• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connection time at Brussels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I have booked tickets to travel from from St Pancras to Cologne (via Brussels) in a couple of weeks and travelling with my elderly father-in-law. I am told the connection time is only 15 minutes.

Considering the fact I have only been to Brussels station once (and this was a while ago), and my elderly passenger, what are the chances of making our connection?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Very good - use the Zuidgang/Couloir Sud, as shown here: https://www.seat61.com/stations/brussels-midi.htm#Short_cut

If you're at the front of the train however it makes more sense to use the main exit - if there's a lot of people waiting for the lifts, turn left and use the escalators instead, which not many people seem to do! (If your elderly passenger is alright with this, of course.)

Last edited:

k-c-p

The Zuidgang/Couloir Sud is the best choice, but sometimes it is closed.

I did four tours St. Pancras -> Germany this year: Twice the shortcut was open and twice it was closed. If it was closed the direct access stairs from the main concourse to the Germany bound platforms was closed as well and I had to access my ICE train via the escalators around the corner from the ticket office (at least once I passed some kind of check point, but the police guys just waived everybody through).

Usually, the train crew will announce whether the short cut is open or not. Might be worth to ask the train manager when he passes through the train. If the short cut is closed and you are in the rear part of the train, ask the train manager to give his Thalys or DB colleagues a heads-up as 15min might be a little tight (depending on you father in laws mobility).

I concur with 317666's advice to skip the elevators of the main exit as there is usually a long queue.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Thanks guys, very useful indeed. My elderly father-in-law walks rather slowly with a stick and gets very anxious and dawdles about if he doesn't know where he is (i.e. in a foreign land). I'll print the page provided by 317666 and ensure he's on speed....

Veteran Member
Thanks guys, very useful indeed. My elderly father-in-law walks rather slowly with a stick and gets very anxious and dawdles about if he doesn't know where he is (i.e. in a foreign land). I'll print the page provided by 317666 and ensure he's on speed....
Is it worth arranging assistance? No idea if that would work with a tight connection.

Hophead

Established Member
It can also, in my experience, take a few minutes to get off the train as well (end doors, passengers with luggage, much of which has to be hoiked off the luggage racks causing a bit of a backlog). I'd advise trying to find the likely onward platform ahead of arrival, in order to increase your chances of making the connection. That connection presumably being international? Internal Belgian trains run frequently (probably at least half-hourly from Brussels to any important destination).

MarcVD

I came back from Frankfurt yesterday, had a connection of 30 minutes, but the ICE was 25 minutes late, and I was loaded with 3 weeks worth of luggage. Arrived on track 6, connecting train on track 21. I made it...

cactustwirly

Established Member
I did this last Monday, and made it with plenty of time to spare.
The Eurostar is quite punctual.
If you use the "Anschluss - Connections" stairs adjacent to coach 6, then it isn't far at all.
The ICE train should depart from platform 6.

cactustwirly

Established Member
There are 5 of us + large suitcases and getting (I presume) an ICE to Cologne. Yes, will try and look in advance whilst on the Eurostar

I assume you're on the 1425 from Brussels?
It's destination is Frankfurt Hbf, but it will stop at Cologne (Köln)

Status
Not open for further replies.