• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connecting walks between unusual station pairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
I walked Dunrobin Castle to Golspie this afternoon, about half of it was walking on the side of the road, but just after the second castle gate, there's a footpath on the left that goes a very pleasant way tgrough some woods to the coast

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I walked Dunrobin Castle to Golspie this afternoon, about half of it was walking on the side of the road, but just after the second castle gate, there's a footpath on the left that goes a very pleasant way tgrough some woods to the coast

And it has a nice beach. Good weather as well today

geoffk

Established Member
In recent years I've done
Moorthorpe to South Elmsall
Burscough Jn to Burscough Bridge
Moston to Newton Heath & Moston Metrolink
Manors T&W Metro to Manors National Rail
New Mills Central to Newtown
Marple to Rose Hill
Walton to Rice Lane
Hessle to Barton-on-Humber (on a fine day with no wind)

None of these would form part of a "normal" train journey. Manors was the most difficult as the National Rail station was not signed and no-one I asked knew where it was! What about ticket validity? Would a Preston - Southport ticket be valid using the walk at Burscough, or a Buxton - Sheffield ticket via New Mills?

jawr256

In recent years I've done
None of these would form part of a "normal" train journey. Manors was the most difficult as the National Rail station was not signed and no-one I asked knew where it was! What about ticket validity? Would a Preston - Southport ticket be valid using the walk at Burscough, or a Buxton - Sheffield ticket via New Mills?

The walks at Burscough and New Mills are included as fixed links in the data and are returned by journey planners as valid itineraries for the journeys you mention and many others (though may need you to specify via points). Manchester - New Mills Central - New Mills Newtown - Buxton is also a valid alternative route that I've used.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Rugeley TV to Uttoxeter.
Whatstandwell to Buxton - taxi from the end of the Tissington trail as I couldn't see a decent off-road route and my feet were killing me.
Cromer to Sheringham - got lost and ended up walking in a complete circle. Nearly two hours to wait for the train back but at least I had a ride on a railbus on the North Norfolk.

Cletus

Established Member
Did 2 today:
London Road (Brighton) to Preston Park.
Little haven to Warnham.

For leisure, some of these as parts of round rail trips, have walked Windermere to Grange over Sands, Matlock Bath to Whatstandwell, Rotherham to Meadowhall, Brigg to Barnetby, Barton upon Humber to Hessle, Goodmayes to Ilford, Mansfield Woodhouse to Mansfield, Gainsborough Central to Lea Road(on a Tuesday in 1993), Thanks for the memories......

StoneRoad

Done the Newcastle Central to Monument walk many times, and sort of in the reverse direction, as in Jesmond to down to Central.

For a short walking connection, how about - Minffordd Festiniog to/from Cambrian Coast Minffordd. The distances between the equivalents in Penrhyndeudreath and Porthmadog are somewhat further (in the former case, much steeper, as well)

Mike99

This is a fun one which uses a pedestrian tunnel and takes you through the middle of the triangle formed by the Hayes Line, Chatham Main and New Beckenham curve. It’s mostly filled with allotments.
Yep, my old local area as a teenager, spent 5 years going from Penge East and then Kent House to Bromley South for school, 1969 - 1974

vlad

If we're doing "stations that I've walked between", how about:
Codsall and Penkridge
Chester and Delamere
Disley and Wilmslow
Cromford and Derby

geoffk

Established Member
The walks at Burscough and New Mills are included as fixed links in the data and are returned by journey planners as valid itineraries for the journeys you mention and many others (though may need you to specify via points). Manchester - New Mills Central - New Mills Newtown - Buxton is also a valid alternative route that I've used.
How about Runcorn to Runcorn East? It looks like over three miles on the map. Unlikely anyone would want to walk it, especially now there is the new Chester - Liverpool via Runcorn service. Or Hartford to Greenbank, around a mile.

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Did Burscough Junction to Burscough Bridge last week.
Also Meols Cop to Birkdale.

Kingspanner

Nearly walked from Stockton to Thornaby this evening after a misunderstanding and a big scrap. Leaving Stockton one is confronted by a curious residential area then a monstrous 4 lane bypass. Into the town one encounters native revellers of a rare and extraordinary kind and should do as I did, take a taxi. Otherwise march the length of the High Street, negotiate a further immense bypass and carry on past Burger King to the only redeeming feature of the 1.2 miles, the Victoria bridge. Then cross another road junction, pass the bus shelters and then go down the vehicle ramp to Thornaby Station.
Am I selling it? I think the Tourist Board has vacancies...

philjo

Established Member
Our walking group did Finsbury Park to Kings Cross earlier this year.
About 10 miles - via Northern Heights footpath, Highgate, Hampstead Heath, Primrose Hill, Regents Park and the Canal towpath.

Also did Huntingdon to St Neots along the River Ouse path last year (about 14 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.