• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connection at Edinburgh Waverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

I'm looking to travel on a VTEC service that is booked into Edinburgh Platform 11 at 13:20 on a weekday from London Kings Cross, I wish to connect onto a Borders Line service which departs Edinburgh at 13:24, booked from Platform 7.

From what I can tell, Platform 11 and 7 form two different ends of the same platform, can you confirm this?

Although not an official connection; if my VTEC arrival is on time arriving, is this connection realistic? Which end of the train do I need to travelling in on arrival?

Your advice greatly appreciated.

TP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Although not an official connection; if my VTEC arrival is on time arriving, is this connection realistic? Which end of the train do I need to travelling in on arrival?
It's a bit optimistic, but doable if you jog. You'll need to be at the First Class end of the VTEC train.

southern442

Established Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to travel on a VTEC service that is booked into Edinburgh Platform 11 at 13:20 on a weekday from London Kings Cross, I wish to connect onto a Borders Line service which departs Edinburgh at 13:24, booked from Platform 7.

From what I can tell, Platform 11 and 7 form two different ends of the same platform, can you confirm this?

Your advice greatly appreciated.

TP

That is correct; 7 and 11 form one long platform. You could definitely make the connection in good time, but be prepared to run a bit if it's late of course. I believe platform 11 is the western one of the two, so the rear of the train would be best.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's a bit optimistic, but doable if you jog. You'll need to be at the First Class end of the VTEC train.
That's convenient, it is optimistic and most certainly won't be the end of the world if I don't make it! Cheers.

Established Member
P11 is at the west end of the station and P7 at the east, but they are opposite ends of a very long continuous platform. So, yes, you need to be at the London end of the VTEC train and be ready to move quickly. This of course assumes that both trains use their promised platforms, something that's by no means guaranteed.

My advice is to plan to catch the next Borders train. My last few arrivals into Waverley from Newcastle have been around 10 minutes adrift, to be honest I'd give you no more than a 30% chance that you'll make your connection.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The minimum connectional time at Edinburgh is 10 minutes but if you have the wind behind, so to speak, you could make the connection

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Indeed, as I've said it is an ideal and if we arrive on time and routed as booked... The reason behind my posted is that I wanted to gauge whether, in the situation whereby I have the full four minutes available, would it be worth a shot. Thanks to those who have contributed. :smile:

jzw95

Note also that whilst the VTEC train will occupy the full length of platform 11, so you will be near the beginning of platform 7, the short Borders train will be stopped at the far (eastern) end of platform 7, and it is quite long. So even if you're on time you need to move fast! You'll likely see the Borders train from the window of the door as you are pressed against it eagerly waiting to arrive and dash off! The VTEC train will pass it on a parallel track before pulling in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me123

Established Member
I agree with the above, if you have the full four minutes it should be achievable. If you walk briskly. JZW95 has correctly noted that the train will be at the London end of P7, so you will have to walk pretty much the full length of that platform I'm afraid.

You'll need to be on time, as close to the back of the train as you can get, ensure there's no platform alterations and be prepared to move quickly. But if this all falls into place, it is possible IMO. Check the platforms on realtimetrains/other source, make sure you're at the rearmost door, and be prepared to go. On the plus side, there's not a lot of traffic in that part of the station that's not for those trains, so you shouldn't be bumping into people.

If there was to be a platform alteration on the other hand... I think you'd be struggling. Something like Platform 11 to Platform 1 would be pretty much impossible to do in four minutes, particularly if you don't know the station well.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
you'll get routed in to 8 and the connection will go from 1 :P

anti-pacer

Established Member
I want to know if you make it. Please do let us know.

I've managed a tight connection there before.

iain-j

You've never lived if you haven't done the Full Waverley sprint, getting of a 158 at platform 18 to get a train at the far end of platform 7 in 4 minutes or less.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Alas, due to the [thread=131218]overhead knitting being down at Retford[/thread], I'm not going to make (nor have a chance to attempt) this connection today.

me123

Established Member
Aww, I was quite curious to see if it would work out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.