• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Connection time from domestic to Eurostar services at St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulcleaver

I've had a look in the forums but can't see the answer.

I'm thinking of travelling on an East Midlands Trains service scheduled to arrive at St Pancras at 06:19, to then take a Eurostar service scheduled to depart at 06:50.

Is that connection too tight, or would I be ok?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unless you're travelling in Business Premier you need to check in at least 30 minutes prior to departure (BP can check in 10 minutes before). So that is very tight but, as far as I'm aware, Eurostar don't actually turn people away unless they turn up only a few minutes before departure. The 30 minutes thing appears to be to ensure they don't have a train load of people arriving two minutes before departure.

Also ensure your ticket to St Pancras is actually to London International (CIV) this means that in the event of delays you'd be covered by the international conditions of carriage and allowed to get the next Eurostar to your destination.

Groningen

Established Member
You are sure that your train arrives at 6.19 in London. Never had delays in the past? Ha; i see: Leicester 04:45 - Kettering 05:05 - Wellingborough 05:17 - Bedford 05:38 - Luton Airport Parkway 05:56 - London St. Pancras 06:19. Yes; there is no earlier train or you have to arrive at 23.38 and wait 7 hours.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Also ensure your ticket to St Pancras is actually to London International (CIV) this means that in the event of delays you'd be covered by the international conditions of carriage and allowed to get the next Eurostar to your destination.

I think that is highly questionable if the OP is deliberately not planning to arrive (minimum connection period at St P + 30 minutes) before departure.

paulcleaver

Thank you all for your replies.

My dilema was to travel down earlier and stay overnight or risk the morning service.

Would a xxxx to London CIV ticket be valid, if I did indeed encounter a delay, given the difference between scheduled arrival at 06:19 and Eurostar departure 06:50 is 31 minutes?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would a xxxx to London CIV ticket be valid, if I did indeed encounter a delay, given the difference between scheduled arrival at 06:19 and Eurostar departure 06:50 is 31 minutes?
They won't knowingly sell you a ticket with an invalid connection time.

westcoaster

Established Member
Thank you all for your replies.

My dilema was to travel down earlier and stay overnight or risk the morning service.

The first southbound is pretty reliable but varies week to week depending on engineering work, and what route it takes.
Where abouts will you board out of interest.

paulcleaver

Lesta me duck

The 03.05 Megabus arrives Victoria Coach Station at 05:50 am and is £1, but then Ive still got to race it across to St Pancras before 06:20.

I think I will bite the bullet and stay the night in London.

Last edited:

Abpj17

I'd be happier staying over - or at least staying over closer to London. The Hilton Hampton next to Luton Airport can be reasonable in advance or if you are willing to brave it the EasyHotel in Luton is close to the station. The train isn't as quick as EMT, but there are services through the night into St P.

The gap seems too small to risk - you might get away with it as St P may be quieter than early, but, particularly Monday morning/post engineering works there can be inbound delays on the domestic lines.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You need to stay overnight. The chances of something going wrong and delaying your arrival at St Pancras are not insignificant!

Hophead

Established Member
Get the last train south; faff about for a while; head down to Gatwick; faff about some more; get an early train back up.... :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.