid. Is there set days where it goes straight through to Wigan Wallgate and set days it terminates in Manchester or is a case of whether any other train is available to go to Wigan at the time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
As an aside, this is probably best to posted in another area on the forum.... this one is mainly for fares dude :)

In the morning I usually get on the 8.07 train from Mossley to Manchester and then change at Manchester for the 8.33 service to Wigan Wallgate. Often it is difficult to make the connection as the 8.07 service is often late but usually the service to Wigan Wallgate is also late so I make it with a run. However, sometimes the train that takes me to Manchester comes in on platform 3 in Manchester and they use it for the Wigan Wallgate service. This is not always the case though and I have to get of the train and check before getting on again which is stupid. Is there set days where it goes straight through to Wigan Wallgate and set days it terminates in Manchester or is a case of whether any other train is available to go to Wigan at the time?

The 08:33 [2F87] ran to Wigan as normal today :idea:

Departed from Platform 3 a bit (7 mins) late, but made the time up on route arriving just 1 minute late at Wigan Wallgate.

Your train 08:07 (On Time) Mossley-Manchester arrived 6 minutes late this morning at 08:37 into Platform 3.

HOWEVER - You are not allowing the minimum connection time at this station, it is not a valid connection, meaning the TOC is not responsible if you miss the train (or any connecting ones).
2 minutes is certainly cutting it fine!

Last edited:

Prodigy

The 08:33 [2F87] ran to Wigan as normal today :idea:

Departed from Platform 3 a bit (7 mins) late, but made the time up on route arriving just 1 minute late at Wigan Wallgate.

Your train 08:07 (On Time) Mossley-Manchester arrived 6 minutes late this morning at 08:37 into Platform 3.

HOWEVER - You are not allowing the minimum connection time at this station, it is not a valid connection, meaning the TOC is not responsible if you miss the train (or any connecting ones).
The Mossley to Manchester was used for the Wigan Wallgate train, it was 6 minutes late in Mossley hence the delay at Manchester. That's what I don't get how come the Mossley to Manchester sometimes terminates at Manchester but other times gets used as the Wigan Wallgate service? Do the guards know this in advance of arriving at Victoria also?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also I am not so bothered if I miss the connection. I can just get the 9am train to Clitheroe as this stops at Bolton which is where I need to be.

First class

Established Member
The Mossley to Manchester was used for the Wigan Wallgate train, it was 6 minutes late in Mossley hence the delay at Manchester. That's what I don't get how come the Mossley to Manchester sometimes terminates at Manchester but other times gets used as the Wigan Wallgate service? Do the guards know this in advance of arriving at Victoria also?
Also I am not so bothered if I miss the connection. I can just get the 9am train to Clitheroe as this stops at Bolton which is where I need to be.

Diagrams can be different each day, but it will (usually) all be pre-planned and dockets issued to traincrew to reflect the train (unit) diagram. If the traincrew change at Manchester, then they may not know what service it is booked to work next, as they will only need to know where their next job is.

Prodigy

Diagrams can be different each day, but it will (usually) all be pre-planned and dockets issued to traincrew to reflect the train (unit) diagram. If the traincrew change at Manchester, then they may not know what service it is booked to work next, as they will only need to know where their next job is.

Alright cheers, I guess it's just a case of getting of the train (if it arrives on platform 3) and checking before getting back on if needs be. Obviously if it comes in on Platform 1 or 2 I know I will need to get on a different train. Just confusing that's all, I always thought the 8.33 to Wigan Wallgate came from Rochdale but the past 2 times I've gotten on the 8.07 to Manchester it's then became the service to Wigan Wallgate.

First class

Established Member
Alright cheers, I guess it's just a case of getting of the train (if it arrives on platform 3) and checking before getting back on if needs be. Obviously if it comes in on Platform 1 or 2 I know I will need to get on a different train. Just confusing that's all, I always thought the 8.33 to Wigan Wallgate came from Rochdale but the past 2 times I've gotten on the 8.07 to Manchester it's then became the service to Wigan Wallgate.

Just checking 2F87, it usually comes from Todmorden, and it is saying it did today, so it can't have been the 08:07 train from Mossley unless they both coupled up (which would make sense as it has a 10 minute wait booked at Victoria).

Prodigy

I'm not sure to be honest with you. Is it possible for them to couple up at Huddersfield (where the 8.07 Mossley comes from) or Marsden

pemma

Veteran Member

The service from Huddersfield would arrive around 5 minutes early if it is not delayed en route, so I imagine most days it would be fine.

Northern only pay out compensation if a delayed/cancelled train causes you to arrive at your destination 60 minutes or more late so with Victoria-Wigan services being more frequently than hourly it's not likely to effect the OP.

Just checking 2F87, it usually comes from Todmorden, and it is saying it did today, so it can't have been the 08:07 train from Mossley unless they both coupled up (which would make sense as it has a 10 minute wait booked at Victoria).

The 08.33 (07.44 ex todmorden ) is already a 4 car train (2x 142/150/156).

Established Member
I think there's been a small handful of occasions recently when short of units where they've borrowed the set off the Huddersfield service for the Wigan.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Since this is the NR General Discussion forum, Prodigy was correct in posting his query on here.

I think that you assumed that you were on the Ticketing and Fares forum, when you made your final comment above.

I don't know when you first spotted this thread, however it's perfectly possible that Prodigy did post it in the Fares section but it then got moved afterwards into General Discussion ;)

Prodigy

Yeah I posted in the fares,tickets and reuting section at first.
Whilst on the topic of this thread then, will there ever be a possibility of a service from Huddersfield to Wigan? They used to have on in the morning I believe but it stopped and changed to a southport service. Really would be convenient to have one or two direct links for commuters along that line to Bolton and Wigan in the morning, but that's just my eyes and obvious things my not allow this

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Since this is the NR General Discussion forum, Prodigy was correct in posting his query on here.

I think that you assumed that you were on the Ticketing and Fares forum, when you made your final comment above.

It was in Fares, Tickets & Routeing when it was originally posted, and has obviously since been moved by a mod, so First class was correct.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It was in Fares, Tickets & Routeing when it was originally posted, and has obviously since been moved by a mod, so First class was correct.

It might therefore have been a good idea to have a prefix note added to that effect.....otherwise how are we to know. ainsworth74 has already made this point of where the original posting was clear, followed by prodigy who made the original posting, so yours is now the third clarification.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Paul, I think there's normally little point in commenting on references made to which forum a thread is in, because moderators regularly move incorrectly located threads around. It makes very little material difference to anyone anyway, other than perhaps the OP, as it's just a convenience thing. You may have noticed that 8 hours passed between the original mention by First Class and your assertion without any of the circling pedants saying anything... :D

I'm intrigued by the concept of a train arriving in Manchester and then sometimes forming a service just 2 minutes later! It doesn't sound like something diagrammed, so are Northern regularly that short of units/disrupted? It makes some of the EC 20 minute turn-arounds look positively roomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.