• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connecting walks between unusual station pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
This week I had an opportunity to walk between Williamwood and Clarkston which saved time instead of changing at Glasgow Central. I could have also walked between Neilston and Barrhead but this was at least twice as long at 40 minutes.

Have you made any interesting walking connections between unusual station pairs? (St Budeaux can't count!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E100

Not sure if it counts. Newcastle (Central) and Monument Metro station. It's often considerably quicker, assuming you don't have luggage, to walk from the rail station to monument to head out west along the north of the Tyne, rather than wait and get a train from Central to Monument in order to change.

Oscar46016

Cardiff Central to the bay is easier to walk than Cardiff central to Queen St change and then the bay.

xotGD

Established Member
North Woolwich to Woolwich Arsenal

Today: Blackpool North to Blackpool South

(OK, so neither especially unusual)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This week I had an opportunity to walk between Williamwood and Clarkston which saved time instead of changing at Glasgow Central. I could have also walked between Neilston and Barrhead but this was at least twice as long at 40 minutes.

Have you made any interesting walking connections between unusual station pairs? (St Budeaux can't count!)

Are you looking for pairs of stations where it is quicker to walk between the two rather than take the train? If so I give you Southend Central to Southend Victoria.

xotGD

Established Member
Thought of another one: Kensington Olympia to Euston

Cletus

Established Member
Unlike some other I like getting off trains, so in London today i did Clapton to Lea Bridge, also Liverpool Street to Cannon Street (easier in big cities of course)

Some other examples
New Mill Newtown to New Mills Central (via the Millennium walkway)
Chapel-en-Le-Frith to Chinley
Clifton to Swinton (Manchester)

Will be in the Welsh Valleys in June so will be doing some walking there including Coryton to Radyr.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Enfield Chase to Southbury
Tattenham Corner to Epsom Downs
Hampton Court to Hampton Wick

I've done the previously mentioned Swinton to Clifton walk before. It's a reasonably lengthy one, but can often get you out of the "one train a day predicament" that Clifton presents.

Gathursty

Established Member
Thought of another one: Kensington Olympia to Euston

I'm looking for more unusual pairs like this. Another example I've done is walk from Elmers End to Birkbeck. Why did you walk from Kenny O all the way to Euston??

Mike99

Penge West to Penge East, Kent House to Clock House, Bromley South to Bromley North, Elmers End to Birkbeck,

xotGD

Established Member
I'm looking for more unusual pairs like this. Another example I've done is walk from Elmers End to Birkbeck. Why did you walk from Kenny O all the way to Euston??
1. Exercise
2. Killing time before catching the Fort William overnight
3. Popped in a couple of pubs on the way
4. Saved the tube fare!

gnolife

Established Member
Heald Green to Cheadle Hulme - I used to usethis one a lot going between MIA and stations to Macc
Saltmarshe to Eastrington - due to the extremely limited service at Eastrington, I took this walk overnight.
Springburn to Bishopbriggs - going to somewhere in the middle of Croy and Cumbernauld, I took this walk having just missed the Cumbernauld train (this is while they were hourly) to try and save a bit of time. This didn't go to plan - I got to Bishopbriggs just after a Croy train left.
On a telated note to Clarkston to Williamwood, Muirend to Langside and Maxwell Park to Crossmyloof

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I don't suppose there are many wanting to do the journey, but how about passengers from the Lancaster line who want to go to S&C stations? There are not many connections to be made at Long Preston, nor even Hellifield, especially in the mornings. Do they walk from Giggleswick to Settle? (and v v)?

gnolife

Established Member
I've just managed to completely bamboozle the guard on the Kyle train by walking from Plockton to Duncraig

Kite159

Veteran Member
I don't suppose there are many wanting to do the journey, but how about passengers from the Lancaster line who want to go to S&C stations? There are not many connections to be made at Long Preston, nor even Hellifield, especially in the mornings. Do they walk from Giggleswick to Settle? (and v v)?

I've done Settle to Giggleswick a couple times, back when a Leeds service from Carlisle ran fast from Settle to Skipton, so the walk was the only way to connect with a Lancaster service (as it missed it by a couple minutes at Skipton)

new mills newtown to new mills central keeps you in Derbyshire wayfarer land.

Also a walk that's very much worth doing whether you're connecting between trains or not. I vote this as possibly the most beautiful of train connections.

How about Oulton Broad North to Oulton Broad South? Unusual simply because I don't think many people actually connect between the 2 lines, the majority of passengers are coming to and from Lowestoft choosing destinations either on the Norwich or Ipswich lines. For example, I shouldn't think a flow such as Somerleyton to Beccles is going to attract that many people.

Having said that, the connections at Lowestoft might not make walking any quicker. I'm sure both trains are timed to be at Lowestoft at the same time as each other.

I've cycled between Great Yarmouth Vauxhall and Oulton Broad North...but not walking I know!

Greybeard33

Established Member
Not one I have done myself, but how about Upper Tyndrum to Tyndrum Lower, if travelling from Fort William to Oban? A gentle stroll and time for a snack in the cafe, instead of trundling to Crianlarich and back.

A bit more strenuous in the reverse direction, though.

jawr256

Here's a few I've done (ignoring walks between consecutive stations on the same line):

Connecting from one train to another (not necessarily optimal!):
Buckshaw Parkway to Euxton Balshaw Lane
South Elmsall to Moorthorpe
Deansgate to Salford Central
Sherburn-in-Elmet to South Milford
Settle to Giggleswick
Shadowmoss (Metrolink) to Styal
Reddish North to Reddish South
Upper Tyndrum to Tyndrum Lower
Burscough Junction to Burscough Bridge

Recreational walks:
Buckshaw Parkway to Pleasington
Poulton-le-Fylde to Squires Gate
Radcliffe (Metrolink) to Clifton
Hapton to Ramsgreave & Wilpshire
Entwistle to Burrs Country Park (ELR)
Nelson to Huncoat

Spamcan81

Back in the 80s I did Settle to Giggleswick by bike while on a rail rover.

Established Member
There are a few marked on the Tube / National Rail map in London, such as Hackney Downs to Hackney Central (the connection is named after local resident and Rail Future director Roger Blake) and Forest Gate to Wanstead Park. Manor Park to Woodgrange Park is walkable but not shown so there must be a distance limit to qualify.

Status
Not open for further replies.